Legal News Articles - Employment
January 18, 2017. By Fernando Marcano.
Read [ Restaurante pierde $3.2 millones en demandas laborales en California ]
5 de mayo de 2016, 13:45:00. Por Heidi Turner
January 15, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
New York, NY: A New York overtime lawsuit that did not succeed as a class action nonetheless will culminate in a settlement $325,000, making it a happy new year for 18 plaintiffs in the New York employer lawsuit against Citigroup Inc.Read [ IT Workers Settle New York Labor Lawsuit with Citigroup ]
January 14, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: A revealing opinion issued at the end of last year by The California Supreme Court addressed, and clarified a heretofore murky area of California labor law, notably just what constitutes a true rest period, and what doesn’t.Read [ California Supreme Court Weighs In on Intent of Rest Period ]
January 13, 2017. By Heidi Turner.
San Francisco, CA: San Francisco's Municipal Transportation Agency Board of Directors has voted to approve to settle an overtime lawsuit with Muni operators for $8 million. The lawsuit had originally sought almost $400 million and alleged operators were not properly paid for time spent traveling between their clock-in sites and the sites they picked up their buses, or for taking part in inspections following their shifts.Read [ San Francisco Transit Board Okays Overtime Settlement ]
January 12, 2017. By Fernando Marcano.
San Francisco, California: En noviembre del 2016 un jurado federal otorgó a los camioneros de Walmart más de $54 millones, decidiendo que Walmart había violado la ley laboral de California al no pagar a sus conductores el salario mínimo. Sin duda los camioneros de todo el país han tomado nota.Read [ La ley laboral de California respalda a los camioneros de Wal-Mart ]
January 9, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Eight-Year-Old California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit can go Forward ]
Los Angeles, CAIt’s been a long haul for California Donning and Doffing lawsuit plaintiff Pamela Silva, who filed her unpaid wages lawsuit against her employer See’s Candy Stores Inc. (See’s Candy) back in 2009. And it’s not over yet, as a three-judge appellate panel ruled that Silva’s claims related to unpaid wages for meal and rest periods could go forward.
January 8, 2017. By Heidi Turner.
San Deigo, CA: A California labor lawsuit that alleged Apple did not properly provide meal and rest breaks and did not pay employees in a timely manner has resulted in a $2 million award to employees. The lawsuit was originally filed in 2011 by employees who worked at Apple retail stores in San Diego and was later changed to a class action lawsuit including California employees who worked at Apple retail stores from 2007 and 2012.Read [ Apple Owes $2 Million for California Labor Lawsuit ]
January 5, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Sacramento, CA: Several new or enhanced California labor laws relating to employment start this month, which should be of particular benefit to domestic workers and anyone making minimum wage. Here are a few key changes…Read [ New and Updated California Labor Laws for 2017 ]
January 2, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
San Francisco, CA: An overtime pay lawsuit in California that seeks class action status was filed just before Christmas by a plaintiff who alleges his employer stiffed him on wages as well as tips.Read [ California Overtime Lawsuits against Employers Big and Small ]
December 29, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Santa Barbara, CA: Under California labor law, akin to generally-recognized statutes in force elsewhere, it remains unlawful to terminate an individual’s employment without just cause. In this California labor lawsuit, total damages exceeding a half million dollars were awarded to the plaintiff, resolving a complaint and accompanying circumstances that bordered on the bizarre.Read [ Older Defendant to Younger Plaintiff: “You’re No Spring Chicken!” ]
- La esclavitud moderna no paga By Fernando Marcano (Dec-28-16)
- Compañía de camiones de California golpeada con la ley laboral de California de Acción colectiva By Fernando Marcano (Dec-27-16)
- Attorney: Unpaid Wages Violations "Pervasive" By Heidi Turner (Dec-26-16)
- Trabajadores de los Alimentos de Comida Rápida obtienen estatus de acción colectiva (Class-Action) By Fernando Marcano (Dec-14-16)
- Class Action California Labor Lawsuits Seek Compensation By Gordon Gibb (Dec-14-16)
- Court Approves Alorica California Overtime, Wage and Hour Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Dec-12-16)
- A Potpourri of New York Unpaid Wages Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Dec-12-16)
- Zillow Will Pay $6 Million to Settle California Labor Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Dec-8-16)
- California Labor Law Backs Wal-Mart Truckers By Jane Mundy (Dec-5-16)
- Unpaid Work After Shift Ends Can Equate to Unpaid Wages By Gordon Gibb (Dec-1-16)
- Court: Donning and Doffing Not Offset by Paid Break Time By Heidi Turner (Nov-30-16)
- Silicon Valley Software Supplier Hit With Federal Labor Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Nov-28-16)
- California pasa nueva ley de horas extras para los trabajadores del sector agrícola By Fernando Marcano (Nov-23-16)
- California Overtime –Too Much or None at All By Jane Mundy (Nov-18-16)
- Ley Laboral Californiana Expandida para Proteger a los Conserjes By Fernando Marcano (Nov-16-16)
- McDonald’s Settles California Labor Lawsuit For $3.75 Million By Heidi Turner (Nov-15-16)
- California Labor Lawsuit Involving Workers at LAX can Move Forward By Gordon Gibb (Nov-10-16)
- Ley laboral californiana es ignorada a menudo por los empleadores By Fernando Marcano (Nov-9-16)
- California Workplace Discrimination Dinosaurs By Jane Mundy (Nov-6-16)
- Is Donning and Doffing About to Change in Health Care? By Gordon Gibb (Nov-5-16)
- Veterans Made to Repay Bonuses: Does this Jive with California Labor Law? By Gordon Gibb (Oct-26-16)
- Apple Lawsuit Alleging California Labor Violations Gets Underway By Heidi Turner (Oct-25-16)
- Will California Labor Lawsuit Bite Apple Profits? By Jane Mundy (Oct-21-16)
- Airline Moves to Ground Plaintiff’s California Labor Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-9-16)
- California Labor Law Expanded to Protect Janitors By Heidi Turner (Oct-7-16)
- A Showdown Between Plaintiffs and Defendant RE: Federal Arbitration Act By Gordon Gibb (Oct-4-16)
- Wells Fargo Faces California Labor Lawsuit Alleging Failure to Pay Overtime, Wrongful Termination By Heidi Turner (Oct-3-16)
- California Passes Farmworker Overtime Laws By Heidi Turner (Sep-28-16)
- Farmers Insurance Claims Adjusters Reach $4.9 Million Settlement By Heidi Turner (Sep-26-16)
- Donning and Doffing: Does Every Minute Count? By Jane Mundy (Sep-20-16)
- Rules Regarding Donning and Doffing Not Always Clear-Cut By Heidi Turner (Sep-17-16)
- California Labor Law is Often Ignored by Employers By Gordon Gibb (Sep-12-16)
- California Overtime Lawsuit against Nike Certified as a Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Sep-11-16)
- Uber Fallout - A Change in the Law? By Jane Mundy (Sep-5-16)
- California Farm Workers Could Receive Bump in Overtime Pay By Heidi Turner (Aug-31-16)
- California Trucking Company Hit with California Labor Law Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Aug-29-16)
- Hotel in Boston Hit with Unpaid Wages Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-25-16)
- Workplace Sexual Harassment Commonplace in California By Jane Mundy (Aug-19-16)
- Fast Food Workers Granted Class Action Status By Heidi Turner (Aug-15-16)
- California Caregivers - Attorney Discusses Whether You Qualify for Overtime By Jane Mundy (Aug-9-16)