Legal News Articles - Employment
July 24, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ FLSA, Wages and Fair Labor Standards Act, The National Retail Federation ]
Sacramento, CA The Department of Labor’s proposal to revise overtime exemptions will also affect California overtime laws, even though the state’s overtime exemptions are stricter than that of the FLSA (Wages and Fair Labor Standards Act).
July 22, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Donning and Doffing Lawsuit ]
Washington, DC The US Supreme Court has agreed to hear an unpaid wages lawsuit alleging employees were not properly paid for putting on and taking off protective gear for work. The lawsuit was filed by Tyson Foods employees who won the case when in the lower courts. Tyson Foods appealed the award, however, arguing the class should not have been certified.
July 17, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Arkansas Supreme Court Affirms Class-Action Status in Nursing Overtime Lawsuit ]
Little Rock, AR Nurses remain the unsung heroes of medicine, regardless of jurisdiction. Thus, it appears patently unfair and unjust when nurses accuse their employers of stiffing them from overtime for work performed outside of their shifts, and when working through meal breaks. A Nursing Overtime Lawsuit seeking class-action status in Arkansas will go ahead after the state’s Supreme Court upheld a lower court’s ruling that class-action status is warranted.
July 14, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Rent-A-Center and More California Labor Law Violations ]
Los Angeles, CA It’s a toss-up whether Rent-A-Center has more disgruntled customers than it does employees. However, one thing is a sure bet: the company must have deep pockets to pay for more California labor law violations.
July 11, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Lawmaker: Cheerleaders Should Be Given Overtime Pay ]
San Francisco, CA Lawmakers could move to give cheerleaders California overtime pay, now that a bill regarding cheerleaders has been sent to the California governor. The legislation follows the filing of numerous lawsuits in California and across the US alleging cheerleaders were misclassified as independent contractors and did not receive proper minimum wage and overtime pay.
June 27, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Automatic Clock-Out Spells Potential California Overtime Lawsuit ]
Sacramento, CA Employers who have in place automatic clock-out to monitor when employees begin and finish their shift and take meal breaks could be facing a California overtime lawsuit. Attorney Ben Stewart says that “auto clock-out” is prevalent in lots of businesses and the system is increasingly abused, to the detriment of workers.
June 23, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Los Cuidadores a la Espera de Horas Extraordinarias de California ]
Los Angeles, CA Charlene renunció a su trabajo como supervisor minorista para cuidar de su madre, que requiere atención 24/7. "Yo no tengo ningún ahorro u otros medios de ingreso, así que contaba con un salario justo y las horas extraordinarias de California cuando el IHSS patada en enero pasado", dice Charlene.
June 21, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Unpaid Overtime Plaintiff Alleges Misclassification in Class-Action Lawsuit ]
San Francisco, CA Yet another California overtime pay laws class action alleging misclassification of employees as independent contractors has been filed, this time by an employee of a start-up valet parking service. The allegation holds that the defendant, Luxe Valet Inc., controls every singular aspect of the parking process as if attendants were employees. But they are not. In so doing, it is alleged that Valet attendants miss out on overtime pay under California overtime law.
June 18, 2015. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Uber Drivers Are Employees California Labor Commissioner’s Office Rules ]
San Francisco, CA A landmark decision has been reached by the California Labor Commissioner’s Office, favoring Uber drivers who claim to be employees, not contractors. If upheld, Uber drivers would be entitled to health care benefits, worker’s compensation and payroll taxes, as well as reimbursable expenses such as gas and car maintenance, under California labor law.
June 17, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Unsealed E-mails to Apple CEO Allege Off-the-Clock Work through Bag Checks ]
Los Angeles, CA As successor to Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Jobs, Tim Cook may be the face presented to the world when new products such as the Apple watch are released. But he’s also an employer too, and a number of employees have taken Cook and Apple Inc. to task over unpaid wages claims and off the clock work.
- Walmart Could Owe $100 Million in Back Pay By Heidi Turner (Jun-13-15)
- Nevada Employment Plaintiff Wins Appeal, Lawsuit Can Continue By Gordon Gibb (Jun-12-15)
- Armored Vehicle Drivers and Couriers: Due Diligence Required By Gordon Gibb (Jun-7-15)
- Female Mounties Allege Gender Harassment in Class-Action Hearing By Gordon Gibb (Jun-3-15)
- Indian National Launches Overtime Pay Laws Class Action against Wipro By Gordon Gibb (May-30-15)
- Tyson Donning and Doffing Petition Sent to Supreme Court By Heidi Turner (May-26-15)
- AT&T Faces California Overtime Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (May-21-15)
- Au pairs and Massachusetts Labor Law: Cultural Exchange or Exploitation? By Gordon Gibb (May-7-15)
- Walmart Accused of Overtime Wage Theft By Heidi Turner (Apr-30-15)
- Portland Truck Plant Subject of Oregon Employment Lawsuits Over Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Apr-24-15)
- California Employment Attorney: “Everyone’s Time Is Valuable” By Heidi Turner (Apr-21-15)
- Strippers Awarded $250,000 For Wages Withheld by Cabaret Owner By The National Trial Lawyers (Apr-21-15)
- Car Repair Advisers Entitled to California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Apr-9-15)
- Viacom Reaches A $7.2 Million Settlement in Unpaid Wages Suit By The National Trial Lawyers (Apr-8-15)
- Overtime Pay Laws Litigation Filed against Sushi Outlets, Bakeries By Gordon Gibb (Mar-28-15)
- Automobile Service Advisers Entitled to Overtime Pay, Court Rules By Lucy Campbell (Mar-27-15)
- More On-Demand Companies Face California Overtime Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Mar-21-15)
- California Labor Law May Slam on the Brakes for Uber and Lyft By Jane Mundy (Mar-16-15)
- Papa John’s Franchisee Hit with $2 Million New York Labor Law Judgment By Gordon Gibb (Mar-13-15)
- Age Discrimination Case Against Zillow Can Proceed By The National Trial Lawyers (Mar-13-15)
- Retaliation Remains the #1 Employment Law Claim By The National Trial Lawyers (Mar-5-15)
- Off-the-Clock Work Allegations Made against Well-Known Establishments By Gordon Gibb (Mar-4-15)
- Caregivers Protest New California Overtime Laws—or Lack Thereof By Jane Mundy (Mar-1-15)
- Major Victory for Truck Drivers in California Overtime Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Feb-19-15)
- California Government Worker Seeks Class-Action Status in Overtime Pay Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-15)
- ERISA Lawsuit to Be Heard by Supreme Court in February By Heidi Turner (Feb-6-15)
- Unpaid Wages Lawsuits Filed against Food Processors By Heidi Turner (Feb-2-15)
- California Overtime Lawsuit Results in Ruling on Sleep Time By Heidi Turner (Jan-30-15)
- NYC Liable for $3 Million for Unsafe Workplace By The National Trial Lawyers (Jan-30-15)
- Professor Denied Tenure Launches Ohio Employment Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Jan-15-15)
- California Overtime: Is There a Grinch in UPS Upper Management? By Jane Mundy (Jan-9-15)
- Massive California Labor Ruling Victory for California Workers By Jane Mundy (Jan-9-15)
- Three Courts Find for Plaintiffs, Wal-Mart May Again Appeal Unpaid Wages Claim By Gordon Gibb (Jan-8-15)
- Report: $1.3 Billion in Top ERISA Class-Action Settlements in 2014 By Heidi Turner (Jan-8-15)
- ICM Settlement with Interns Has California Labor Law Underpinnings By Gordon Gibb (Dec-29-14)
- Ohio Company to Pay More than $2 Million in Back Pay By Heidi Turner (Dec-16-14)
- Contractors, Showgirls Dancing to a Different Tune By Gordon Gibb (Dec-11-14)
- Donning and Doffing Lawsuit Reaches Proposed Settlement By Heidi Turner (Dec-5-14)
- Labor Department Wins $4.7 Million in ERISA Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Dec-5-14)
- California Overtime Lawsuit Filed against Cleaning Company By Heidi Turner (Nov-29-14)