Legal News Articles - Employment
August 24, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Number of California Social Workers Suing for Overtime Pay Could Rise ]
Ventura County, CA While an honest day’s pay for an honest day’s work is what most Americans are entitled to and can reasonably expect, adherence to overtime pay laws can be murky. That’s because in some sectors overtime pay can be subject to interpretation, and as such, employers with a bent on keeping as much of their bottom line for themselves will conveniently interpret overtime laws to align with their own position, stiffing employees in the process. All too often, employees have little choice but to turn to the courts for justice and their overtime pay packets.
August 17, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Fired Nurse Launches Ohio Employment Lawsuit ]
Columbus, OH An operating room nurse who was fired following a failed kidney transplant operation has filed a wrongful termination lawsuit under Ohio Employment and federal laws. The plaintiff, Melanie Lemay, was a 30-year employee with the University of Toledo Medical Center (UTMC) when she was let go following a paid administrative leave.
August 16, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ California Overtime Law: Money Earned Is Money Earned ]
Anaheim, CA Employees who are not exempt from California overtime pay should be paid time-and-a-half for their hours worked in excess of 40 hours in a week. That is what overtime pay laws state. Unfortunately, employees are often classified as exempt from overtime pay, or their duties off the clock are not classified as “time spent working” so employees find themselves giving up more and more of their time for less and less pay.
August 13, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Maxim Healthcare Facing Second Unpaid Overtime Class Action Lawsuit ]
Atlanta, GA: Maxim Healthcare is facing an unpaid overtime lawsuit filed by a salaried healthcare recruiter working from a Maxim office. The lawsuit contends that the plaintiff and those similarly situated were denied overtime compensation after working in excess of 40 hours a week throughout their employment performing no-exempt work, in direct violation of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
August 11, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ New York State Cracks Down on Illegal Internet Payday Loans ]
Albany, NY Payday lending is already illegal in New York State, as it is in more than a dozen other states in the US. But that hasn’t stopped a myriad of Internet payday lenders from attempting to circumvent state laws by plying their trade online. What online payday lenders may not realize, or perhaps don’t care to know, is that Internet payday loans are just as illegal as making a payday loan in person, in the State of New York.
August 8, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Firing “At-Will” Not the End of the Story ]
New Rochelle, NY Even in at-will states, there is room for a wrongful termination complaint if the fired employee was terminated as a result of discrimination or was terminated in violation of several laws. New York employment law and federal employment law allow an employee to file a New York employment lawsuit if the firing violated federal or New York labor laws.
August 8, 2013. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Home Health Care Workers Qualify for California Overtime ]
Sacramento, CA Home health care workers are increasingly in demand - this occupation is the second top-growth occupation in the State of California. But health aide workers are seldom paid California overtime or minimum wage, which likely puts them at the bottom of a “most desirable” occupation list.
August 2, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ ERISA Lawsuits Filed following Striking of DOMA ]
Chicago, ILERISA lawsuits have been filed in the aftermath of the Supreme Court’s ruling striking down the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). The act, which was struck down in the lawsuit of Edith Windsor, has paved the way for lawsuits, including ERISA lawsuits, to be filed across the United States, as people in same-sex marriages fight for their right to spousal benefits.
August 1, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Apple Faces California Overtime Lawsuit ]
San Francisco, CA Apple Inc. may be known for its high-tech gadgets and its Apple stores, but it may soon be known for a lawsuit alleging violations of overtime laws. The lawsuit, filed by employees in California and New York, alleges employees were not properly given overtime pay for all the duties they performed as part of their job.
July 31, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Oil & Gas Workers Win Wage & Hour Back Pay Victory ]
Washington, DC Morco Geological Services Inc., doing business as Morco Geological, has agreed to pay $595,737 in back wages to 121 current and former mud logging technicians following an investigation by the US Labor Department’s Wage and Hour Division, which found violations of the minimum wage, overtime and record-keeping provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
- New Wage and Hour Law Passed By Lucy Campbell (Jul-29-13)
- Internet Payday Loan Companies Accused of Hiding behind Immunity By Gordon Gibb (Jul-29-13)
- Pending Trial a Test for California Wrongful Termination Law By Gordon Gibb (Jul-24-13)
- 588 Hours and Nothing to Show for It By Gordon Gibb (Jul-21-13)
- Virginia Files Internet Payday Loans Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-19-13)
- Employee of Kentucky Government Files Employment Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-18-13)
- California Overtime Lawsuit Settled By Heidi Turner (Jul-14-13)
- Egress and Regress, Donning and Doffing: Employees Working Off the Clock By Heidi Turner (Jul-11-13)
- When a Contract Is Terminated, Is There California Wrongful Termination? By Jane Mundy (Jul-11-13)
- Oregon Labor Rules Better Than Most, but Complaints Remain By Gordon Gibb (Jul-5-13)
- Morality Clause at Issue in Ohio Labor Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-4-13)
- ERISA Does Not Automatically Provide Awards for Attorney’s Fees By Heidi Turner (Jul-3-13)
- Internet Payday Loan Companies Under Fire for Unethical Practices By Heidi Turner (Jun-30-13)
- DOMA Ruling Affects ERISA By Heidi Turner (Jun-29-13)
- Wage and Overtime Violations More Widespread Than Thought By Heidi Turner (Jun-29-13)
- Wrongful Termination - Add Assault Charge By Jane Mundy (Jun-26-13)
- Gender Harassment in One of the World’s Most Respected Police Forces By Brenda Craig (Jun-25-13)
- Exento de Horas Extras en California By Jane Mundy (Jun-24-13)
- Asistente Dental a la Que se le Nego Descansos y que la llevo Cuesta Abajo - Ahora Interpone Demanda Laboral en California By Jane Mundy (Jun-19-13)
- US Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Donning and Doffing Claim By Gordon Gibb (Jun-18-13)
- The Internet Payday Loan: Interest As High As 1,369 Percent By Gordon Gibb (Jun-16-13)
- California Overtime Lawsuits Drone On… By Gordon Gibb (Jun-12-13)
- $2.7 Million Awarded in California Wrongful Termination Damages By Gordon Gibb (Jun-8-13)
- Installers Getting Money Back After Ohio Labor Laws Violated By Gordon Gibb (Jun-5-13)
- Unum Denies Another Fibromyalgia Case, Attorney to Appeal By Jane Mundy (Jun-3-13)
- Officials Investigate Banks’ Role in Internet Payday Lending By Heidi Turner (May-30-13)
- ‘Keep On Truckin’ Has Little to Do with California Unpaid Overtime By Gordon Gibb (May-29-13)
- Hourly or by the Load? Truckers Seek Class Action By Heidi Turner (May-18-13)
- ERISA Lawsuit Results in $153 Million Settlement By Heidi Turner (May-8-13)
- Ohio Company Settles Employment Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (May-6-13)
- Off-the-Clock Work Alleged at Waste Management Inc. By Gordon Gibb (May-5-13)
- Overtime Pay Class Action All About Getting Ugly By Gordon Gibb (Apr-25-13)
- Employer Accused of Coercion in Overtime Pay Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Apr-19-13)
- Joan Rivers Faces California Labor Complaint By Heidi Turner (Apr-16-13)
- Call Center Employees Not Always Paid for Hours Worked By Heidi Turner (Apr-6-13)
- ERISA Lawsuit Alleges Equity Dump Undertaken to Avoid Pension Obligations By Gordon Gibb (Apr-3-13)
- Akron Restaurant Dropped the Ohio Employment Ball By Gordon Gibb (Apr-2-13)
- Lawyer Spots Sea Change in Wage and Hour Court Battles By Brenda Craig (Mar-29-13)
- Wage and Hour Lawsuits, Including Overtime Lawsuits, Up in 2012 By Heidi Turner (Mar-28-13)
- Exempt from California Overtime? By Jane Mundy (Mar-14-13)