Legal News Articles - Employment
May 27, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: Unum Group, which calls Chattanooga home, may hold a place amongst the Top 500 employers in the US as ranked by Forbes. However, such lofty plaudits have not stopped a Unum lawsuit from a woman who claimed Unum insurance stopped her benefits without just cause.Read [ An Award-Winning Employee Culture at Unum Can’t Stop Lawsuits ]
May 26, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Oakland, CA Legal team representing a 44-year-old African American man who claims he was harassed and discriminated against while working as an assembly line worker at the Tesla car factory in Fremont, California is adding a charge of retaliation to the already long list of claims of violations of the California state labor laws.Read [ Retaliation to be added to Tesla Inc. Workplace Racial Discrimination Suit ]
May 24, 2017. By Fernando Marcano (Translation).
Santa Bárbara, CA: Una bailarina exótica que afirma no haber recibido ingresos de ningún tipo por parte de los propietarios del club de caballeros para el que trabajó brevemente, ha presentado una acción colectiva putativa en un tribunal de California que alega violaciones de las leyes estatales de pago de horas extras y similares violaciones contra la Ley Federal de Normas Laborales Justas (FLSA).Read [ Ex Bailarina exótica comienza una demanda de horas extras en California ]
May 23, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Detroit, MI: A showdown is brewing between retirees of Honeywell International Inc. and the company for whom they once worked, over health care benefits Honeywell is threatening to take way. The former unionized workers counter that ongoing healthcare benefits were part of their promised retirement packages and they are litigating their Michigan employment claim in Michigan court in an effort to save them.Read [ Showdown between Honeywell Inc. and Retirees Brewing in Michigan ]
May 22, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
San Francisco, CA: An overtime pay lawsuit filed a year ago March in a California federal court has been paused by a federal magistrate to allow for a ruling by the US Supreme Court. The ruling, on a separate case, could set precedence and determine whether, or not employees of SolarCity Corp. would be forced into arbitration to settle their claims.Read [ California Overtime Lawsuit Paused Pending Ruling by US Supreme Court ]
May 14, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: Carol knows that her employer has violated California labor laws by not paying meal breaks and travel time, and as a consequence she was paid less than minimum wage some days. And she isn’t afraid of telling her boss that retaliation is also a labor code violation.Read [ House Cleaner knows her Rights under California Labor Law ]
May 11, 2017. By Fernando Marcano (Translation).
Oakland, CA: La acción de clase sobre la ley laboral de California que involucra a jugadores de ligas menores con la Liga Mayor de Béisbol (MLB), pero alojada en el estado de California sigue en juego con una apelación lanzada por MLB desafiando un fallo reciente de un juez de California otorgando aprobación preliminar a la clase.Read [ Béisbol de las Grandes Ligas vuelve a la Corte de California ]
May 7, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
San Francisco: CA A federal judge has approved a settlement for $500,000 on a California overtime class action filed by housekeeping employees of Kaiser Foundation Hospitals and hospital services company Xanitos.Read [ Kaiser and Xanitos Settle Hospital Housekeepers' Overtime Class action for $500,000 ]
May 6, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Denver, CO: Many state legislatures in the US spent the first quarter considering reform proposals that increased coverage for first responders who suffer mental stress injuries, according to Business Insurance.Read [ State Legislatures on Track to Reform Workers' Compensation for First Responders ]
May 4, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
San Diego, CA: A proposed California labor law class action will have to wait a little while yet before the rubber stamp comes down to mark ‘settled’ following yet another refusal by a US District Court judge in California to approve a proposed settlement due to inconsistencies between governance in the claims, and the language contained therein.Read [ $2 Million California Labor Lawsuit Settlement with Costco Nearing Preliminary Approval ]
- McDonald's Employee Overtime Trial Scheduled for May By Deb Hipp (May-1-17)
- Hilton Hotel Accused of Swiping Staff Tips By Brenda Craig (Apr-30-17)
- Demanda de acción de clase por parte de jugadores de béisbol de las ligas menores está de vuelta en el juego By Fernando Marcano (Apr-26-17)
- Key Energy Agrees to Settle California Workers Class Action for $3 Million By Deb Hipp (Apr-23-17)
- Misclassified Plaintiffs in Massachusetts Eyeing $2.9 Million Proposed Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Apr-21-17)
- Camioneros mal clasificados en California – Reclaman violaciones de la ley laboral By Fernando Marcano (Apr-20-17)
- Plaintiffs Cite California Labor Law, FLSA in Lawsuit against Bloomberg By Gordon Gibb (Apr-13-17)
- Empleadas domésticas de hotel entablan demanda por negárseles tiempo extra By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Apr-12-17)
- Violations of California Labor Law and Possibly Animal Rights By Jane Mundy (Apr-12-17)
- Did Some California Employers Miss the Overtime Memo? By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-17)
- Nine-Year California Labor Lawsuit Will be Appealed By Gordon Gibb (Apr-5-17)
- Retired Frontline Workers Can Make Worker Compensation Claims By Brenda Craig (Mar-28-17)
- Former Exotic Dancer Launches California Overtime Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-27-17)
- Demanda laboral en California referente a los trabajadores de LAX puede continuar By Fernando Marcano (Mar-24-17)
- Major League Baseball Fights Back in California Courtroom By Gordon Gibb (Mar-23-17)
- Yoga Enterprise Headquartered in Colorado Facing Lawsuit, Tentative Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Mar-22-17)
- Maryland Employment Lawsuits Revived on Appeal By Gordon Gibb (Mar-17-17)
- California Truckers Misclassified—Claiming Labor Law Violations By Jane Mundy (Mar-15-17)
- Vestigios de discriminación en los lugares de trabajo californianos By Fernando Marcano (Mar-15-17)
- Minor League Baseball Players' Overtime Class Action Back in Play By Deb Hipp (Mar-11-17)
- La Corte Suprema de California sopesa sobre la intención del período de descanso By Fernando Marcano (Mar-8-17)
- Wells Fargo Urges Judge to Refuse to Certify Hundreds of Employees in Class Action By Deb Hipp (Mar-6-17)
- Hotel Housekeepers Denied California Overtime File Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Mar-6-17)
- Contractor to US Government Cited for Equal Pay Violations, Settles for $1.2 Million By Gordon Gibb (Feb-25-17)
- California Labor Lawsuit Settles for $1.8 Million By Gordon Gibb (Feb-23-17)
- El panel de tránsito de San Francisco acepta la resolución de tiempo extra By Fernando Marcano (Feb-22-17)
- CKE Restaurant Workers: California Overtime Violations still Worrisome By Jane Mundy (Feb-22-17)
- Oracle Claw-Back Violation of California Labor Laws By Jane Mundy (Feb-16-17)
- Leyes laborales nuevas y actualizadas para el 2017 By Fernando Marcano (Feb-12-17)
- Ohio Employment Lawsuit Seeks Class Action Status By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-17)
- How Will New EEOC Regulations in 2018 Affect Donning and Doffing? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-17)
- Demandas por horas extras en California contra empleadores grandes y pequeños By Fernando Marcano (Feb-8-17)
- Counsel for US Airways Asks Judge to Reject Overtime Claims by Certified Class By Deb Hipp (Feb-6-17)
- New Balance Hit with California Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Feb-6-17)
- A Victory for Pennsylvania Donning & Doffing Lawsuit Plaintiffs By Gordon Gibb (Feb-4-17)
- Penske Admits No Wrongdoing in California Labor Code Class Action Settlement By Deb Hipp (Feb-2-17)
- Nine-Year California Labor Code Class Action is Settled By Gordon Gibb (Jan-30-17)
- After a Decade of Litigation, FedEx Drivers Settle for $15.45 Million By Gordon Gibb (Jan-26-17)
- McDonald's resuelve la demanda laboral de California por $3.75 millones By Fernando Marcano (Jan-25-17)
- California Overtime: Changes with New Presidency? By Jane Mundy (Jan-24-17)