Legal News Articles - Employment
November 12, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Supreme Court Petitioned to Hear Another ERISA Case ]
Washington, DC While plaintiffs in one ERISA lawsuit have been given the opportunity to present their case to the Supreme Court, plaintiffs in another ERISA plan lawsuit wait to hear if the Supreme Court will hear their case. Both issues bring forward complex issues concerning how ERISA 401(k) plans are run and could have wide-ranging implications for such benefits plans.
November 7, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Off-the-Clock Work Lawsuits Combine to $9 Million in Settlements ]
Fort Worth, TX Two separate unpaid wages lawsuits that alleged off-the-clock work required of employees before their paid workday even began, have recently settled and the settlement amounts approved. Combined, the settlements add up to $9 million: $3 million in a settlement reached with defendant SuperMedia Inc., and $6 million in a similar settlement reached last April and approved in recent days against TD Bank NA.
November 5, 2014. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Does Working Double Shift Count for California Overtime? Attorney Weighs In… ]
Los Angeles, CA Andy, who works as a Licensed Vocational Nurse in a Nursing Home, wants to know whether his employer is violating the California labor law by not paying the nurses California overtime when they work a double shift. “I think they are trying to cut costs and finding any loopholes to save money,” Andy says. LawyersandSettlements asks an employment attorney to advise Andy.
October 31, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Will Relaxed Implementation of FLSA Standards for Domestic Workers Backfire? ]
Washington, DC A ruling by the US Department of Labor (DOL) with regard to overtime pay laws for domestic and in-home workers has the potential to not only confuse the issue for employers, it could also give litigants eyeing an unpaid overtime lawsuit a leg up for any pending proceedings.
October 18, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Ohio Overtime Lawsuit Filed against Restaurant Chain ]
Columbus, OH A former waitress has filed an Ohio employment lawsuit, alleging violations of federal and Ohio labor laws, including failure to pay minimum wage and failure to pay overtime. The Ohio overtime lawsuit has been granted class-action status.
October 18, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Respected Non-Profit Reports Problems with Internet Payday Loans: Survey ]
Washington, DC You have to know that something is a definitive issue when the venerable Cable News Network aka CNN gets into the act. This time it’s CNNMoney, reporting on Internet payday loans and the efforts of the Pew Charitable Trusts to establish a snapshot of just how bad things can get. Given the availability and ease of acquiring a payday loan online, little wonder so many Americans and even state Attorneys General are filing a payday loan lawsuit.
October 17, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Forced Arbitration: Corporations Opting Out of Justice and Fairness ]
Washington, DC There are two distinct messages to be taken away from the whole debacle of forced binding arbitration: 1) The basic ideals of our forefathers are going to hell in a hand basket, and 2) Equality is dead.
October 9, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Personal Attendants Eligible for Overtime Pay ]
Sacramento, CA For personal attendants who have long been subject to unpaid overtime, the Domestic Workers Bill of Rights now provides them with overtime pay. The problem could be making sure their employers actually follow California’s overtime pay laws. Employers who would prefer to continue paying their personal attendants a day rate for time worked will find themselves on the wrong side of the law.
October 7, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Unpaid Wages Lawsuit Being Watched Very Carefully ]
Washington, DC Tomorrow, the US Supreme Court is scheduled to hear arguments over an off-the-clock work lawsuit involving the giant online retailer Amazon Inc. What the top court decides will determine whether or not the unpaid wages lawsuit will get to federal trial court. If it gets that far, Amazon may find itself on a track that could eventually result in a $100 million bill to settle compensation claims over back wages from some 400,000 workers.
October 4, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Stock Options Case ]
Washington, DC The US Supreme Court will hear an ERISA lawsuit alleging a company provided imprudent investments for an ERISA plan. The case was taken to the Supreme Court after lower courts found that employees at Edison International could not file suit because the statute of limitations on the employee benefits claim had run out.
- Microsoft to Pay $2 Million in Workplace Bullying Case By Brenda Craig (Oct-4-14)
- Supreme Court Asked to Hear Donning and Doffing Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Sep-29-14)
- Domestic Workers and Personal Attendants Still Targets of California Overtime Violations By Jane Mundy (Sep-29-14)
- Following Suit: Egress/Regress Lawsuit Updates By Heidi Turner (Sep-23-14)
- ERISA Turns 40 By Heidi Turner (Sep-17-14)
- Internet Payday Lender Group Sues, Regulators Promptly Fight Back By Gordon Gibb (Sep-15-14)
- Defunct Sushi Restaurant Owner Pays $35,000 in Ohio Employment Restitution By Gordon Gibb (Sep-2-14)
- Employer Must Defend Against A Wrongful Death Lawsuit For Not Monitoring Employee Computer Use By The National Trial Lawyers (Aug-29-14)
- Tyson Loses Donning and Doffing Appeal By Heidi Turner (Aug-25-14)
- Preliminary Approval of Settlement in Regions Morgan Keegan ERISA Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Aug-22-14)
- Health Provider Faces $16.5 Million Hit in Proposed California Overtime Pay Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Aug-21-14)
- An Interview with Michael Mercieca—The Man Who Fought Microsoft and Won By Brenda Craig (Aug-19-14)
- The California Labor Law File: Two Wins for the Plaintiffs By Gordon Gibb (Aug-11-14)
- LinkedIn to Pay Nearly $6 Million in Overtime Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Aug-10-14)
- Crackdown on Illegal Internet Payday Loans Nets Help for Consumers By Gordon Gibb (Aug-4-14)
- Save-A-Lot to Pay A lot to Ohio Employment Plaintiffs and Others By Gordon Gibb (Aug-3-14)
- Proposed Class-Action California Overtime Lawsuit v. The Gap Will Continue By Gordon Gibb (Jul-31-14)
- Robert “Bob” French, Beloved Bryan/College Station Chief Meteorologist Files Federal Lawsuit Against KBTX By LAS Staff Writer (Jul-28-14)
- Why Do Plaintiffs Want Penalties Reduced in Off-the-Clock Work Case? By Gordon Gibb (Jul-23-14)
- Sports Overtime Pay Lawsuits Filed in California By Heidi Turner (Jul-20-14)
- Overtime and Wage Violations Seen in Unlikely Places By Heidi Turner (Jul-19-14)
- LawyersandSettlements.com Interviews Attorney Roy Pollack About The Recent Microsoft Wrongful Termination Lawsuit Decision By LAS Staff Writer (Jul-16-14)
- California Overtime Law Applies to Group Homes By Jane Mundy (Jul-14-14)
- Is Your Internet Payday Loan Provider Legal Where You Live? By Gordon Gibb (Jul-11-14)
- Supreme Court Rejects Presumption of Prudence in ERISA Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Jul-6-14)
- Plaintiffs in Texas Lawsuit Seek Pay for Riding Company Bus By Gordon Gibb (Jul-1-14)
- California Labor Lawsuit Filed by Caregivers By Heidi Turner (Jun-30-14)
- Petco’s Motion to Dismiss Overtime Pay Claim Denied By Heidi Turner (Jun-28-14)
- Unpaid Wages Lawsuit Settled By Heidi Turner (Jun-25-14)
- Healthcare Contractor Hit with Unpaid Overtime Lawsuit, Plaintiffs Allege Missed Breaks By Gordon Gibb (Jun-19-14)
- $1.2M Settlement for Best Buy Worker Who Slipped Out of Unsafe Harness By The National Trial Lawyers (Jun-19-14)
- Internet Payday Lender May Owe As Much As $20 Million to Consumers By Gordon Gibb (Jun-15-14)
- Cleveland Settles Ohio Employment Class Action with Municipal Workers By Gordon Gibb (Jun-13-14)
- Texas Employment: Construction Workers Subject to Violations of Their Rights By Heidi Turner (Jun-12-14)
- ERISA Lawsuits: DOL Taking Action against ERISA Violations By Heidi Turner (Jun-12-14)
- Snoop Dogg Dodges California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Jun-9-14)
- Contractor Hit with Lawsuit for Ohio Employment Violations By Gordon Gibb (May-31-14)
- Texas Employment Law: Independent Contractors vs. Employees By Heidi Turner (May-29-14)
- California Lawsuit Results in $21 Million Settlement By Heidi Turner (May-28-14)
- Bullied Microsoft Employee Gave His “Heart and Soul” to the Company By Brenda Craig (May-23-14)