Legal News Articles - Drugs/Medical
August 23, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: If there was ever any doubt that Risperdal gynecomastia was a compelling issue that too few knew about, that myth was dispelled when a Risperdal lawsuit landed squarely onto the pages of People Magazine in February, 2015.Read [ Philadelphia Judge Refuses to Overturn $2.5 Million Risperdal Plaintiff Verdict ]
August 22, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: When Janumet (sitagliptin and metformin combined) was approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2007, the type 2 diabetes drug was within five years of achieving sales of $1.7 Billion. That year, when Janumet hit blockbuster status by 2012, the parent drug of Janumet – Januvia – earned $4 Billion for manufacturer Merck & Co. Januvia has been associated with Januvia side effects, and has resulted in Januvia cancer lawsuits.Read [ Janumet Patient Felled by Cancer of the Pancreas in 2012 ]
August 22, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Toronto, ON:Four years ago David had triple bypass heart surgery and he has been suffering from infections ever since. “Nobody could tell us why he was getting so many infections, until we got a letter from the hospital that said this Stockert 3T heater-cooler system used during surgery is linked to a rare bacterial infection,” says Shelly, David’s wife.Read [ Heart Surgery Patient Blames Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler System for Infections ]
August 21, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: The idea behind the IVC filter may have been meritorious: for those patients at high risk for blood clot or pulmonary embolism, for whom blood thinners are either not appropriate or ineffective, a so-called ‘catcher’s mitt’ strategically placed within the inferior vena cava artery will entrap a blood clot migrating up from the lower extremities, preventing the clot from reaching the heart or lungs.Read [ The Human Body is Designed to Move, Whereas the IVC Filter is Not: A Disconnect? ]
August 20, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Pittsburgh, PA: There is little doubt that endoscopes, duodenoscopes and other intricate scopes designed for ‘internal diagnostics’ are a godsend for patients and used hundreds of times a day, says Dr. Raymond Pontzer of Pittsburgh-based UPMC. “The benefit far outweighs the risks,” the director of infection prevention for the nonprofit said in comments published in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette (07/04/17). However, the risks cannot be discounted, as many an endoscope infection lawsuit has shown.Read [ Scoping the Landscape of Endoscope Infection ]
August 20, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: In the third week of the current talcum powder trial, plaintiff’s doctor Annie Yessaian explained to the Los Angeles jury that talc can increase the risk of cancer. In its defense, J&J called to the stand Alan Andersen, a former FDA scientist and former director of the Cosmetic Ingredient Review, who said that studies showed talc had “unremarkable” effects on human cells.Read [ Talcum Powder Cancer Trial: Who is More Credible? ]
August 17, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
St. Louis, MO: A judgement for the defendant made by a lower court was upheld on appeal, affirming the original finding in favor of DePuy Orthopaedics in a hip replacement implant failure lawsuit. And while there is little doubt the plaintiff suffered from her allegedly defective hip implant, issues with the testimony of an expert witness appeared to sink the case for the plaintiff.Read [ Summary Judgment for DePuy Upheld in Defective Hip Lawsuit ]
August 14, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC: Plaintiffs have now filed more than 1,400 Propecia lawsuits alleging that the drug, also known as finasteride, caused a variety of side effects, including sexual dysfunction, depression and cognitive disorders. These symptoms may persist even after the drug is discontinued.Read [ Propecia Lawsuit Plaintiffs Should Brace for Statute of Limitations Fight ]
August 14, 2017. By Brenda Craig.
Atlanta, GA: In May 2015, Cynthia Ziegler from Brookhaven, Georgia received a devastating diagnosis from her doctor. Ziegler had stage IV lung cancer and there was no reason for optimism. Until that day Ziegler had no idea there was a dangerous cancer lurking in her chest.Read [ Cancer Patient Files Lawsuit for Delayed Diagnosis ]
August 12, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Dartmouth, NS: It might be argued that an 86-year-old individual shouldn’t be spending his twilight years suffering debilitating pain and surgical mesh complications from an allegedly defective surgical product. But such is the fate of a Canadian man who alleges that Ethicon Physiomesh, which has been recalled by Health Canada, is responsible for his suffering.Read [ Pain from Surgical Mesh Complications Dropped Physiomesh Patient “To My Knees” ]
- Implantable Defibrillators with Faulty Batteries Lead to Class Action By Brenda Craig (Aug-12-17)
- California Saxagliptin Lawsuit Plaintiffs Score Big Procedural Win By Anne Wallace (Aug-11-17)
- Deadline Set in $300 Million Settlement in Benicar Lawsuit – Short Window! By Brenda Craig (Aug-10-17)
- Father Worries about his Incarcerated Son with Risperdal “Female Boobs” By Jane Mundy (Aug-9-17)
- Are Risk of Invokana and Invokamet Bone Fractures a Sign of Fractured Regulations? By Gordon Gibb (Aug-8-17)
- Monsanto to Merge with Bayer, While Still Facing Hurdles By Gordon Gibb (Aug-7-17)
- Why Mirena IUD implants are on the Rise By Jane Mundy (Aug-7-17)
- Xarelto Seeking FDA Approval for Lower Dosage While Litigation Posturing Continues By Gordon Gibb (Aug-5-17)
- Another DePuy Defective Hip Implant Lawsuit Heads to Trial By Anne Wallace (Aug-5-17)
- Inside the $300 Million Benicar Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Aug-5-17)
- Defense Win in Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit Reversed By Gordon Gibb (Aug-3-17)
- Mother and Nurses Blame Catheter for Baby’s Death By Jane Mundy (Aug-3-17)
- $300M Benicar Settlement Reached By Lucy Campbell (Aug-3-17)
- Abilify Victim Gambled away Student Loan and More… By Jane Mundy (Aug-2-17)
- Hip Replacement and Cobalt Poisoning misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's By Jane Mundy (Aug-1-17)
- Actemra Arthritis Medication Suspected in Over a Thousand Deaths By Gordon Gibb (Aug-1-17)
- Women Speak Out About Essure Health Problems By Lucy Campbell (Jul-31-17)
- Healthcare Fraudsters Caught in Giant DOJ Sweep By Brenda Craig (Jul-30-17)
- Study Finds That Heater-Cooler Devices Used in Surgery Could Be Contaminated By Deb Hipp (Jul-29-17)
- Toxic Talc Trial Begins in California By Jane Mundy (Jul-29-17)
- Canadian Manufacturer of Anti-Abuse OxyContin Bioequivalent Seeks FDA Approval By Gordon Gibb (Jul-28-17)
- Kentucky Supreme Court Upholds Appellate Ruling, IVC Filter Lawsuit Can Proceed By Gordon Gibb (Jul-28-17)
- Mixed Metals at Core of Stryker LFIT V40 Hip Implants By Brenda Craig (Jul-27-17)
- Abdominal Mesh Agony and Advice By Jane Mundy (Jul-26-17)
- Viagra/Cialis and Melanoma: Jury is Still Out By Jane Mundy (Jul-24-17)
- Risperdal Now the Fastest-Growing Mass Tort Program By Jane Mundy (Jul-24-17)
- Another Catheter Recalled By Jane Mundy (Jul-23-17)
- California Software Company Sues Competitors Over Use of Employment Agreements By Deb Hipp (Jul-22-17)
- Onglyza, Kombiglyze Maintain Risks in Spite of Dismissed Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Jul-22-17)
- ED-530XT Duodenoscopes Recalled By Lucy Campbell (Jul-21-17)
- Improvements in Cleaning Endoscopes Still not Universally Implemented: Study By Gordon Gibb (Jul-21-17)
- Class Action St. Jude Medical Lawsuit Launched in Canada, Seeks $800 Million By Gordon Gibb (Jul-19-17)
- Illinois Fights Opioid Crisis with Class Action Suit By Brenda Craig (Jul-19-17)
- Medtronic Knew About Deficiencies, Lawsuit Says By Gordon Gibb (Jul-18-17)
- Taxotere Multidistrict Litigation May Remand Some Cases to State Courts By Deb Hipp (Jul-18-17)
- Ethicon Physiomesh Withdrawn from Market, Never Formally Recalled By Gordon Gibb (Jul-17-17)
- Eliquis Lawsuit Alleges Wrongful Death, Product Misrepresentation By Gordon Gibb (Jul-16-17)
- Georgia Woman Stricken Following Childbirth Awarded Nearly $46 Million By Gordon Gibb (Jul-15-17)
- Supreme Court Ruling May Affect Talcum Powder Lawsuit Claims By Deb Hipp (Jul-13-17)
- Essure Sales Decline as Complaints Increase and ObGyn Tips for Removal By Jane Mundy (Jul-13-17)