LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONDiet/Health Supplements
Legal News Articles - Diet/Health Supplements
October 30, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Lawsuit Updates: Energy Drinks ]
The family of a young Brooklyn man who died of heart failure after drinking Red Bull has filed an $85 million lawsuit against the manufacturer Monday, the New York Post reports.
October 5, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Regulators Ask Energy Drink Makers to Stop Marketing to Children ]
Farmington Hill, MI Regulators have sent letters to the makers of energy drinks asking them to stop marketing their products to children and youth. The letters were sent following a hearing, held on July 31, 2013, before the United States Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee, regarding concerns about Monster Energy and other energy drink companies.
September 28, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Young Monster Drink Nation Not Conditioned to Super-Caffeine: Professor ]
Houston, TX The immense popularity of energy drinks is at long last being met with increased scrutiny, say health advocates. And none too soon, given reports of Monster Energy Drink Deaths and Hospitalizations. To be fair, Monster is just one manufacturer amongst a host of players capitalizing on the energy drink phenomenon. Still, Monster is a market leader and has been tied to at least one death involving 14-year-old Anais Fournier.
September 20, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Are Energy Drink Companies Downplaying the Risks? ]
San Antonio, TX Often when a company fights with legislators over the safety of its product, studies, data and reviews are included in the debate as proof of the harmlessness of a particular product. But how unbiased are those studies, especially those funded by companies who have a vested interest in the data? An editorial in BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal; published online 9/12/13) suggests that energy drink makers are downplaying the risks of energy drink side effects in studies funded by energy drink companies.
September 8, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Monster Caffeine Levels: When Too Much Energy Isn’t Good for You ]
McKinney, TX Of the Monster drink contents in a typical Monster energy drink, caffeine has taken center stage. And with good reason, since all Monster drinks contain more caffeine than what is allowed for soda, and some contain more than that found in coffee.
August 31, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ More Experts Speak Out against Energy Drinks ]
Newark, NJ More experts are speaking out against energy drinks, especially when they are used by children and adolescents. Despite being asked at a senate hearing on energy drinks to not market the drinks to anyone under the age of 16, because of a reported risk of energy drink hospitalization or death, energy drink makers have only said that they would not market to those under the age of 12.
August 30, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Are Monster Caffeine Levels Akin to a Jekyll-and-Hyde Personality? ]
Corona, CA Everyone agrees that alleged Monster Energy Drink Deaths and Hospitalizations is no laughing matter. And yet, while the two sides in the debate continue to polarize opinion on the safety of energy drinks, Monster Beverage Corp. includes in its line of products “Anti-Gravity Extra Strength,” which is a Monster drink fused with nitrous oxide to provide, according to a Monster website, “a unique texture, smooth drinkable flavor and buzz that’s bigger than ever.”
August 8, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Senate Focuses on Energy Drink Deaths ]
Washington, DC The US Senate has held a hearing into energy drink deaths and hospitalizations, questioning the makers of energy drinks, including Monster Energy drink, about the safety of their products. Although the companies stand behind their product, saying they put consumer safety first, concerns have been raised that the energy drinks are being marketed to children and teens, who could be more susceptible to adverse events from the increased caffeine levels.
July 27, 2013. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Healthy Life Chemistry dietary supplement warning ]
Washington, DC The FDA on July 26 warned the public not to consume the dietary supplement B-50 Healthy Life Chemistry. The manufacturer, Purity First, has marketed the product as a vitamin B dietary supplement. However, a preliminary laboratory analysis conducted by the FDA determined the product contains methasterone, a controlled substance, and dimethazine. Both are two potentially harmful anabolic steroids not listed in the label and definitely not to be included in a dietary supplement.
July 26, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Study Suggests Monster Energy Drinks Linked to Heart Changes ]
New Orleans, LA A 2013 study presented to the American Heart Association suggests that Monster Energy drinks may be linked to an increase in blood pressure and changes in the heart’s rhythm. Lawsuits have been filed against Monster Beverage Corp, alleging people have died after drinking the highly caffeinated beverages.
- Monster Energy Drink Wrongful Death Lawsuit Attorney Speaks with LawyersandSettlements.com By LAS Staff Writer (Jul-22-13)
- The “Monster” That Lurks Within Can Allegedly Be Deadly By Gordon Gibb (Jul-20-13)
- Family Blames Monster Energy Drink on Uncle’s Death By Jane Mundy (Jul-10-13)
- Mother Blames Monster Energy Drink for Daughter’s Chest Pains By Jane Mundy (Jun-27-13)
- Death of Teenager Prompts Second California Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Monster Beverage Corporation By LAS Staff Writer (Jun-26-13)
- American Medical Association Bans Energy Drinks Like Monster By Lucy Campbell (Jun-19-13)
- Energy Drink Hospitalizations Hit 20,000 By Lucy Campbell (Jun-14-13)
- Monster Drink Contents Soon to Be Spelled Out, but Concerns Remain By Gordon Gibb (Jun-1-13)
- Monster Energy Drinks Plaintiff Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (May-28-13)
- Monster Energy Drink Dangerous to Children By Lucy Campbell (May-17-13)
- Family of Teenager Killed by Energy Drink Files Suit By Abi Kistler (Oct-23-12)
- Natural Remedy Fraud: Take Lipozene with a Grain of Salt By Jane Mundy (Feb-7-12)
- Doctors Note Homeopathic Remedies "Seldom Effective" By Charles Benson (Jan-25-12)
- FDA Issues Warning about Certain Homeopathic Remedies By Heidi Turner (Jan-17-12)
- Hope or Hype? The Scourge of Homeopathic Fraud By Gordon Gibb (Jan-10-12)
- Attorney Discusses Homeopathic Remedies Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Dec-30-11)
- Omega Alpha Kidney Flush Recalled in Canada By Lucy Campbell (May-4-11)
- Nutrition Express Recalls Protein Supplements Because Of Possible Salmonella Contamination By Lucy Campbell (Mar-30-11)
- FDA Issues Safety Alert for Soladek Vitamin Solution By Lucy Campbell (Mar-29-11)
- Nationwide Recall of Dietary Supplements X-Hero and Male Enhancer By Lucy Campbell (Mar-28-11)
- U-Prosta Natural Products Recalled Nationwide By Lucy Campbell (Mar-23-11)
- Man Sues Four Loko Over Heart Damage By Lucy Campbell (Mar-21-11)
- Vitalabs Recalls Whey Protein due to Salmonella Contamination By Lucy Campbell (Mar-11-11)
- Teavana Organic Peppermint Tea Recalled due to Possible Salmonella Contamination By Lucy Campbell (Mar-8-11)
- Biotab Recalls Extenze Nutritional Supplements By Lucy Campbell (Feb-23-11)
- Shaping Beauty Weight Loss Pills Recalled Nationwide By Lucy Campbell (Feb-4-11)
- Synerate Weight Loss Product Recalled Due to Risk for Serious Adverse Events By Lucy Campbell (Jan-7-11)
- Fruta Planta Weight Loss Products Linked to Heart Attacks, Death By Lucy Campbell (Dec-31-10)
- Makers of 7 Caffeinated Alcoholic Beverages Stop Production By Lucy Campbell (Nov-25-10)
- FDA to Effectively Ban Caffeine and Alcohol Drinks Like Four Loko and Joose By Lucy Campbell (Nov-16-10)
- New Research Finds Energy Drink Ingredient May Aggravate Cancer in Lab Rats By Charles Benson (Nov-7-10)
- Duro Extend Capsules Recalled By Lucy Campbell (Nov-4-10)
- FRS Energy Drink Versus an Apple By Jane Mundy (Nov-3-10)
- Drinks that Mix Alcohol and Caffeine Linked to Hospitalizations By Lucy Campbell (Oct-27-10)
- FRS Healthy Energy Revamping In Spite of Questions By Gordon Gibb (Oct-21-10)
- FRS Clinical Studies: Men are not Mice By Jane Mundy (Oct-7-10)
- FRS Energy: Magic Bullet or Sham? By Gordon Gibb (Sep-25-10)
- Diet Supplements Recalled By Lucy Campbell (Sep-20-10)
- FTC Alleges Internet Fraud Over Acai Weight Loss Supplement By Charles Benson (Aug-26-10)
- FDA Warns of Serious Harm from Drinking Miracle Mineral Solution (MMS) By Lucy Campbell (Aug-2-10)