Legal News Articles - Employment
February 26, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: A California unpaid wages lawsuit filed last fall is still pending, while a ruling by a US District Court Judge in a separate case over whether, or not a driver with GrubHub is an employee, or an independent contractor may be deemed moot by a pending decision by the California high court.Read [ Status as Employee v. Independent Contractor Impacts Wage and Hour Claims ]
February 22, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Los Angeles, CA: Actually, Jennie Lam's California labor lawsuit calls out the owners of the Los Angeles Beverly Hills Four Seasons Hotel for race discrimination, harassment, whistleblower retaliation, age discrimination, wrongful termination and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Beverly Cohen, one of the owners, seems to have been particularly given to racist comments. But requiring an employee to work without rest or meal breaks in a 100-degree heated greenhouse or to use dangerous tools without training is also pretty bad.Read [ Worker Claims Employment Discrimination Based on her Asian Heritage ]
February 16, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: A California labor lawsuit alleging wrongful dismissal and defamation was quietly settled earlier this week at the 11th hour after a jury had awarded damages to the plaintiff, but had yet to settle on punitive damages. While having awarded punitive damages in the case on Tuesday February 13, 2018, the jury recessed for the day with plans to deliberate the amount of punitive damages once reconvened. Late in the night on February 13, the two parties reached a confidential settlement, ending the dispute.Read [ Plaintiff Settles with Bank of America Corp. NA at the Eleventh Hour ]
February 15, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Denver, CO: An ERISA lawsuit that had its beginnings in 2016 has been granted class action status in a certification that could benefit tens of thousands of class members. At issue are allegations that fiduciaries acting on behalf of defendant Oracle Corp. failed to uphold their fiduciary duties by investing in funds and other investments that failed to maintain the best interests of 401(k) Plan members and other investors, at heart.Read [ Plaintiffs Litigating ERISA Lawsuit v. Oracle Corp. Achieve Class Action Status ]
February 6, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: Over the last few years, a great percentage of California labor lawsuits have focused on meal and rest breaks. For instance, overtime lawsuits have added causes of action for meal and rest break penalties.Read [ Late for Lunch Spells California Labor Lawsuits and a Shifting Work Environment ]
January 24, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Richmond, VA Kimberly Stoddard had been receiving long term disability payments under her Unum disability insurance policy for more than ten years, so it was a shock when the plan reconsidered and stopped paying her.Read [ How to Think Like a Plaintiff in a Unum Lawsuit ]
January 23, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Denver, CO: An ERISA lawsuit was filed at the end of November in Colorado alleging mismanagement of a stock fund that resulted in losses for the defined contribution plan participants.Read [ Plaintiffs in Class Action ERISA Lawsuit Allege Breach of Fiduciary Duties ]
January 19, 2018. By Fernando Marcano (Translation).
Los Ángeles, CA:Una demanda laboral de California presentada por un conductor de Uber alega que el modelo de fijación de precios de Uber impide que los conductores obtengan salarios adecuados como lo exige la legislación laboral de California. Por su parte, el coacusado Uber Technologies Inc. no está de acuerdo con las alegaciones del demandante Sophano Van y está tratando de que se desestime la demanda.Read [ Uber enfrenta demanda colectiva en California ]
January 16, 2018. By Lucy Campbell.
Seattle, WA: Amazon and Jungle Trux, based in King County, WA, have started the new year facing an unpaid overtime and employment class action lawsuit. The lawsuit was filed by two package delivery drivers who allege Jungle Trux and Amazon failed to pay them overtime, undercounted their hours, and failed to provide them with required breaks.Read [ Jungle Trux Drivers the Latest to Challenge Unpaid Meal and Rest Breaks ]
January 16, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Palm Valley, CA: A California unpaid wages lawsuit has been launched against a landscaper responsible for maintaining the grounds at Palm Valley Country Club in Palm Desert. The allegations include wage infractions, off-the-clock work and improper wage statements.Read [ Landscaper Employee Files Proposed California Unpaid Wages Class Action ]
- Road Outrage: California Truckers Denied Fair Wages and Benefits By Jane Mundy (Jan-10-18)
- Demanda colectiva contra Tesla por discriminación racial By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Jan-8-18)
- Pregnant Worker Wins California Wrongful Termination Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jan-6-18)
- Lots of Changes and Updates to California Labor Law with the New Year By Gordon Gibb (Jan-2-18)
- Conductor de Turno demanda a Starbucks por Robo de Salario By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Dec-21-17)
- ¿Los Franquiciadores como McDonald's son responsables del robo de salarios? By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Dec-11-17)
- Uber Hit with Proposed Class Action in California By Gordon Gibb (Dec-7-17)
- Can a Cabbie Collect Overtime? By Anne Wallace (Dec-4-17)
- How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-17)
- ¿Con qué tanta frecuencia los trabajadores en California deben tener días de descanso? By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Nov-29-17)
- Tesla Hit with Racial Discrimination Class Action Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Nov-29-17)
- Empleados de un Resort Vacacional de Lujo en California lanzan una demanda By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Nov-21-17)
- California Startup Has Faced Three Class Action Lawsuits in its Young History By Gordon Gibb (Nov-20-17)
- Pacific Western Bank Shorted Workers OT Pay Lawsuit Alleges By Brenda Craig (Nov-16-17)
- Employees of Luxury California Resort Launch California Labor Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Nov-13-17)
- Phoenix Warehouse of California Hit with Overtime Pay Class Action Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Nov-6-17)
- California Unpaid Overtime Class Action Down, but Not Out By Gordon Gibb (Oct-29-17)
- Are Franchisors like McDonalds Accountable for Wage Theft? By Anne Wallace (Oct-24-17)
- California Workers Get Protection from Employer Retaliation By Brenda Craig (Oct-11-17)
- Nurses Seek Class Action in Overtime Pay Lawsuit against CareMeridian By Anne Wallace (Oct-5-17)
- California Class Action Labor Lawsuit Filed Against Marriott Subsidiary By Gordon Gibb (Oct-1-17)
- Safeway Inc. Faces Series of California Labor Code Trials By Brenda Craig (Sep-29-17)
- California Seeks $6.3 Million for Overtime Pay Law Violations By Anne Wallace (Sep-28-17)
- Facebook Slapped with Disability and Age Discrimination Lawsuit with Whistleblower Allegation By Brenda Craig (Sep-27-17)
- Google Accused of Violating California Equal Pay Act By Jane Mundy (Sep-22-17)
- $2.5 Million California Overtime Settlement Granted Preliminary Approval By Gordon Gibb (Sep-16-17)
- Former Oracle Sales Rep Pursues Class Arbitration By Gordon Gibb (Sep-12-17)
- Plaintiff in Overtime Pay Dispute with Nike Sticks to Her Guns By Gordon Gibb (Sep-11-17)
- On-Call Driver Sues Starbucks for Wage Theft By Anne Wallace (Sep-6-17)
- Los trabajadores de la comida rápida en California merecen horas extra By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Sep-1-17)
- Acuerdos y demandas de tiempo extra, desde los terapeutas de salud de Pennsylvania a los cuidadores de California By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Aug-31-17)
- Bag Search Plaintiffs Get Another Bite at Apple By Anne Wallace (Aug-30-17)
- Lawsuit Alleges Resort Chain Can’t Ask Potential Employees to Wave Liability on Background Checks By Brenda Craig (Aug-26-17)
- Farmworkers Another Step Toward California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Aug-25-17)
- Qualified Attorney Important for Florida Workers’ Compensation Claims By Gordon Gibb (Aug-25-17)
- Abogado discute la demanda y el acuerdo de empleo de California en Augustus vs ABM Security Services By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Aug-19-17)
- How Often Must California Workers Get a Day Off? By Anne Wallace (Aug-17-17)
- California Overtime Lawsuit Settles in Record Time for $5.95 Million By Gordon Gibb (Aug-11-17)
- California Employment Labor Law Class Action Gets Nod for $1.35 Million Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Aug-10-17)
- $6.5 Million Settlement for Déjà Vu Dancers Approved, But Delayed on Appeal By Gordon Gibb (Aug-8-17)