LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONEmployment
Legal News Articles - Employment
January 12, 2017. By Fernando Marcano.
San Francisco, California: En noviembre del 2016 un jurado federal otorgó a los camioneros de Walmart más de $54 millones, decidiendo que Walmart había violado la ley laboral de California al no pagar a sus conductores el salario mínimo. Sin duda los camioneros de todo el país han tomado nota.Read [ La ley laboral de California respalda a los camioneros de Wal-Mart ]
January 9, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Eight-Year-Old California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit can go Forward ]
Los Angeles, CAIt’s been a long haul for California Donning and Doffing lawsuit plaintiff Pamela Silva, who filed her unpaid wages lawsuit against her employer See’s Candy Stores Inc. (See’s Candy) back in 2009. And it’s not over yet, as a three-judge appellate panel ruled that Silva’s claims related to unpaid wages for meal and rest periods could go forward.
January 8, 2017. By Heidi Turner.
San Deigo, CA: A California labor lawsuit that alleged Apple did not properly provide meal and rest breaks and did not pay employees in a timely manner has resulted in a $2 million award to employees. The lawsuit was originally filed in 2011 by employees who worked at Apple retail stores in San Diego and was later changed to a class action lawsuit including California employees who worked at Apple retail stores from 2007 and 2012.Read [ Apple Owes $2 Million for California Labor Lawsuit ]
January 5, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Sacramento, CA: Several new or enhanced California labor laws relating to employment start this month, which should be of particular benefit to domestic workers and anyone making minimum wage. Here are a few key changes…Read [ New and Updated California Labor Laws for 2017 ]
January 2, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
San Francisco, CA: An overtime pay lawsuit in California that seeks class action status was filed just before Christmas by a plaintiff who alleges his employer stiffed him on wages as well as tips.Read [ California Overtime Lawsuits against Employers Big and Small ]
December 29, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Santa Barbara, CA: Under California labor law, akin to generally-recognized statutes in force elsewhere, it remains unlawful to terminate an individual’s employment without just cause. In this California labor lawsuit, total damages exceeding a half million dollars were awarded to the plaintiff, resolving a complaint and accompanying circumstances that bordered on the bizarre.Read [ Older Defendant to Younger Plaintiff: “You’re No Spring Chicken!” ]
December 28, 2016. By Fernando Marcano.
Sacramento, CA: Los empleadores toman nota: No hay ganancia en violar las leyes laborales de California y los derechos de sus trabajadores. Esto también se aplica a los trabajadores filipinos en el extranjero y los trabajadores extranjeros en suelo americano.Read [ La esclavitud moderna no paga ]
December 27, 2016. By Fernando Marcano.
Santa Cruz, CA De acuerdo con la creencia popular, las responsabilidades de un camionero son mucho más complejas que el hecho de sentarse en el asiento del conductor y apretar el pedal del acelerador. Hay responsabilidades de carga, mantener la seguridad operacional continua de la plataforma, y ??los desafíos inherentes a conducir un vehículo sobredimensionado de forma segura en armonía con vehículos más pequeños. Cuando violaciones del código laboral de California son alegadas en contra del patrón de un camionero, la insinuación de maltrato contra estos héroes no reconocidos sirve para amplificar la injusticia.Read [ Compañía de camiones de California golpeada con la ley laboral de California de Acción colectiva ]
December 26, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
New York, NY: The phrase donning and doffing is used to describe situations where employees put on or take off special gear or clothing for their work, but donning and doffing lawsuits are part of a larger area of litigation known as unpaid wages litigation, where employees are not properly paid for all their time involved in work-related activities. Employees may have employers who demand they complete work-related activities before or after their shifts but refuse to pay employees for that time. Unpaid wages litigation is increasing as workers become more aware of their rights, and of what activities employers must pay them for.Read [ Attorney: Unpaid Wages Violations "Pervasive" ]
December 14, 2016. By Fernando Marcano.
Sacramento, CA - A la demanda laboral de California que demandó McDonald's y los hizo responsables de cómo sus franquiciados manejan su paga se le ha dado el visto bueno para proceder como un pleito de acción colectiva. Trabajadores de cinco restaurantes de McDonald's en California presentaron la demanda, alegando que el dueño de la franquicia -que era dueño de los cinco restaurantes- violaba las leyes de salarios y horas, no pagaba horas extras y que tampoco pagaba el salario mínimo.Read [ Trabajadores de los Alimentos de Comida Rápida obtienen estatus de acción colectiva (Class-Action) ]
- Class Action California Labor Lawsuits Seek Compensation By Gordon Gibb (Dec-14-16)
- Court Approves Alorica California Overtime, Wage and Hour Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Dec-12-16)
- A Potpourri of New York Unpaid Wages Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Dec-12-16)
- Zillow Will Pay $6 Million to Settle California Labor Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Dec-8-16)
- California Labor Law Backs Wal-Mart Truckers By Jane Mundy (Dec-5-16)
- Unpaid Work After Shift Ends Can Equate to Unpaid Wages By Gordon Gibb (Dec-1-16)
- Court: Donning and Doffing Not Offset by Paid Break Time By Heidi Turner (Nov-30-16)
- Silicon Valley Software Supplier Hit With Federal Labor Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Nov-28-16)
- California pasa nueva ley de horas extras para los trabajadores del sector agrícola By Fernando Marcano (Nov-23-16)
- California Overtime –Too Much or None at All By Jane Mundy (Nov-18-16)
- Ley Laboral Californiana Expandida para Proteger a los Conserjes By Fernando Marcano (Nov-16-16)
- McDonald’s Settles California Labor Lawsuit For $3.75 Million By Heidi Turner (Nov-15-16)
- California Labor Lawsuit Involving Workers at LAX can Move Forward By Gordon Gibb (Nov-10-16)
- Ley laboral californiana es ignorada a menudo por los empleadores By Fernando Marcano (Nov-9-16)
- California Workplace Discrimination Dinosaurs By Jane Mundy (Nov-6-16)
- Is Donning and Doffing About to Change in Health Care? By Gordon Gibb (Nov-5-16)
- Veterans Made to Repay Bonuses: Does this Jive with California Labor Law? By Gordon Gibb (Oct-26-16)
- Apple Lawsuit Alleging California Labor Violations Gets Underway By Heidi Turner (Oct-25-16)
- Will California Labor Lawsuit Bite Apple Profits? By Jane Mundy (Oct-21-16)
- Airline Moves to Ground Plaintiff’s California Labor Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-9-16)
- California Labor Law Expanded to Protect Janitors By Heidi Turner (Oct-7-16)
- A Showdown Between Plaintiffs and Defendant RE: Federal Arbitration Act By Gordon Gibb (Oct-4-16)
- Wells Fargo Faces California Labor Lawsuit Alleging Failure to Pay Overtime, Wrongful Termination By Heidi Turner (Oct-3-16)
- California Passes Farmworker Overtime Laws By Heidi Turner (Sep-28-16)
- Farmers Insurance Claims Adjusters Reach $4.9 Million Settlement By Heidi Turner (Sep-26-16)
- Donning and Doffing: Does Every Minute Count? By Jane Mundy (Sep-20-16)
- Rules Regarding Donning and Doffing Not Always Clear-Cut By Heidi Turner (Sep-17-16)
- California Labor Law is Often Ignored by Employers By Gordon Gibb (Sep-12-16)
- California Overtime Lawsuit against Nike Certified as a Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Sep-11-16)
- Uber Fallout - A Change in the Law? By Jane Mundy (Sep-5-16)
- California Farm Workers Could Receive Bump in Overtime Pay By Heidi Turner (Aug-31-16)
- California Trucking Company Hit with California Labor Law Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Aug-29-16)
- Hotel in Boston Hit with Unpaid Wages Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-25-16)
- Workplace Sexual Harassment Commonplace in California By Jane Mundy (Aug-19-16)
- Fast Food Workers Granted Class Action Status By Heidi Turner (Aug-15-16)
- California Caregivers - Attorney Discusses Whether You Qualify for Overtime By Jane Mundy (Aug-9-16)
- California Unpaid Overtime Lawsuit Moves to Settle By Gordon Gibb (Aug-6-16)
- McDonald's Overtime Lawsuit Granted Class Action Status By Heidi Turner (Jul-28-16)
- Tyson Foods Requests New Donning and Doffing Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-24-16)
- Proposed California Overtime Class Action Names Hotel Management Company By Gordon Gibb (Jul-18-16)