Legal News Articles - Employment
August 25, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Tallahassee, FL: It comes as no surprise that any Florida worker requiring Workers’ Compensation for a job-related injury only to experience the headache and heartbreak of a Florida denied workers compensation claim, resorts to a Florida workers comp lawsuit. In fact, legal experts note that Florida is such an employer-friendly State; a good lawyer is almost a prerequisite to a successful workers’ compensation claim given that the odds are stacked against the employee.Read [ Qualified Attorney Important for Florida Workers’ Compensation Claims ]
Abogado discute la demanda y el acuerdo de empleo de California en Augustus vs ABM Security Services
August 19, 2017. By Fernando Marcano (Translation).
Oakland, CA: Miles de guardias de seguridad están extremadamente complacidos con el resultado de su demanda en relación con los descansos, que se mantuvo en el sistema judicial durante años. "Después de 12 años, acabamos de recibir la aprobación final del tribunal de nuestro acuerdo por $110 millones", dice el abogado Scott Cole, agregando que es co-abogado con la oficina de Drew Pomerance en la demanda laboral de California.Read [ Abogado discute la demanda y el acuerdo de empleo de California en Augustus vs ABM Security Services ]
August 17, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Los Angeles, CA: California labor law protects workers’ right to a day of rest. The basic rule, as set out in in several interlocking sections of the California labor code, is one day a week.Read [ How Often Must California Workers Get a Day Off? ]
August 11, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
San Francisco, CA: A California overtime pay class action lawsuit will settle for $5.95 million following the granting of final approval by a California federal judge earlier this week. The settlement brings to a close a lawsuit brought by a class of service managers against Ecolab Inc., alleging violations against California overtime law.Read [ California Overtime Lawsuit Settles in Record Time for $5.95 Million ]
August 10, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
San Francisco, CA: A California employee labor law class action is one step closer to resolution after a San Francisco judge signaled he would grant final approval of a settlement worth $1.35 million. The lawsuit, which has been ongoing for about 18 months, pits a beer distributor from the Bay Area against a class of hourly employees who claimed violations against state labor laws.Read [ California Employment Labor Law Class Action Gets Nod for $1.35 Million Settlement ]
August 8, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Detroit, MI: A settlement deal worth $6.5 million that was given preliminary approval in February of this year was granted final approval in June, ending about a decade of legal wrangling involving a gentlemen’s club franchise and the dancers who toiled within. The Déjà Vu lawsuit combined a somewhat unique sector with an old problem: whether or not dancers, in this case, are indeed employees or independent contractors.Read [ $6.5 Million Settlement for Déjà Vu Dancers Approved, But Delayed on Appeal ]
August 6, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Los Angeles, CA: Surprisingly, the answer is yes, sometimes. This became clear in Peabody v Time Warner Cable, Inc. California overtime article , a 2014 California overtime lawsuit. The rule applies in somewhat limited circumstances, but even so, some are puzzled at how infrequently it is employed.Read [ Can a Commissioned Salesperson Sue for Unpaid Overtime in California? ]
July 29, 2017. By Fernando Marcano (Translation).
Los Angeles, CA: La demanda laboral en California en la que el gigante de comida rápida McDonald's está envuelta no es nada rápida, habiendo sido litigada desde 2013 y sin mostrar señales de un arreglo rápido. Sin embargo, un juicio en tribunales que se llevó a cabo a fines del mes pasado para resolver varios asuntos legales antes de lo que se espera será un juicio por jurado en el futuro, está tratando de resolver si el gigante corporativo con unas 100 localidades en el estado de California violó la ley laboral de California.Read [ Cambio de turno y protocolo de pago de McDonald's bajo lupa legal en un tribunal ]
July 29, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
San Francisco, CA: The big green and white Canteen Vending trucks are a frequent sight across the US and many other states. In California, the company has a huge number of delivery drivers working out of as many as 20 different distribution locations across the state.Read [ Giant Catering Company in California Labor Dispute ]
July 26, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
San Francisco, CA: An overtime pay laws class action lawsuit in California has concluded with a jury award worth more than $2 million in total damages to be divided up between 11 workers. That translates to individual awards of anywhere between $150,000 and $200,000 per class member according to various criteria.Read [ Eleven Misclassified Workers to Share $2 Million, More Awards Coming ]
- Acuerdo con Costco de $2 Millones por accidente laboral en California ya cuenta con aprobación preliminar By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Jul-20-17)
- Attorney discusses the California Employment Lawsuit and Settlement in Augustus v ABM Security Services By Jane Mundy (Jul-19-17)
- Sears Facing 401K Class Action Lawsuit By Lucy Campbell (Jul-19-17)
- Overtime Settlements and Lawsuits, from Pennsylvania Health Care Therapists to California Caregivers By Jane Mundy (Jul-15-17)
- Juicio de horas extras de McDonald's programado para mayo By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Jul-13-17)
- Proposed California Labor Law Class Action v. Nike to Remain in Federal Court By Gordon Gibb (Jul-13-17)
- Amazon California Labor Lawsuit: Plaintiff’s Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-9-17)
- Former Amazon Manager Sues For Overtime Wages By Deb Hipp (Jul-4-17)
- Employers Can’t Eat in to Workers’ Lunch Period says Lawsuit By Brenda Craig (Jul-2-17)
- California Labor Law Protects Workers, from Pole Dancers to Pot Growers to Babysitters By Jane Mundy (Jun-30-17)
- Truck Driver’s New Jersey Workers Compensation Lawsuit Revived on Appeal By Gordon Gibb (Jun-25-17)
- California Woman Sues Trump-Impersonating Boss For Race Discrimination By Deb Hipp (Jun-23-17)
- Costco Settles California Overtime Lawsuit for $9 Million By Gordon Gibb (Jun-22-17)
- Wisconsin Plaintiff’s Lawsuit Revived on Appeal By Gordon Gibb (Jun-21-17)
- Fast Food Workers Deserve California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Jun-12-17)
- McDonald’s Overnight Shift and Pay Protocol Tested in Court By Gordon Gibb (Jun-5-17)
- Chinese Caregivers at Alleged Birth Tourism Center Sue For Unpaid Overtime By Deb Hipp (Jun-1-17)
- Hotel Hilton acusado de apropiarse de las propinas de su personal By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (May-31-17)
- Jury Awards $3 Million Verdict to California State Worker Who Claims Bosses Ignored His Allergies By Deb Hipp (May-30-17)
- Long Island Signalman Awarded Damages for Injury Exacerbation By Gordon Gibb (May-29-17)
- California Unpaid Overtime, from Caregivers for the Elderly to Caretakers for the Unborn By Jane Mundy (May-28-17)
- An Award-Winning Employee Culture at Unum Can’t Stop Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (May-27-17)
- Retaliation to be added to Tesla Inc. Workplace Racial Discrimination Suit By Brenda Craig (May-26-17)
- Ex Bailarina exótica comienza una demanda de horas extras en California By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (May-24-17)
- Showdown between Honeywell Inc. and Retirees Brewing in Michigan By Gordon Gibb (May-23-17)
- California Overtime Lawsuit Paused Pending Ruling by US Supreme Court By Gordon Gibb (May-22-17)
- House Cleaner knows her Rights under California Labor Law By Jane Mundy (May-14-17)
- Béisbol de las Grandes Ligas vuelve a la Corte de California By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (May-11-17)
- Kaiser and Xanitos Settle Hospital Housekeepers' Overtime Class action for $500,000 By Deb Hipp (May-7-17)
- State Legislatures on Track to Reform Workers' Compensation for First Responders By Deb Hipp (May-6-17)
- $2 Million California Labor Lawsuit Settlement with Costco Nearing Preliminary Approval By Gordon Gibb (May-4-17)
- McDonald's Employee Overtime Trial Scheduled for May By Deb Hipp (May-1-17)
- Hilton Hotel Accused of Swiping Staff Tips By Brenda Craig (Apr-30-17)
- Demanda de acción de clase por parte de jugadores de béisbol de las ligas menores está de vuelta en el juego By Fernando Marcano (Apr-26-17)
- Key Energy Agrees to Settle California Workers Class Action for $3 Million By Deb Hipp (Apr-23-17)
- Misclassified Plaintiffs in Massachusetts Eyeing $2.9 Million Proposed Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Apr-21-17)
- Camioneros mal clasificados en California – Reclaman violaciones de la ley laboral By Fernando Marcano (Apr-20-17)
- Plaintiffs Cite California Labor Law, FLSA in Lawsuit against Bloomberg By Gordon Gibb (Apr-13-17)
- Empleadas domésticas de hotel entablan demanda por negárseles tiempo extra By Fernando Marcano (Translation) (Apr-12-17)
- Violations of California Labor Law and Possibly Animal Rights By Jane Mundy (Apr-12-17)