LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONEmployment
Legal News Articles - Employment
January 16, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ 2012 to See Changes to ERISA Plan Laws ]
Chicago, IL Thanks to regulatory changes, 2012 will see some important changes to ERISA plan laws. Those changes will hopefully help ERISA pension plan participants and participants in company-sponsored employee savings plans better understand how those plans are managed. Changes to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) may not only help employees understand their rights but may also help clarify regulations when employees file an ERISA lawsuit.
January 16, 2012. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Car Wash Workers Reach Settlement in California Labor Law Case ]
Sacramento, CA Employees at car washes in suburban Sacramento and other cities in the Golden State will share in a $1 million settlement over California labor law violations, according to The Sacramento Bee.
January 12, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Car Wash Blues Turn Green with $1 Million Settlement ]
San Ramon, CA It is a victory for anyone who has ever worked for a car wash in California that ignored overtime pay laws. In a settlement announced by the Office of the Attorney General for the State of California, a total of eight car washes throughout the state will pay in excess of $1 million after accusations by workers that they were denied pay.
January 5, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ $31 Million California Labor Code Class-Action Lawsuit Launched ]
Berkley, CA Roberto "Bobby" Rodriquez could be forgiven for fading quietly into the sunset of retirement. He's earned it, after working 33 years in the California steel industry. But even though he retired from Pacific Steel in 2010, his work is unfinished—now that he is speaking out in support of California labor law on behalf of his current and former comrades.
December 28, 2011. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ California Overtime Laws Trump Oracle Overtime Lawsuit ]
Sacramento, CA In an about-face, the Ninth Circuit court confirmed that nonresident employees are subject to California Overtime Law when they perform work in California.
December 9, 2011. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Labor Commissioner Reaches Settlement Over California Overtime Law ]
Bakersfield, CA State Labor Commissioner Julie A. Su reached a settlement totaling $586,068 in four wage cases that were filed to address an issue with the California overtime law, according to a release from the California Department of Industrial Relations (DIR).
November 30, 2011. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ California Overtime: Panera 'Breadwinners' Await Settlement Approval ]
San Bernardino, CA Bakery-cafe employees may be the breadwinners in California Overtime class-action lawsuits filed against Panera Bread Co. Class-action lawsuits filed in 2009 and 2011 claimed the franchise failed to pay overtime and provide breaks at some company or franchised stores in California, which are violations of the California Labor Law.
November 25, 2011. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Oracle to Pay $35 Million in Workers Compensation Settlements ]
San Francisco, CA Oracle Corp. has agreed to pay $35 million in workers compensation settlements to more than 1,700 Bay Area employees who alleged that they were wrongfully denied overtime pay, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.
November 18, 2011. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ ERISA Plan Lawsuit Settled for $6.5 Million ]
Kansas City, MO An ERISA plan lawsuit has recently been settled for approximately $6.5 million. The lawsuit alleged a company mismanaged its employee savings plan, a violation of ERSIA plan laws. Employees who feel their employers have mismanaged employee stock options plans or savings plans may be eligible to file an ERISA lawsuit against their employer or plan fiduciaries.
October 29, 2011. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Denied Social Security Benefits? SSDI Attorney Advises ]
Tulsa, OK If you have been denied Social Security Benefits, Eric Brown, Oklahoma Social Security attorney at Garret Law Offices, advises that you seek legal help before you appeal. And because there are no legal costs involved, many people hire Brown during the initial process. "We are only paid if back pay is awarded," says Brown, "and we don't take any portion of your ongoing monthly benefits." In other words, he only gets compensated if you are awarded a lump sum.
- California Overtime—the Great Divide By Jane Mundy (Oct-28-11)
- California Files for $17 Million in Back Wages, Unpaid Overtime from ZipRealty By Charles Benson (Oct-6-11)
- Unum Group Shares Tumble As Lawsuits Continue to Pile Up By Charles Benson (Oct-4-11)
- Federal Agency Looks to Amend ERISA Plan By Charles Benson (Oct-3-11)
- Can Amazon.com Face Workers' Compensation Lawsuits? By Jane Mundy (Sep-29-11)
- Technician Entitled to California Overtime? By Jane Mundy (Sep-26-11)
- Nortel Settles ERISA Benefits Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Sep-22-11)
- California Labor Law Class Action or Individual Lawsuit? Attorney Explains By Jane Mundy (Sep-22-11)
- Costco Discrimination Class Action Saved By Lucy Campbell (Sep-19-11)
- Judge Approves Terminix Overtime Pay Settlement By Charles Benson (Sep-7-11)
- Los Angeles Times Employees Settle ERISA Benefits Lawsuit By Charles Benson (Sep-5-11)
- Lawsuits Filed for Violations of California Labor Law By Charles Benson (Aug-29-11)
- Los Angeles Times Employees Settle ERISA Plan Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Aug-23-11)
- California Overtime Lawsuits Heat Up in August By Jane Mundy (Aug-23-11)
- Lawsuit Filed against Novo Nordisk over Alleged California Overtime Law Violations By Charles Benson (Aug-11-11)
- BP Looks to Have ERISA Benefits Lawsuits Dismissed By Charles Benson (Aug-10-11)
- Five Common Myths in the Workplace—from a Legal Viewpoint By Jane Mundy (Jul-29-11)
- Former New York Communications Company Accused of ERISA Benefits Violations By Charles Benson (Jul-21-11)
- Novartis Sales Jump amid Sales Representative Lawsuits By Charles Benson (Jul-19-11)
- Nonresidents of California Deserving of Overtime Pay, Supreme Court Rules By Gordon Gibb (Jul-16-11)
- PricewaterhouseCoopers California Overtime Pay Lawsuit to Go to Trial By Charles Benson (Jul-8-11)
- Investors Recoup Losses from J.P. Morgan Investment By Gordon Gibb (Jul-7-11)
- Hundreds Join Pharmaceutical Sales Rep Overtime Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jul-2-11)
- A Twisted Case of California Overtime Pay By Gordon Gibb (Jun-25-11)
- Large Companies Investigated over Potential ERISA Plan Violations By Charles Benson (Jun-23-11)
- Two Las Vegas Lawsuits Allege Unpaid Overtime By Gordon Gibb (Jun-22-11)
- US Supreme Court Strikes Down Massive Wal-Mart Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Jun-20-11)
- Regulators Issue Fines over Violations of California Labor Code By Charles Benson (Jun-20-11)
- Employer Warning: California Overtime in Effect By Jane Mundy (Jun-17-11)
- Complex Litigator Wins Record Amount in Sexual Harassment Case By Brenda Craig (Jun-15-11)
- New Jersey Securities Broker Sues Morgan Stanley for Alleged Overtime Pay Violations By Charles Benson (Jun-9-11)
- CIGNA ERISA Lawsuit Has Something for Everyone By Heidi Turner (Jun-7-11)
- California Overtime Pay for Lifeguards, Firefighters under Scrutiny By Charles Benson (Jun-7-11)
- Nearly $3 Million in Fines for Violations of California Overtime Pay Laws By Gordon Gibb (May-30-11)
- Labor Department Sues Former North Carolina Company over ERISA Benefits By Charles Benson (May-25-11)
- "Limo Drivers Eligible for California Overtime," Says Attorney By Jane Mundy (May-24-11)
- Overtime Pay Lawsuit Mushrooms to $17 Million By Gordon Gibb (May-24-11)
- Former Head of Carpenters' Union Cited for Violating Michigan Labor Law By Charles Benson (May-22-11)
- Labor Attorney Q&A: Impact of Class Action vs Arbitration Decision for California Employees By Jane Mundy (May-17-11)
- Employees File Stockbroker Arbitration Claims By Heidi Turner (May-12-11)