Legal News Articles - Employment
September 26, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Staples Hit with Putative Class Action, Alleging Misclassification ]
Los Angeles, CA Yet another overtime pay laws putative class action was filed earlier this month in California state court accusing Staples Inc. (Staples) of failing to provide overtime pay and required meal and rest periods through improper job classification.
September 21, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Microsoft Accused of Discrimination against Women ]
San Francisco, CA Microsoft has been hit with the latest California labor lawsuit alleging gender-based discrimination. This complaint comes on the heels of several discrimination lawsuits against other tech titans, including Google and Twitter.
September 19, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Proposed Overtime Pay Laws Could Affect Many California Workers ]
Sacramento, CA The US Department of Labor has recommended changes to overtime pay laws, increasing the number of employees who are considered non-exempt from overtime pay. That means the number of employees eligible for overtime pay could increase if the recommendations are accepted. Overtime pay lawsuits have been filed against many employers alleging employees were wrongly denied or misclassified as exempt from overtime pay.
September 16, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Donning and Doffing Lawsuit Nets $9.75 Million Settlement ]
Las Vegas, NV An unpaid overtime lawsuit filed against the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas has resulted in a settlement worth $9.75 million. The lawsuit, filed by Darlene Lewis, alleged workers at the Cosmopolitan were not properly paid for all work mandated by the resort casino, including work that amounted to overtime hours.
September 8, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ California Overtime Pay for Care Workers—About Time ]
Sacramento, CA It’s been a long legal battle. Home Care Workers can’t 100 percent bank on California overtime yet, but a federal court decision has cleared a long and winding path to give home care aides in California and nationwide overtime pay.
September 8, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Uber Lawsuit Gets Class-Action Status ]
San Francisco, CA A California labor lawsuit filed by Uber drivers has been granted class-action status. The California labor lawsuit alleged Uber violated various employment laws by classifying the drivers as independent contractors instead of as employees and cheating the drivers out of tips. In making his ruling, U.S. District Judge Edward M. Chen rejected Uber’s arguments that the drivers were too different to warrant class-action certification.
September 1, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Ohio Employment Lawsuit Accuses Televangelist of Stiffing Employees ]
Cuyahoga Falls, OH Praise the Lord and pass the peas, please. As for the alleged Ohio Employment Law labor violations, well…we’ll give that to God and trust Him to take care of it all.
August 29, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ California Overtime Class Action Launched against Hospice Care Provider ]
Beverly Hills, CA An overtime pay laws class action has been filed in California against a hospice and palliative care enterprise alleging the defendants failed to pay plaintiffs proper overtime pay, or provide rest periods and meal breaks as mandated by the California Labor Code.
August 24, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Uber Faces Another Wrench in California Labor Law ]
Los Angeles, CA Uber has already violated a few California labor laws, most recently misclassification. Last month another wrench was thrown into Uber and potentially other “shared economy” start-ups. The latest lawsuit filed in federal court claims that the Silicon Valley-based company owes its drivers California overtime pay.
August 24, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Florida Lawsuits Allege Improprieties against Burger King, Franchisees ]
Lake County, FL A former worker at a Burger King restaurant in Lake County has taken his former employer to court alleging violations to Florida Employment and other labor statutes under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), alleging his former employer altered time cards in order to avoid paying overtime.
- Employer’s Three Strikes for California Overtime Violations By Jane Mundy (Aug-21-15)
- Former and Current Workers Launch Unpaid Wages Class Action against Hertz Corp. By Gordon Gibb (Aug-19-15)
- $4 Million Award in L.A. for Hispanic Boss Harassing Disabled White Coworker By The National Trial Lawyers (Aug-14-15)
- Judge Grants Class-Action Status to California Labor Lawsuit against Apple By Heidi Turner (Aug-10-15)
- Overtime Lawsuits in the Sharing Economy By Heidi Turner (Aug-8-15)
- California Labor Law Action v. FedEx Certified As Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Aug-1-15)
- Cheerleaders Cheering New California Overtime Pay Law By Gordon Gibb (Jul-30-15)
- Texas Employee Files Lawsuit for Unpaid Wages By Heidi Turner (Jul-26-15)
- FLSA, Wages and Fair Labor Standards Act, The National Retail Federation By Jane Mundy (Jul-24-15)
- Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Donning and Doffing Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-22-15)
- Arkansas Supreme Court Affirms Class-Action Status in Nursing Overtime Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jul-17-15)
- Rent-A-Center and More California Labor Law Violations By Jane Mundy (Jul-14-15)
- Lawmaker: Cheerleaders Should Be Given Overtime Pay By Heidi Turner (Jul-11-15)
- Automatic Clock-Out Spells Potential California Overtime Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Jun-27-15)
- Los Cuidadores a la Espera de Horas Extraordinarias de California By Jane Mundy (Jun-23-15)
- Unpaid Overtime Plaintiff Alleges Misclassification in Class-Action Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jun-21-15)
- Uber Drivers Are Employees California Labor Commissioner’s Office Rules By Lucy Campbell (Jun-18-15)
- Unsealed E-mails to Apple CEO Allege Off-the-Clock Work through Bag Checks By Gordon Gibb (Jun-17-15)
- Walmart Could Owe $100 Million in Back Pay By Heidi Turner (Jun-13-15)
- Nevada Employment Plaintiff Wins Appeal, Lawsuit Can Continue By Gordon Gibb (Jun-12-15)
- Armored Vehicle Drivers and Couriers: Due Diligence Required By Gordon Gibb (Jun-7-15)
- Female Mounties Allege Gender Harassment in Class-Action Hearing By Gordon Gibb (Jun-3-15)
- Indian National Launches Overtime Pay Laws Class Action against Wipro By Gordon Gibb (May-30-15)
- Tyson Donning and Doffing Petition Sent to Supreme Court By Heidi Turner (May-26-15)
- AT&T Faces California Overtime Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (May-21-15)
- Au pairs and Massachusetts Labor Law: Cultural Exchange or Exploitation? By Gordon Gibb (May-7-15)
- Walmart Accused of Overtime Wage Theft By Heidi Turner (Apr-30-15)
- Portland Truck Plant Subject of Oregon Employment Lawsuits Over Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Apr-24-15)
- California Employment Attorney: “Everyone’s Time Is Valuable” By Heidi Turner (Apr-21-15)
- Strippers Awarded $250,000 For Wages Withheld by Cabaret Owner By The National Trial Lawyers (Apr-21-15)
- Car Repair Advisers Entitled to California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Apr-9-15)
- Viacom Reaches A $7.2 Million Settlement in Unpaid Wages Suit By The National Trial Lawyers (Apr-8-15)
- Overtime Pay Laws Litigation Filed against Sushi Outlets, Bakeries By Gordon Gibb (Mar-28-15)
- Automobile Service Advisers Entitled to Overtime Pay, Court Rules By Lucy Campbell (Mar-27-15)
- More On-Demand Companies Face California Overtime Lawsuits By Jane Mundy (Mar-21-15)
- California Labor Law May Slam on the Brakes for Uber and Lyft By Jane Mundy (Mar-16-15)
- Papa John’s Franchisee Hit with $2 Million New York Labor Law Judgment By Gordon Gibb (Mar-13-15)
- Age Discrimination Case Against Zillow Can Proceed By The National Trial Lawyers (Mar-13-15)
- Retaliation Remains the #1 Employment Law Claim By The National Trial Lawyers (Mar-5-15)
- Off-the-Clock Work Allegations Made against Well-Known Establishments By Gordon Gibb (Mar-4-15)