Legal News Articles - Employment
July 4, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Morality Clause at Issue in Ohio Labor Lawsuit ]
Cincinnati, OH When it comes to state labor laws, such as Ohio labor laws, when do Ohio employee rights take precedent over morality clauses? That was the question before a federal jury, who was asked to consider whether Ohio employment labor law was violated by a morality clause.
July 3, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ ERISA Does Not Automatically Provide Awards for Attorney’s Fees ]
Philadelphia, PA When filing an ERISA lawsuit, it is important for plaintiffs to note that the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) does not necessarily provide awards for attorney’s fees. This does not mean that lawsuits regarding ERISA plans should not be filed, but it is something for plaintiffs to be aware of, and it is something a Pennsylvania widow recently learned.
June 30, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Internet Payday Loan Companies Under Fire for Unethical Practices ]
Charleston, WV Five debt collection companies have reportedly settled a lawsuit filed by the West Virginia Attorney General that alleged the companies were attempting to collect on illegal Internet payday loans. Because they are available over the Internet, online payday loans are sometimes made available to consumers in states where the loans are illegal, such as West Virginia. These illegal Internet loans often come with high interest rates, and consumers can very quickly find themselves in much more debt than they anticipated.
June 29, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ DOMA Ruling Affects ERISA ]
Washington, DC A recent ruling by the US Supreme Court regarding the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) will have some effect on employees who are covered by ERISA laws. The ruling, which saw the Supreme Court strike down DOMA as unconstitutional, means people in same-sex marriages who live in states where same-sex marriage is legal will be eligible for federal benefits, such as those provided by ERISA. Although the ruling will affect who is covered by ERISA, it is not expected to substantially increase benefits costs for employers.
June 29, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Wage and Overtime Violations More Widespread Than Thought ]
Los Angeles, CA Unpaid overtime affects workers across a variety of wage brackets, but it is those in the low-wage classification who are routinely victims of overtime law violations. That is according to a 2009 survey regarding overtime pay and other wage violations. And although the survey is from 2009, issues in overtime and wage violations continue to be a concern.
June 26, 2013. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Wrongful Termination - Add Assault Charge ]
Hollister, CA Dave believes he was wrongfully terminated, shortly after he was harassed and physically assaulted by the owner of the company.
June 25, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Gender Harassment in One of the World’s Most Respected Police Forces ]
Vancouver, BC: It’s not the demands of the job, but their fellow male officers that have pushed dozens, if not hundreds, of women in Canada’s Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) to the breaking point says lawyer Alexander Zaitzeff, who represents dozens of female Mounties in a massive class-action gender discrimination suit against the iconic Canadian police force, whose red scarlet tunic is recognized around the world.
June 24, 2013. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Exento de Horas Extras en California ]
Temecula, CA Anna está en un dilema: Ella piensa que su patrón la ha clasificado como una exento para evitar pagar horas extras de California, pero ha hablado y ahora está trabajando en un “ambiente hostil.” Un abogado de ley laboral seguramente le dirá a Anna que una represalia es una violación del Código Laboral de California; sin embargo, la determinación de si Anna es exenta o no, no es tan fácil de determinar.
Asistente Dental a la Que se le Nego Descansos y que la llevo Cuesta Abajo - Ahora Interpone Demanda Laboral en California
June 19, 2013. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Asistente Dental a la Que se le Nego Descansos y que la llevo Cuesta Abajo - Ahora Interpone Demanda Laboral en California ]
Santa Rosa, CA Gina, una Asistente Dental Registrada, estaba contenta con su trabajo en la pequeña clínica de cuidado dental. Tenía mucha ayuda y siempre tuvo dos descansos y el almuerzo, según lo dispuesto por el Codigo de Trabajo de California. Sin embargo, una corporación compro la empresa y - como es logico-poner las ganancias sobre las personas. No había tiempo para descansos. Gina finalmente presentó una demanda de derecho laboral en California.
June 18, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ US Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Donning and Doffing Claim ]
Washington, DC A complex lawsuit has its origins in the debate surrounding whether or not an employee required to wear certain work clothes and safety gear by an employer should be paid for the time it takes to don and then doff the gear. Beyond the potential for an employee to be working off the clock for no compensation is the possibility that once unpaid work time is factored in, an hourly rate of pay can fall below minimums mandated by the state, which in turn allows for an unpaid wages claim.
- The Internet Payday Loan: Interest As High As 1,369 Percent By Gordon Gibb (Jun-16-13)
- California Overtime Lawsuits Drone On… By Gordon Gibb (Jun-12-13)
- $2.7 Million Awarded in California Wrongful Termination Damages By Gordon Gibb (Jun-8-13)
- Installers Getting Money Back After Ohio Labor Laws Violated By Gordon Gibb (Jun-5-13)
- Unum Denies Another Fibromyalgia Case, Attorney to Appeal By Jane Mundy (Jun-3-13)
- Officials Investigate Banks’ Role in Internet Payday Lending By Heidi Turner (May-30-13)
- ‘Keep On Truckin’ Has Little to Do with California Unpaid Overtime By Gordon Gibb (May-29-13)
- Hourly or by the Load? Truckers Seek Class Action By Heidi Turner (May-18-13)
- ERISA Lawsuit Results in $153 Million Settlement By Heidi Turner (May-8-13)
- Ohio Company Settles Employment Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (May-6-13)
- Off-the-Clock Work Alleged at Waste Management Inc. By Gordon Gibb (May-5-13)
- Overtime Pay Class Action All About Getting Ugly By Gordon Gibb (Apr-25-13)
- Employer Accused of Coercion in Overtime Pay Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Apr-19-13)
- Joan Rivers Faces California Labor Complaint By Heidi Turner (Apr-16-13)
- Call Center Employees Not Always Paid for Hours Worked By Heidi Turner (Apr-6-13)
- ERISA Lawsuit Alleges Equity Dump Undertaken to Avoid Pension Obligations By Gordon Gibb (Apr-3-13)
- Akron Restaurant Dropped the Ohio Employment Ball By Gordon Gibb (Apr-2-13)
- Lawyer Spots Sea Change in Wage and Hour Court Battles By Brenda Craig (Mar-29-13)
- Wage and Hour Lawsuits, Including Overtime Lawsuits, Up in 2012 By Heidi Turner (Mar-28-13)
- Exempt from California Overtime? By Jane Mundy (Mar-14-13)
- Couple Uses ERISA to Sue for Same-Sex Spousal Benefits By Heidi Turner (Mar-10-13)
- Insurance Provider Faces Penalties in California Overtime Law Case By Gordon Gibb (Mar-9-13)
- Ohio Employment Class-Action Lawsuit Trial Scheduled for November By Gordon Gibb (Feb-23-13)
- ING Settles ERISA Lawsuit for More Than $5 Million By Heidi Turner (Feb-21-13)
- Wage Theft Settlement Largest in San Francisco History By Gordon Gibb (Feb-21-13)
- Will Judicial Shortage Shortchange Nevada Overtime Laws? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-20-13)
- When Rounding the Time Clock Clicks California Overtime By Jane Mundy (Feb-8-13)
- Lady Gaga Overtime Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Feb-3-13)
- Interns, Charlie Rose Inc. Settle New York Labor Law Dispute By Gordon Gibb (Feb-3-13)
- Overturning ERISA and the Supreme Court Update By Jane Mundy (Feb-3-13)
- Maintenance Firm to Settle Washington Employment Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Jan-31-13)
- Are Employers Doffing Their Legal Responsibility? By Gordon Gibb (Jan-29-13)
- Sticking Up for California Labor Law Rights By Jane Mundy (Jan-28-13)
- Appellate Court Finds for Plaintiff in Neck Injury Case By Gordon Gibb (Jan-24-13)
- Brain Injury Employee Denied Unum Benefits, Insurance Attorney Helps By Jane Mundy (Jan-21-13)
- Massive Computer Glitch Triggers New York Overtime, Wage Debacle By Gordon Gibb (Jan-21-13)
- California Overtime Pay Lawsuit Seeks Compensation for Wearing Safety Gear By Gordon Gibb (Jan-18-13)
- ERISA Laws Protect Against Retaliation By Heidi Turner (Jan-13-13)
- Sexual Harassment Lands Nevada Employer in Hot Water By Gordon Gibb (Jan-4-13)
- Not Paying California Overtime? Misclassified as Exempt No Excuse By Jane Mundy (Jan-4-13)