Legal News Articles - Defective Products
January 15, 2018. By Brenda Craig.
St. Louis, MO: The courtroom was so packed with lawyers, clients, and interested parties that the Judge had to call for more chairs to be brought in at the first status hearing on the National Prescription Opiate Litigation proceedings in Cleveland, Ohio.Read [ Ohio Judge in Opioid MDL Wants Solutions ]
January 13, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Toronto, ON: Imagine the panic one might feel when told the defibrillator relied upon to help keep you alive, could fail at any time and with little warning. In reality, that circumstance is one Canadian lawsuit plaintiff Shirley Houle didn’t have to imagine. Amongst the St. Jude ICD and CRT-D device lawsuits, is a Canadian class action launched this past May.Read [ Canadian Class Action Launched Against Defective St. Jude Cardiac Defibrillators ]
January 12, 2018. By Brenda Craig.
Philadelphia, PA: A ruling by three appeal court judges in Pennsylvania has turned the tables on Johnson & Johnson (J&J) and Janssen saying that some 5,500 Risperdal plaintiffs with cases consolidated in a state mass tort litigation have the right to pursue punitive damages.Read [ Game Changer Ruling for Risperdal Plaintiffs in Pennsylvania ]
January 11, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Baton Rouge, LA Another death has been revealed from faulty Takata defective airbags after a man from Louisiana succumbed to his airbag injuries following a crash in July. The death has been confirmed by Honda, the manufacturer of the car the victim was driving when the accident took place. The death, revealed to Honda and the media late last month, brings to 20 the number of deaths worldwide that have been attributed to the problematic airbags.Read [ Another Death Has Been Blamed on Defective Takata Airbags ]
January 9, 2018. By Lucy Campbell.
Chicago, IL: Just days before the third Androgel lawsuit was set to go to court, the multi-million dollar verdict-winning lawyers representing the plaintiffs in the testosterone multidistrict litigation (MDL) swapped out their key lawyers.Read [ Androgel Bellwether Case Gets New Legal Team ]
January 8, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Orlando, FL:At the beginning of last year, Takata—the automotive parts company behind the largest automotive recall in the nation’s history—entered into a plea agreement with the United States Department of Justice (DOJ). The company then declared bankruptcy a few months later, setting off an avalanche of legal filings throughout the world, with an international corporate restructuring effort continuing to this day. “It’s critical to remember that as this process plays out, consumers have and will continue to be hurt and killed by rupturing airbags,” says attorney Frank Melton of Newsome Melton, PA.Read [ The Future of Takata Airbag Claims ]
January 7, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
New Orleans, LA:With three federal bellwether cases having gone to the defendant and a fourth in state court favoring the plaintiff, the judge heading up the 18,500 consolidated cases in federal court has signaled he is looking for guidance from the various parties involved, with oral arguments on the docket for the end of the month following a status report. The Xarelto Lawsuit MDL is under the guidance and management of US District Judge Eldon Fallon in US District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana.Read [ Xarelto Bellwether Score is 3-1 for the Defendants: MDL to Map out Strategy ]
January 4, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Jefferson City, MO:A St. Louis Circuit Judge in 2016 ruled that an Essure lawsuit filed by 92 women against Bayer could proceed in Missouri, but now that may not be the case. All the plaintiffs claimed they suffered injuries after having the permanent birth control device implanted, and they contended that Bayer is subject to jurisdiction in this state because it does business, generates revenue and conducts marketing for Essure in Missouri.Read [ Court Rules in Favor of Essure Contraceptive Device Maker ]
January 2, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Detroit, MI Ford and Mazda have announced that they will recall hundreds of thousands of 2004 to 2006 Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series trucks made by Ford. The second round of airbag recalls affects vehicles that were previously recalled in 2015 and 2016 for a temporary replacement of faulty airbag inflator mechanism. Takata airbags have been linked to 20 deaths and hundreds of injuries. In 2017 years of lawsuits forced Takata into bankruptcy.Read [ Second Airbag Recall for Ford and Mazda Trucks ]
January 1, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Cleveland, OH:Across the U.S., city and county newspapers looking back on 2017 say the top news story was the opioid crisis. And opioid litigation already looks like it will dominate legal news in 2018.Read [ Opioid Epidemic Biggest News Story in 2017, Opioid Litigation May be Biggest Legal News in 2018 ]
- ‘Failure to Warn’ at Heart of Onglyza Lawsuits By Anne Wallace (Dec-31-17)
- “I want this Mirena IUD out, over and done with.” By Jane Mundy (Dec-30-17)
- Knee Replacement Recipient is “Done with Surgeries” By Jane Mundy (Dec-29-17)
- Asbestos Mesothelioma Verdict for the Plaintiff worth $22.17 Million By Gordon Gibb (Dec-25-17)
- Alaskan Health Insurer Sues Abbott / St. Jude over Defective ICD Batteries By Gordon Gibb (Dec-24-17)
- DePuy Hip’s Million Dollar Surgeons “Taking Share of Business” By Jane Mundy (Dec-24-17)
- Invokana Amputation Lawsuits Cite Consumer Advertising By Anne Wallace (Dec-22-17)
- $27.8 Million Xarelto Plaintiff Verdict Could be Tossed Out By Gordon Gibb (Dec-20-17)
- Some Heart Patients with St. Jude Battery are Ticked Off By Jane Mundy (Dec-19-17)
- Two Arguments to Watch in Physiomesh Bellwether Trials By Anne Wallace (Dec-18-17)
- Victory for Risperdal Plaintiffs By Jane Mundy (Dec-18-17)
- Cook Celect Filters Approved Through FDA Shortcut Protocol By Gordon Gibb (Dec-16-17)
- The Sad Pathway to Airbag Injury By Gordon Gibb (Dec-15-17)
- Not Too Late for Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Dec-14-17)
- The Talcum Powder Cases Heading for Massive Trials Next Year By Brenda Craig (Dec-12-17)
- Monsanto v. Scientists over Glyphosate as a Probable Carcinogen By Gordon Gibb (Dec-11-17)
- Exploding Airbags Cause Chemical Burns By Anne Wallace (Dec-6-17)
- “Physicians tell us they are working on how best to remove Essure,” says member of Essure Support Group By Jane Mundy (Dec-5-17)
- $28M Xarelto Verdict Against J&J and Bayer By Lucy Campbell (Dec-5-17)
- Are PPIs Especially Dangerous for Women? By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-17)
- Asbestos Mesothelioma Victim Was a Sitting Judge in Texas By Gordon Gibb (Nov-29-17)
- Johnson & Johnson Wins First Mesothelioma Trial By Anne Wallace (Nov-28-17)
- Takata Given Room to Breathe Over Defective Airbags for Now By Gordon Gibb (Nov-28-17)
- Risperdal Defense Verdict Overturned Due to “Erroneous Evidentiary Rulings” By Gordon Gibb (Nov-27-17)
- Stryker Defective Hip Implant Lawsuit Plaintiff Survey Deemed ‘Intrusive’ By Gordon Gibb (Nov-26-17)
- More Stockert 3T Heater-Cooler Lawsuits after Slow-Developing Infections By Jane Mundy (Nov-26-17)
- Study Suggests IVC Filter Use is on the Decline, But Problems Remain By Gordon Gibb (Nov-25-17)
- Consumer Advocate Blames both Manufacturer and FDA for Dragging their Heels By Gordon Gibb (Nov-23-17)
- Toddler Loses Leg and all her Fingers in Pressure Cooker Explosion By Anne Wallace (Nov-22-17)
- Monsanto Still Fighting California’s Carcinogen Listing for Glyphosate in Roundup By Gordon Gibb (Nov-21-17)
- Men Allege Propecia Sexual Dysfunction, but what About Women and Propecia Side Effects? By Gordon Gibb (Nov-21-17)
- DePuy Attune Knee Replacement Can Result in Physical, Emotional and Financial Pain By Jane Mundy (Nov-21-17)
- Invokana Lawsuits Consolidated into MDL in New Jersey By Anne Wallace (Nov-20-17)
- Actemra Linked to Heart Attacks and Deaths, But Label Remains Unchanged By Gordon Gibb (Nov-20-17)
- Respected Consumer Advocate Public Citizen wants Benicar Banned By Gordon Gibb (Nov-18-17)
- Is it Getting Just a Bit Harder to Bring an Eliquis Lawsuit? By Gordon Gibb (Nov-18-17)
- Transvaginal Mesh Victim calls Implant the “Alien Thing” By Jane Mundy (Nov-18-17)
- Trial for First Philadelphia Mass Tort Xarelto Lawsuit Finally Underway By Gordon Gibb (Nov-17-17)
- Medtronic SynchroMed Plaintiff Loses Case, But Will He Appeal? By Gordon Gibb (Nov-17-17)
- $247M Verdict for Plaintiffs In DePuy Pinnacle Hip Replacement Trial By Lucy Campbell (Nov-16-17)