Legal News Articles - Employment
August 6, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Los Angeles, CA: Surprisingly, the answer is yes, sometimes. This became clear in Peabody v Time Warner Cable, Inc. California overtime article , a 2014 California overtime lawsuit. The rule applies in somewhat limited circumstances, but even so, some are puzzled at how infrequently it is employed.Read [ Can a Commissioned Salesperson Sue for Unpaid Overtime in California? ]
July 29, 2017. By Fernando Marcano (Translation).
Los Angeles, CA: La demanda laboral en California en la que el gigante de comida rápida McDonald's está envuelta no es nada rápida, habiendo sido litigada desde 2013 y sin mostrar señales de un arreglo rápido. Sin embargo, un juicio en tribunales que se llevó a cabo a fines del mes pasado para resolver varios asuntos legales antes de lo que se espera será un juicio por jurado en el futuro, está tratando de resolver si el gigante corporativo con unas 100 localidades en el estado de California violó la ley laboral de California.Read [ Cambio de turno y protocolo de pago de McDonald's bajo lupa legal en un tribunal ]
July 29, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
San Francisco, CA: The big green and white Canteen Vending trucks are a frequent sight across the US and many other states. In California, the company has a huge number of delivery drivers working out of as many as 20 different distribution locations across the state.Read [ Giant Catering Company in California Labor Dispute ]
July 26, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
San Francisco, CA: An overtime pay laws class action lawsuit in California has concluded with a jury award worth more than $2 million in total damages to be divided up between 11 workers. That translates to individual awards of anywhere between $150,000 and $200,000 per class member according to various criteria.Read [ Eleven Misclassified Workers to Share $2 Million, More Awards Coming ]
Acuerdo con Costco de $2 Millones por accidente laboral en California ya cuenta con aprobación preliminar
July 20, 2017. By Fernando Marcano (Translation).
San Diego, CA. Una propuesta acción de clase basada en la ley del trabajo de California tendrá que esperar un poco antes de que el asunto se pueda marcar como 'resuelto' después de otra negativa por un juez de la Corte de Distrito de California para aprobar un acuerdo propuesto debido a inconsistencias entre la gobernanza en las reclamaciones, y el lenguaje que contiene.Read [ Acuerdo con Costco de $2 Millones por accidente laboral en California ya cuenta con aprobación preliminar ]
Attorney discusses the California Employment Lawsuit and Settlement in Augustus v ABM Security Services
July 19, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Oakland, CA: Thousands of security guards are extremely pleased with the outcome of their lawsuit regarding rest breaks, which dragged through the court system for years. “After 12 years, we just received final court approval of our $110 million settlement,” says attorney Scott Cole, adding that he is co-counsel with Drew Pomerance's office on the California labor lawsuit.Read [ Attorney discusses the California Employment Lawsuit and Settlement in Augustus v ABM Security Services ]
July 19, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Santa Clara, CA: Sears Holding is facing an Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) class action lawsuit filed by employees who allege the company used its own stock as an investment option in the 401(k) plan, despite knowledge that the company was in in “extremely poor financial condition.”Read [ Sears Facing 401K Class Action Lawsuit ]
Overtime Settlements and Lawsuits, from Pennsylvania Health Care Therapists to California Caregivers
July 15, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
San Francisco, CA: Despite federal and state laws in place to ensure that heath care workers—from behavioral health professionals in Pennsylvania to in-home caregivers in California—are getting overtime compensation they are entitled to, employers are still misclassifying employees to avoid paying overtime. And despite a recent settlement in favor of the employees, it almost seems like employers such as Progressions Behavioral Health Services Inc. haven’t read the memo…Read [ Overtime Settlements and Lawsuits, from Pennsylvania Health Care Therapists to California Caregivers ]
July 13, 2017. By Fernando Marcano (Translation).
Read [ Juicio de horas extras de McDonald's programado para mayo ]
Los Angeles, CA. McDonald's Restaurants se dirigirá a juicio en mayo para defenderse de las acusaciones de violaciones de horas extras en California en una demanda presentada por una clase de miles de trabajadores de los turnos de noche.
July 13, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: A California labor lawsuit filed against Nike and other defendants alleging the retail chain violated California labor law over an alleged requirement by staff to purchase their own uniforms, will remain in federal court after a federal judge in US Court denied a motion to have the lawsuit returned to state court.Read [ Proposed California Labor Law Class Action v. Nike to Remain in Federal Court ]
- Amazon California Labor Lawsuit: Plaintiff’s Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-9-17)
- Former Amazon Manager Sues For Overtime Wages By Deb Hipp (Jul-4-17)
- Employers Can’t Eat in to Workers’ Lunch Period says Lawsuit By Brenda Craig (Jul-2-17)
- California Labor Law Protects Workers, from Pole Dancers to Pot Growers to Babysitters By Jane Mundy (Jun-30-17)
- Truck Driver’s New Jersey Workers Compensation Lawsuit Revived on Appeal By Gordon Gibb (Jun-25-17)
- California Woman Sues Trump-Impersonating Boss For Race Discrimination By Deb Hipp (Jun-23-17)
- Costco Settles California Overtime Lawsuit for $9 Million By Gordon Gibb (Jun-22-17)
- Wisconsin Plaintiff’s Lawsuit Revived on Appeal By Gordon Gibb (Jun-21-17)
- Fast Food Workers Deserve California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Jun-12-17)
- McDonald’s Overnight Shift and Pay Protocol Tested in Court By Gordon Gibb (Jun-5-17)
- Chinese Caregivers at Alleged Birth Tourism Center Sue For Unpaid Overtime By Deb Hipp (Jun-1-17)
- Hotel Hilton acusado de apropiarse de las propinas de su personal By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (May-31-17)
- Jury Awards $3 Million Verdict to California State Worker Who Claims Bosses Ignored His Allergies By Deb Hipp (May-30-17)
- Long Island Signalman Awarded Damages for Injury Exacerbation By Gordon Gibb (May-29-17)
- California Unpaid Overtime, from Caregivers for the Elderly to Caretakers for the Unborn By Jane Mundy (May-28-17)
- An Award-Winning Employee Culture at Unum Can’t Stop Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (May-27-17)
- Retaliation to be added to Tesla Inc. Workplace Racial Discrimination Suit By Brenda Craig (May-26-17)
- Ex Bailarina exótica comienza una demanda de horas extras en California By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (May-24-17)
- Showdown between Honeywell Inc. and Retirees Brewing in Michigan By Gordon Gibb (May-23-17)
- California Overtime Lawsuit Paused Pending Ruling by US Supreme Court By Gordon Gibb (May-22-17)
- House Cleaner knows her Rights under California Labor Law By Jane Mundy (May-14-17)
- Béisbol de las Grandes Ligas vuelve a la Corte de California By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (May-11-17)
- Kaiser and Xanitos Settle Hospital Housekeepers' Overtime Class action for $500,000 By Deb Hipp (May-7-17)
- State Legislatures on Track to Reform Workers' Compensation for First Responders By Deb Hipp (May-6-17)
- $2 Million California Labor Lawsuit Settlement with Costco Nearing Preliminary Approval By Gordon Gibb (May-4-17)
- McDonald's Employee Overtime Trial Scheduled for May By Deb Hipp (May-1-17)
- Hilton Hotel Accused of Swiping Staff Tips By Brenda Craig (Apr-30-17)
- Demanda de acción de clase por parte de jugadores de béisbol de las ligas menores está de vuelta en el juego By Fernando Marcano (Apr-26-17)
- Key Energy Agrees to Settle California Workers Class Action for $3 Million By Deb Hipp (Apr-23-17)
- Misclassified Plaintiffs in Massachusetts Eyeing $2.9 Million Proposed Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Apr-21-17)
- Camioneros mal clasificados en California – Reclaman violaciones de la ley laboral By Fernando Marcano (Apr-20-17)
- Plaintiffs Cite California Labor Law, FLSA in Lawsuit against Bloomberg By Gordon Gibb (Apr-13-17)
- Empleadas domésticas de hotel entablan demanda por negárseles tiempo extra By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Apr-12-17)
- Violations of California Labor Law and Possibly Animal Rights By Jane Mundy (Apr-12-17)
- Did Some California Employers Miss the Overtime Memo? By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-17)
- Nine-Year California Labor Lawsuit Will be Appealed By Gordon Gibb (Apr-5-17)
- Retired Frontline Workers Can Make Worker Compensation Claims By Brenda Craig (Mar-28-17)
- Former Exotic Dancer Launches California Overtime Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-27-17)
- Demanda laboral en California referente a los trabajadores de LAX puede continuar By Fernando Marcano (Mar-24-17)
- Major League Baseball Fights Back in California Courtroom By Gordon Gibb (Mar-23-17)