Legal News Articles - Defective Products
January 12, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Seattle, WA: The FDA recommended back in 2010 that IVC filters be removed as soon at the risk passed and in 2014 repeated this communication, adding that filter pieces could migrate within the body. And judging from the growing number of IVC Filter lawsuits, including two inferior vena cava (IVC) filter class actions in Canada, the device may soon be pulled from the market.Read [ IVC Filters: Remove from Body and Market ]
January 11, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Edmonton, AB: While a class action lawsuit waged against Halliburton Co. has gone on for some 14 years, it’s been more than 114 years that knowledge about the dangers of asbestos and asbestosis lung disease has been known. Only in the last few decades has the industrialized world taken the risks of asbestos seriously by phasing asbestos out in certain products, and asbestos abatement procedures for the renovation industry has reflected the adoption of asbestos as a carcinogen, and a truly hazardous material.Read [ Asbestosis Risk has been known since Roman Times ]
January 11, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Dallas, TX: A number of complaints allege that Ethicon Physiomesh, a surgical mesh used to repair hernias, has done more harm than good. “I anticipate surgical mesh lawsuits, such as Ethicon Physiomesh, will see similar volume as transvaginal mesh lawsuits,” says attorney Shezad Malik.Read [ Attorney Anticipates Surgical Mesh and Transvaginal Mesh Lawsuits Similar in Volume ]
January 10, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Nashville, TN: Last October the CDC reported that M. chimaera contamination of heater/cooler devices, of which 60 to 70 percent stem from the Stockert 3T heater-cooler system had been found in Iowa and Pennsylvania. Just one month later, a global outbreak linking the devices was reported. M. chimaera is a rare bacteria, a species of nontuberculous mycobacterium (NTM).Read [ Stockert 3T Infections Widespread ]
January 10, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: As principles with Janssen Pharmaceuticals continued to maintain that pre-trial Risperdal settlements are one-offs and not an indication of any emerging strategy, Janssen nonetheless settled a Risperdal lawsuit Friday before what would have been the seventh Risperdal gynecomastia trial had a chance to start.Read [ Seventh Risperdal Gynecomastia Case Settled Prior to Trial ]
January 9, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Santa Clara, CA: Today the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued information and recommendations regarding cybersecurity vulnerabilities for St. Jude Medical's radio frequency (RF)-enabled implantable cardiac devices and Merlin@home Transmitter. The agency, while confirming there is a risk for a breach, has also noted that to date they have not received any reports of patient harm related to these cybersecurity vulnerabilities.Read [ FDA Warns Cybersecurity Vulnerabilities Identified With St. Jude’s Implantable Cardiac Devices ]
January 7, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Dallas, TX: Various events in the Hip Replacement Implant Failure file in 2016 may have a bearing on events for the year ahead. This, amidst a continued aging of the largest single segment of the US population, the Baby Boomer, together with a continued need for joint replacement in order to allow patients retained mobility for a generation inherently more active than their predecessors.Read [ Seismic Shifts For DePuy MDL in 2017? ]
January 7, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Ottawa, ON: Infertility is typically considered a woman’s issue, but three out of 10 cases of infertility are due to problems deriving from the man, according to statistics from Canada’s federal government. Many factors can contribute to male infertility, including Propecia, which is known to affect sperm quality.Read [ Propecia Infertility: Kids Don’t Care if You’re Bald ]
January 6, 2017. By Heidi Turner.
New Orleans, LA: It's only been three months since the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation (JPML) consolidated the federal Taxotere lawsuits, but in that time the number of Taxotere claims added to the multidistrict litigation (MDL) has increased dramatically, a sign that women are unhappy about allegedly being put at an increased risk of side effects. Sanofi SA faces allegations it failed to adequately warn women that the hair loss they experienced as a result of the cancer treatment drug could be permanent.Read [ Number of Consolidated Taxotere Lawsuits Jumps ]
January 6, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Santa Clara, CA: A $13.7 million judgement in favor of a plaintiff who has sued Johnson & Johnson’s subsidiary Ethicon, over injuries related to Ethicon's mid-urethral sling device, should not be reversed on appeal. That’s the opinion of Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas Judge Kenneth J. Powell Jr., who is presiding over the case and who wrote "The evidence of defendant-appellant's wanton and willful disregard for plaintiff adequately supported the jury's award of punitive damages."Read [ $13.7M Ethicon Vaginal Mesh Award Should Stand ]
- First Xarelto Bellwether Trial Due in March, Others to Follow in 2017 By Gordon Gibb (Jan-6-17)
- 2017 Expected to be a Landmark Year for Airbag Injury Litigation By Gordon Gibb (Jan-6-17)
- J&J’s Cost of Defending its Talcum Powder is Rising By Jane Mundy (Jan-6-17)
- Pradaxa Lawsuits Allege Pradaxa Bleeding Risk, Insufficient Warnings By Gordon Gibb (Jan-4-17)
- Story of Failed DePuy Hip Replacement Devices “Shocking” says Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Jan-4-17)
- Alere Inc. In Tough over Recalled INRatio, Abbott Merger in Jeopardy By Gordon Gibb (Jan-3-17)
- More Evidence Linking Monsanto’s Roundup to Cancer By Jane Mundy (Jan-2-17)
- More Benicar Generics Poised for US Market, Benicar Lawsuits Keep Coming By Gordon Gibb (Jan-1-17)
- “I Could Be a Ticking Time Bomb,” says IVC Filter Patient By Jane Mundy (Dec-31-16)
- Risperdal for Kids Reaps Big Bucks—but for how long? By Jane Mundy (Dec-29-16)
- Was the FDA Aware of Migration Risk Prior to Implanon Approval? By Gordon Gibb (Dec-29-16)
- Stockert 3T System “No Easy Fix” and the FDA’s Catch-22 By Jane Mundy (Dec-27-16)
- Stryker Hip Settlement Expanded By Heidi Turner (Dec-27-16)
- Will FDA Guidance Help Stem Endoscope Lawsuits Going Forward? By Gordon Gibb (Dec-26-16)
- Ten Long Years: Transvaginal Mesh Victim Finally gets Justice By Jane Mundy (Dec-26-16)
- Wrongful Death Talcum Powder Lawsuit Filed By Heidi Turner (Dec-23-16)
- Surgical Mesh Lawsuit to Proceed By Gordon Gibb (Dec-23-16)
- Taxotere Hair Loss: a Look Back at 2016 By Gordon Gibb (Dec-22-16)
- C.R. Bard Reveals Latest Litigation Cases in SEC Filing By Gordon Gibb (Dec-22-16)
- Airbag Injuries Plaintiff Three Inches From Death Defective Airbag By Gordon Gibb (Dec-21-16)
- Three Points for Alere INRatio Device By Jane Mundy (Dec-21-16)
- Olympus America Attempts a Power Morcellation Comeback By Gordon Gibb (Dec-19-16)
- Implanon Lawsuits Allege Nightmare Situations for Women By Heidi Turner (Dec-19-16)
- J&J and DePuy Looking to Have Qui Tam Pinnacle Lawsuit Dismissed By Gordon Gibb (Dec-17-16)
- 2017 Could Be a Big Year for Bravelle Litigation By Heidi Turner (Dec-16-16)
- Recalls Over Catheter Fragments Increasing, More Manufacturers Involved By Gordon Gibb (Dec-16-16)
- Johnson & Johnson Wins An SJS Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Dec-14-16)
- Johnson & Johnson Ordered to Pay $1 Billion in Hip Replacement Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Dec-13-16)
- Essure Injury Lawsuits Moving Forward By Jane Mundy (Dec-13-16)
- Court Spells Out Bair Hugger Bellwether Trial Timelines By Gordon Gibb (Dec-13-16)
- Updated FDA Review Suggests Link Between Actos and Bladder Cancer By Lucy Campbell (Dec-13-16)
- Taxotere and Cosmetic Prostheses By Jane Mundy (Dec-11-16)
- Latest Bellwether Risperdal Lawsuit Underway in Philadelphia By Gordon Gibb (Dec-10-16)
- More Hospitals, Not FDA, Warn Patients of Stockert 3T Heater Cooler Infection Risk By Jane Mundy (Dec-10-16)
- Judicial Panel Considers Consolidating Invokana Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Dec-10-16)
- Abilify Coast to Coast: “Off-Label” Lawsuit Settles in California, MDL Pending in Florida By Jane Mundy (Dec-9-16)
- Transvaginal Mesh Complication Increases with Procedures Performed in Tandem By Gordon Gibb (Dec-9-16)
- Fire Department Sees Two Dehumidifier Fires in Sheboygan By Brenda Craig (Dec-8-16)
- DePuy Pinnacle Plaintiff Received Hip Replacement at 16, Says “Life Ruined” By Gordon Gibb (Dec-8-16)
- Study: Propecia Sexual Dysfunction Worse in Men with Neurobiological Abnormalities By Gordon Gibb (Dec-7-16)