Legal News Articles - Defective Products
March 21, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
New Orleans, LA: It didn’t matter that a $502 million defective hip implant lawsuit verdict that went against DePuy Orthopaedics (DePuy) and its parent company Johnson & Johnson (J&J) was slashed to $150 million in observance of a Texas state cap: the defendants are appealing anyway. The verdict was brought last year in the second bellwether trial in a massive multidistrict litigation alleging hip replacement implant failure related to DePuy hip implants.Read [ Despite Steep Reduction in Award, Plaintiff’s Defective Hip Implant Verdict Appealed ]
March 20, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: A Risperdal lawsuit that alleged the growth of male breast tissue (Risperdal gynecomastia) suffered by the plaintiff was stopped dead in its tracks before a trial reached the verdict stage after a Pennsylvania judge determined that Johnson & Johnson (J&J) and its Risperdal unit, Janssen Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Janssen) had not failed to adequately warn about gynecomastia risk as the plaintiff had asserted, thus pulling the rug out from under the lawsuit.Read [ Recent Risperdal Lawsuit Tossed, Plaintiffs Plan to Appeal ]
March 20, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Washington, DC: Brazil’s National Health Agency has banned sales and recalled Essure, and advocacy groups worldwide are pressuring their governments to follow suit.Read [ Brazil Recalls Essure and Note to Bayer: Share the Knowledge ]
March 19, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Boston, MA: In response to plaintiffs' January motion to keep an Alere INRatio class action lawsuit alive, Alere recently pushed back with arguments that the court should dismiss the case.Read [ Alere Pushes for Dismissal of Home Blood Test Kits Class Action ]
March 18, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Seattle, WA: Almost two years after heart bypass surgery Raymond received a letter in the mail. “It said they had used the Stockert 3T heater-cooler system machine during my initial surgery and that there had been problems attributed to that machine,” he says. The letter didn’t say how Raymond should proceed with a Stockert 3T complaint –but his attorney can.Read [ Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler System Letter: Evidence, Explanation or Apology? ]
March 17, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Silver Spring, MD: Six months after Medtronic issued a voluntary recall on certain potentially defective catheters, the Federal Drug Administration has announced an update on a previous recall on two of Medtronic's implantable drug pumps.Read [ FDA Issues Recall on Medtronic Implantable Pain Pumps ]
March 16, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Washington, DC: Complaints are mounting against Merck, the manufacturer of the shingles vaccine Zostavax that has been linked to life-threatening side effects. And the first Zostavax Injury Lawsuit was recently filed.Read [ Shingles Vaccine Lawsuits Mounting ]
March 15, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: Two hernia mesh lawsuits have been filed related to failed Ethicon Physiomesh that has since been recalled voluntarily by the manufacturer in several countries. The product was approved in 2010 by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) through the fast-track 510(k) Clearance program as it was deemed to be substantially similar to other products on the market at the time.Read [ Two Recent Surgical Mesh Lawsuits Assert Ethicon Physiomesh is Defective ]
March 15, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Indianapolis, IN: At least four more IVC Filter lawsuits have been filed so far this month, adding to more than 3,000 complaints that people have been injured by IVC filters that have been referred to as “deadly missiles” when fractured.Read [ IVC Filters “Deadly Missiles” ]
March 15, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Chicago, IL:An Illinois federal judge has extended until April the deadline to allow plaintiffs on a Bravelle class action to join additional parties to the lawsuit.Read [ Federal Judge Extends Deadline to Add Parties to Bravelle Class Action ]
- Zimmer Biomet Shoulder Implant Recall Requires Immediate Attention By Brenda Craig (Mar-14-17)
- Implanon Complaints are Not without Precedent By Gordon Gibb (Mar-14-17)
- Evidence in Asbestosis Claim Failed to Meet California Minimums for Plausibility By Gordon Gibb (Mar-14-17)
- The Watchdog Group that Rang the Bell on Anti-acid Meds By Brenda Craig (Mar-12-17)
- Missouri Jury Finds in Favor of Johnson & Johnson on Talcum Powder Case By Deb Hipp (Mar-10-17)
- Failed INRatio Device Fast-Tracked to Market By Gordon Gibb (Mar-10-17)
- Monsanto-Gate: Leaked Roundup Cancer Report By Jane Mundy (Mar-9-17)
- Plaintiffs Allege Exploding Pressure Cooker Injuries from Tristar Product By Gordon Gibb (Mar-8-17)
- Invokana Lawsuits Will Remain in Federal Court In Philadelphia By Gordon Gibb (Mar-8-17)
- Hoping for a Hassle-Free Hip Implant a Roll of the Dice By Gordon Gibb (Mar-7-17)
- Number of Pending Risperdal Lawsuits Grows to 18,500 Cases By Deb Hipp (Mar-7-17)
- Abilify Makes Headlines By Jane Mundy (Mar-4-17)
- Potential for Permanent Taxotere Hair Loss Not Widely Promoted By Gordon Gibb (Mar-4-17)
- Auto Manufacturers Claim to be Takata Airbag Victims By Gordon Gibb (Mar-3-17)
- Granuflo Bellwether Case Fails to Prove Fault By Lucy Campbell (Mar-3-17)
- Defective Hip Implants: Newer Isn’t Always Better By Gordon Gibb (Mar-1-17)
- First Physiomesh Hernia Mesh Lawsuit Slated for Trial – and More Mesh Complications By Jane Mundy (Mar-1-17)
- Plaintiffs Looking for a Slam Dunk in First Xarelto Bellwether Trial This Month By Gordon Gibb (Mar-1-17)
- Canadian Transvaginal Mesh Class Action By Jane Mundy (Feb-28-17)
- Takata to Pay $1B for Airbag Scandal By Lucy Campbell (Feb-28-17)
- Essure or Hysterectomy—the Latter May Be Preferable By Jane Mundy (Feb-27-17)
- Number of Taxotere MDL Lawsuits Surpasses 700 Cases By Deb Hipp (Feb-27-17)
- IVC Filter Recipient Walking Time Bomb? By Jane Mundy (Feb-25-17)
- Implanon Reviews Could Steer Women Away From the Birth Control Device By Deb Hipp (Feb-24-17)
- Family Blames Takata Airbag for Woman's Death By Deb Hipp (Feb-23-17)
- The FDA Shortcut to a Hip Replacement Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Feb-22-17)
- Talcum Powder Ovarian Cancer Whistleblower By Jane Mundy (Feb-21-17)
- Regulatory Concern Mounting Over Power Morcellators, Adverse Events Reports By Gordon Gibb (Feb-21-17)
- Blogger Says ‘No Thanks’ to IVC Filter By Gordon Gibb (Feb-19-17)
- Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler System Confusion and Concern By Jane Mundy (Feb-19-17)
- Plaintiff Claims C-Qur Mesh Biologically Incompatible with Human Tissue By Gordon Gibb (Feb-19-17)
- Alere INRatio Plaintiffs Petition Court to Keep Lawsuit Alive By Gordon Gibb (Feb-17-17)
- Nurse Lives with Bard IVC Filter tine lost in her Body By Brenda Craig (Feb-16-17)
- Taxotere Hair Loss Lawsuits Moving Forward in MDL By Gordon Gibb (Feb-15-17)
- Young Mother Recounts Horrid Experience with Birth Control Implant By Gordon Gibb (Feb-15-17)
- Endoscope Disinfection Problems Extend Beyond Devices Themselves By Gordon Gibb (Feb-14-17)
- Mesothelioma Victim Washed Late Husband’s Work Clothes By Gordon Gibb (Feb-13-17)
- Former Propecia Users May Have Underlying Neurobiological Abnormalities By Deb Hipp (Feb-13-17)
- US Food and Drug Administration, FDA, St. Jude Medical Inc. By Gordon Gibb (Feb-12-17)
- Appeals: I’ve had a Few, but then Too Few to Mention? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-10-17)