Legal News Articles - Elder Care
May 28, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Financial Elder Abuse Via Silver-Tongued Swindlers ]
Yakima, WA Examples of financial elder abuse run the gamut from unscrupulous family members taking advantage of a senior to total strangers engaging in financial exploitation of elders. Such was the case of Leslie Fleming, who, according to the 5/18/10 issue of the Yakima Herald-Republic, had been frugal his entire life and saved every penny. He would make a habit of walking daily along North 40th Avenue in Yakima, collecting coins and redeemable cans from the sidewalk.
March 29, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Richmond Woman Faces Charges of Nursing Home Abuse after Alleged Kidnapping Plot ]
Berkeley, CA A 51-year-old Richmond woman faces a nursing home abuse lawsuit stemming from allegations that she stole more than $50,000 from six elderly patients, including one woman whom she kidnapped.
March 22, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Three Elder Care Homes Fined in Iowa ]
Coralville, IA It is against the law in Iowa for elder care workers to remain silent when they see examples of abuse. However, according to the 3/18/10 edition of the Iowa City Press-Citizen, the mandatory reporter law—designed to protect some 40,000 care facility residents in the state—is rarely enforced. There is little incentive for caregivers to report nursing home abuse when those who blow the whistle run the risk of reprisal.
March 11, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ For-Profit Elder Care Hospitals Subject of Investigation ]
Tulsa, OK Last month the New York Times published an in-depth exposé of elder abuse at many US care facilities. The story prompted the Senate Finance Committee to launch an investigation into patient deaths and allegations of substandard treatment.
February 2, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Two Minnesota Law Firms Launch Case over Nursing Home Abuse ]
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN Two law firms have brought litigation against the Good Samaritan nursing facility and four fired aids over recent charges of nursing home abuse involving several patients suffering from dementia.
December 5, 2009. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Nursing Home, Nurses' Aides Sued for Nursing Home Abuse ]
Richmond, KY A surveillance camera captured images of nursing home abuse in what has been deemed the second-worst elder care facility in the nation, according to the US Government Accountability Office (GAO).
November 22, 2009. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Elder Care a Ticking Time Bomb in Illinois? ]
Chicago, IL A troubling elder care story coming out of Chicago underscores concern over nursing home neglect and related issues in Illinois. As the investigation continues, elder care law will be tested.
October 23, 2009. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Nursing Home Abuse Threatens Vulnerable Patients ]
Seattle, WA Although senior citizens are among the most vulnerable of our population, or maybe because of it, nursing home abuse continues to be a major concern for those who know elderly people living in nursing homes. Elder care neglect still occurs far too frequently, often having serious consequences for the victims. There are laws designed to protect victims of nursing home injury, but it may require the aid of a lawyer.
September 29, 2009. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Ex Cons Caring for our Elderly in Florida ]
St. Petersburg, FL An emerging issue tied to the topic of nursing home abuse and elder care neglect by workers at nursing homes, relates to the personal backgrounds of individuals who some might argue have no business working at an elder care facility.
September 29, 2009. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Bad Behavior Returning to the Nursing Home Business ]
Chicago, IL: For a while, nursing home care was improving. Bad operators in the business were sued into submission or driven out of business by tough legislation. "Unfortunately, conditions for nursing home residents are once again on the decline," says Steve Levin, a well-known lawyer and litigator from the firm of Levin & Perconti.
- Nursing Home Neglect Affects the Most Vulnerable By Gordon Gibb (Apr-30-09)
- Long Term Care Insurance Claims Denied, Denied, Denied By Heidi Turner (Apr-11-09)
- Old People Deserve Justice Too By Brenda Craig (Apr-3-09)
- Nursing Home Abuse Continues to be a Scourge By Gordon Gibb (Mar-30-09)
- An Emerging Form of Nursing Home Abuse By Gordon Gibb (Feb-27-09)
- When Financial Advisors Commit Elder Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jan-30-09)
- Seniors Duped in Financial Elder Abuse Scams By Gordon Gibb (Jan-17-09)
- Understanding Financial Elder Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jan-13-09)
- The AARP Temple Leaving Many Seniors Out in the Cold By Gordon Gibb (Jan-12-09)
- You Never Suspect Your Siblings of Financial Elder Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jan-4-09)
- The Grinch Lives in San Mateo, and Commits Financial Elder Abuse By Gordon Gibb (Dec-23-08)
- When Mean Girls Lurk in the Nursing Home By Gordon Gibb (Dec-18-08)
- Woman Found Guilty of Financial Elder Abuse By Heidi Turner (Dec-16-08)
- Better be on your death-bed to collect Conseco Long Term Care Insurance By Jane Mundy (Dec-10-08)
- Recovering Money Lost to Financial Elder Abuse By Heidi Turner (Nov-28-08)
- Long Term Health Care Insurance: An Expert Consultant Weighs In: Part II By Jane Mundy (Nov-21-08)
- Brothers Commit Financial Elder Abuse Against Family Members By Heidi Turner (Nov-19-08)
- Nursing Home Abuse: When Elder Care Isn't There By Gordon Gibb (Nov-15-08)
- As Financial Elder Abuse Goes, This Story Could be a Movie By Gordon Gibb (Nov-12-08)
- Seniors Victimized in Financial Elder Abuse Scams By Heidi Turner (Oct-24-08)
- Nursing Home Giant Focus of Class Action Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-23-08)
- Long Term Care Insurance: The Denial Game By Jane Mundy (Oct-16-08)
- In a Troubled Economy, Financial Elder Abuse on the Rise By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-08)
- Financial Elder Abuse: Mother Victimized by Son, Daughter By Heidi Turner (Oct-5-08)
- Interview with Financial Elder Abuse Attorney Philip Brown By Heidi Turner (Oct-1-08)
- Financial Elder Abuse Law: Protecting Those Who Can't Protect Themselves By Heidi Turner (Sep-25-08)
- Nursing Home Evictions Equated to Human Dumping By Gordon Gibb (Aug-11-08)
- Nursing Home to Pay for Alleged Abuse By Gordon Gibb (Aug-10-08)
- Steven M. Levin: Nursing Homes Try to 'Lawsuit Proof' Themselves. By Brenda Craig (Jul-23-08)
- Nursing Home Negligence: Tyranny in a Care Giver's Clothes By Gordon Gibb (Jul-21-08)
- Family to File Lawsuit against Nursing Home for Death (Apr-8-08)
- Death of Elderly Mother Due to Arsenic Death Causes Daughter to File Suit (Mar-16-08)
- Nursing Home Abuse: Organizations Defend Seniors By Heidi Turner (Mar-9-08)
- Nursing Home Abuse: "Common but Underreported" By Heidi Turner (Feb-24-08)
- Shocking Cases of Nursing Home Abuse By Heidi Turner (Feb-10-08)
- Nursing Home Nurse Accused of Abusing Patients (Feb-6-08)
- Nursing Home: "Abuse Used to get Residents to Comply" By Heidi Turner (Feb-1-08)
- More Lawsuits Filed Against Nursing Homes Alleging Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jan-20-08)
- Nursing Home Abuse: An Overview By Heidi Turner (Jan-12-08)
- Beaten Down: Nursing Home Abuse Citations on the Rise By Gordon Gibb (Jan-9-08)