Legal News Articles - Drugs/Medical
December 21, 2016. By Jane Mundy.
Dallas, TX: Negligence allegations against Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnson and Bayer AG may have fizzled somewhat. Two recent issues do not bode well for plaintiffs filing Alere INRatio lawsuits. The FDA recently announced that the Alere INRatio anti-coagulation monitoring device had no substantial effect on the outcome of the ROCKET-AF trial and in turn did not significantly favor Xarelto as earlier suspected, and a California Alere class action suit in September was dismissed.Read [ Three Points for Alere INRatio Device ]
December 19, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Orlando, FL: In spite of a position taken by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that Laparoscopic Uterine Surgery for women Involving power morcellators only be used in relatively rare cases, Olympus America Inc. has released a new power morcellator equipped with a containment bag.Read [ Olympus America Attempts a Power Morcellation Comeback ]
December 19, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Cleveland, OH: It's a nightmare many women don't anticipate when making a decision concerning birth control—the risk that reversible birth control might suddenly become irreversible. But that's what some women allege has happened after they received the Implanon birth control implant. Plaintiffs in lawsuits filed against the maker of Implanon say the device unexpectedly migrated in their body, making it impossible to remove and possibly rendering them incapable of becoming pregnant.Read [ Implanon Lawsuits Allege Nightmare Situations for Women ]
December 18, 2016. By Jane Mundy.
Crewe, VA: No medical insurance? If it’s not a life-threatening situation, you may want to reconsider treatment at a hospital’s emergency room. Carlos could have saved thousands of dollars if he was treated by a veterinarian. Instead he is dealing with outrageous emergency room overcharges.Read [ ER Hospital Overcharges: Bat Bite Cost Uninsured $40K ]
December 17, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Boston, MA: A hip replacement implant failure lawsuit that was dismissed back in February, only to be appealed by the plaintiffs to a higher court, remains firmly in the sights of defendants Johnson & Johnson (J&J) and DePuy Orthopaedics Inc (DePuy). Earlier this month, J&J together with DePuy urged a three-judge panel with the First Circuit to uphold the ruling of the lower court.Read [ J&J and DePuy Looking to Have Qui Tam Pinnacle Lawsuit Dismissed ]
December 16, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Springfield, IL: It's been more than a year since the first Bravelle lawsuit was filed in the United States and a judge has recently ruled that Bravelle claims can move forward, meaning 2017 could be a big year for Bravelle litigation. The fertility treatment was voluntarily recalled in 2015 after reports emerged that the drug could lose its potency.Read [ 2017 Could Be a Big Year for Bravelle Litigation ]
December 16, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Dallas, TX: Catheters are devices of varying sizes designed for insertion into the body in order to facilitate a wide variety of treatments. They are designed to unobtrusively perform their respective functions and tasks, followed by extraction without any lingering sign the catheters had been there in the first place. However, various reports of defective catheters causing injury, together with a rash of recalls, suggest catheters are not living up to their role as an invisible sentry.Read [ Recalls Over Catheter Fragments Increasing, More Manufacturers Involved ]
December 15, 2016. By Jane Mundy.
Washington, DC: Studies have shown that some anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs) are safer than others during pregnancy. For instance, Lyrica is classified as Category C while Topamax has Category D status. But both AEDs have been associated with birth defects.Read [ Lyrica and Topamax: Same but Different ]
December 14, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Hartford, CT: Although there have been some huge victories for plaintiffs in Stevens Johnson syndrome lawsuits, 2016 saw a win for Johnson & Johnson, which was fighting a claim involving a young man who took his own life after developing Stevens Johnson syndrome (SJS). 2016 also saw the Supreme Court uphold a massive award for an SJS plaintiff, offering hope to other plaintiffs who allege they suffered debilitating side effects as a result of using certain medications.Read [ Johnson & Johnson Wins An SJS Lawsuit ]
December 13, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Dallas, TX: Johnson & Johnson has been ordered by a federal jury in Dallas to pay more than $1 billion to six patients who said the company's metal-on-metal Pinnacle hip implants were defectively designed and caused them harm. Although Johnson & Johnson subsidiary DePuy Orthopaedics indicated it would appeal the decision, the victory could be a huge one for other plaintiffs waiting for their metal-on-metal hip implant lawsuit to move forward.Read [ Johnson & Johnson Ordered to Pay $1 Billion in Hip Replacement Lawsuit ]
- Essure Injury Lawsuits Moving Forward By Jane Mundy (Dec-13-16)
- Court Spells Out Bair Hugger Bellwether Trial Timelines By Gordon Gibb (Dec-13-16)
- Updated FDA Review Suggests Link Between Actos and Bladder Cancer By Lucy Campbell (Dec-13-16)
- Taxotere and Cosmetic Prostheses By Jane Mundy (Dec-11-16)
- Latest Bellwether Risperdal Lawsuit Underway in Philadelphia By Gordon Gibb (Dec-10-16)
- More Hospitals, Not FDA, Warn Patients of Stockert 3T Heater Cooler Infection Risk By Jane Mundy (Dec-10-16)
- Judicial Panel Considers Consolidating Invokana Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Dec-10-16)
- Abilify Coast to Coast: “Off-Label” Lawsuit Settles in California, MDL Pending in Florida By Jane Mundy (Dec-9-16)
- Transvaginal Mesh Complication Increases with Procedures Performed in Tandem By Gordon Gibb (Dec-9-16)
- DePuy Pinnacle Plaintiff Received Hip Replacement at 16, Says “Life Ruined” By Gordon Gibb (Dec-8-16)
- Study: Propecia Sexual Dysfunction Worse in Men with Neurobiological Abnormalities By Gordon Gibb (Dec-7-16)
- Salvage Owner Jailed for Asbestos Violations By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-16)
- FDA Assurances Likely Not Enough to Satisfy Xarelto Litigants By Gordon Gibb (Dec-5-16)
- Hope For Patients With IVC Filter? By Heidi Turner (Dec-5-16)
- Pradaxa Bleeding Risk Increased With Certain Statins: Study By Gordon Gibb (Dec-4-16)
- Bellwether Cases for Propecia Litigation Chosen By Heidi Turner (Dec-4-16)
- Talcum Powder Cancer Concerns By Jane Mundy (Dec-3-16)
- FDA Weighs in Alere Recall and Potential for Skewed Results By Gordon Gibb (Dec-3-16)
- $1B DePuy Pinnacle Hip Implant Verdict Against J&J By Lucy Campbell (Dec-2-16)
- Benicar Lawsuit Plaintiffs Attempt Motion for Summary Judgement By Gordon Gibb (Dec-2-16)
- Transvaginal Mesh Woman Waits for Justice By Brenda Craig (Nov-30-16)
- Cancer Survivor Hopes Taxotere Lawsuit will Channel her Anger By Jane Mundy (Nov-30-16)
- Risperdal Awards Add Up For Plaintiffs By Heidi Turner (Nov-29-16)
- Hospital Overcharging Made Worse by Out-of-Network Practitioners By Gordon Gibb (Nov-29-16)
- Hospitals, Medical Centers Caught Up in Endoscope Infection Turmoil By Heidi Turner (Nov-28-16)
- More to IVC Filter Failure Than Meets the Eye By Gordon Gibb (Nov-27-16)
- More Talcum Powder Lawsuits Filed as Woman Awarded $70 Million By Heidi Turner (Nov-26-16)
- Stockert 3T Heater Concerns Rising, Not Awareness By Jane Mundy (Nov-26-16)
- New Ethicon Physiomesh Lawsuit Filed By Heidi Turner (Nov-26-16)
- Transvaginal Mesh Deaths Reported as Injuries? By Jane Mundy (Nov-25-16)
- Stryker Hip Replacement Lawsuit Can Proceed By Gordon Gibb (Nov-23-16)
- FDA Announces New Testosterone Warnings By Heidi Turner (Nov-23-16)
- FDA Warns Risk of Death and Injury with Recalled HeartWare Heart Implants By Lucy Campbell (Nov-22-16)
- If You’re Uninsured Hospital Overcharges can Ruin Your Credit, and More… By Jane Mundy (Nov-22-16)
- Don’t Read Anything into $70 Million Risperdal Settlement: Attorney By Gordon Gibb (Nov-22-16)
- Latest Taxotere Plaintiff Alleges Permanent Hair Loss By Gordon Gibb (Nov-20-16)
- Patient Has IVC Filter Removed After 18 Years, Others Not So Lucky By Gordon Gibb (Nov-18-16)
- Bravelle Infertility Class Action Lawsuit Going Forward on Negligence Claims By Gordon Gibb (Nov-17-16)
- Trump’s Win Sees Scores of Women Pursuing Longer Lasting Birth Control By Gordon Gibb (Nov-17-16)
- Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler System: A Condensed Time Frame By Jane Mundy (Nov-16-16)