Legal News Articles - Consumer Fraud
September 15, 2011. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Judge in Bank Overdraft Fees Case Rules in Favor of Plaintiffs ]
Denver, CO Banks across the United States are feeling the wrath of unhappy customers as lawsuits alleging excessive bank overdraft fees pile up. Customers allege they are not only charged outrageous bank overdraft fees but are also subjected to reordering of transactions, which pushes their accounts into overdraft quickly, increasing the amount they pay in banking overdraft fees.
August 8, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ DuPont Pulls Imprelis ]
Dover, DE: DuPont's new herbicide Imprelis is being pulled from the market following a flurry of complaints and lawsuits over dead and damaged trees.
July 1, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Medical Journal Blasts Medtronic Infuse Bone Graft Data over Alleged Bias ]
New York, NY A review article published on Tuesday in The Spine Journal is sounding the alarm over data on Medtronic’s Infuse Bone Graft. Co-authored by three US-based physicians, the article states that in 13 trials which included 780 patients, industry funded researchers failed to report a single adverse event involving Infuse.
May 31, 2011. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Class Action Contends Author's Story Untrue ]
Great Falls, MT Millions of people around the world were inspired and swept up by the story of American Greg Mortenson and his selfless efforts to build schools for children in remote regions of Afghanistan and Pakistan. But, a class-action suit for fraud filed in Montana, where Mortenson lives, alleges the adventures documented in Mortenson's best-selling book Three Cups of Tea and Stones Into Schools were "fabrications."
May 5, 2011. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Attorney Discusses Limits on Class Actions ]
Washington, DC The recent Supreme Court ruling (Apr. 27, 2011)—where companies and/or employers can now require consumers to arbitrate disputes individually rather than joining forces in a consumer fraud class action, for instance, could have far-reaching implications for everyone. What does this decision mean to the typical consumer? Attorney George L. Garrow, Jr. of The Garrow Law Firm in Washington, DC, weighs in…
April 27, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ California Launches Investigation Into MetLife Death Payment Practices ]
Sacramento, CA Insurance Commissioner Dave Jones and California State Controller John Chiang have announced the issuance of a subpoena and joint investigative hearing into the practices of Metropolitan Life Insurance Company (MLIC), also known as MetLife.
April 12, 2011. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ UBS Fined for Lehman Brothers Principal Protected Notes ]
New York, NY In the ongoing battle concerning UBS Lehman Principal Protected Notes, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) has issued a blow against the UBS Lehman structured notes. FINRA has awarded more than $8 million to investors who alleged that UBS downplayed the risks associated with the Lehman Brothers Principal Protected Notes.
April 5, 2011. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ UBS Lined Its Pockets While Hanging Investors Out to Dry: Allegation ]
Orlando, FL Among a host of investors who were stung by alleged fraud thought to be associated with UBS Lehman Principal Protected Notes are retired individuals desperately trying to grow their nest egg through risk-free investments and a not-for-profit organization using the investment product to raise some much-needed capital with which to operate and undertake good works.
March 28, 2011. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Nationwide Recall of Dietary Supplements X-Hero and Male Enhancer ]
Washington, DC USA Far Ocean Group Inc is conducting a nationwide recall of the Company's two supplement products sold under the names X-Hero and Male Enhancer. The Company has been informed by representatives of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that lab analysis by FDA of X-Hero sample found the product contains sulfosildenafil, the analogue of the active ingredient of an FDA-approved drug used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED), making X-Hero an unapproved drug. In addition, FDA analysis of Male Enhancer sample found the product contains tadalafil, the active ingredient of an FDA-approved drug used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED), making Male Enhancer an unapproved drug.
March 27, 2011. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Attorney: Advisors and Brokers Could Be Liable for Alleged Carr Miller Investor Losses ]
Marlton, NJ Investors who lost money in the alleged Carr Miller Capital Ponzi Scheme may worry that there will be no money left over for them to recover their losses. After all, the defendants, Everett Charles Ford Miller, Ryan J. Carr, Brian P. Carr, reportedly spent $13 million on personal purchases. Christopher J. Gray, attorney with the Law Office of Christopher J. Gray, P.C. in New York City, says there may be more than one way for investors to recover money lost in the alleged Ponzi scheme.
- Investors Filing Claims against UBS Lehman Brothers Principal Protected Notes By Heidi Turner (Mar-26-11)
- $23.4 Million for Medical Sales Exec Who Blew the Whistle By Brenda Craig (Mar-24-11)
- The Debate Rages: Does hCG Melt Pounds? Is It Safe? By Gordon Gibb (Mar-13-11)
- UBS Lehman: How Safe Are Principal Protected Notes? By Heidi Turner (Mar-11-11)
- hCG Dieter Suffers Pulmonary Embolism By Lucy Campbell (Mar-10-11)
- Carr Miller Ponzi Scheme: What Should Investors Do? By Heidi Turner (Mar-9-11)
- Morgan Keegan Under Fire for Feeding Madoff Funds By Lucy Campbell (Mar-9-11)
- What's in a Name? Not Much, Say UBS Lehman Investors By Gordon Gibb (Mar-4-11)
- Defendant in Alleged Carr Miller Capital Ponzi Scheme Forced to Resign By Gordon Gibb (Mar-3-11)
- Investors Lose Millions in Alleged Carr Miller Ponzi Scheme By Heidi Turner (Feb-24-11)
- Biotab Recalls Extenze Nutritional Supplements By Lucy Campbell (Feb-23-11)
- Nutella Has Been Served—with a Lawsuit By Brenda Craig (Feb-15-11)
- UBS Lehman Brothers: What Did They Know—and When? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-15-11)
- Match.com Is a Fraud Says Class-Action Suit By Brenda Craig (Feb-8-11)
- UBS Hit Hard in Lehman Brothers Principal Protected Notes Arbitration By Heidi Turner (Feb-8-11)
- Carr Miller Ponzi Scheme: Did They Spend the Money on Themselves? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-7-11)
- Romanian Housekeeper Sued for Estate Fraud in Texas By Brenda Craig (Feb-7-11)
- More Fallout from Alleged Carr Miller Capital Ponzi Scheme By Heidi Turner (Feb-4-11)
- Shaping Beauty Weight Loss Pills Recalled Nationwide By Lucy Campbell (Feb-4-11)
- Chicago Firm Takes Care of Business By Brenda Craig (Feb-4-11)
- Attorney Chases Justice in Foreclosure Crisis By Brenda Craig (Feb-3-11)
- Is a UBS Fraud Arbitration Claim Better Than Class Action? By Gordon Gibb (Jan-21-11)
- Judge Allows Experts' Witnesses in Avandia Lawsuits By Lucy Campbell (Jan-20-11)
- HoMedics TheraP Faces Consumer Class Action By Lucy Campbell (Jan-17-11)
- Investment Fraud Claims Filed Concerning NNN Capital Opportunity Fund, the IMH Secured Loan Fund, and the Oppenheimer Rochester National Municipal By Lucy Campbell (Jan-12-11)
- State of New Jersey Sues Carr Miller over Alleged Ponzi Scheme By Gordon Gibb (Jan-6-11)
- UBS Lehman Brothers Securities Fraud By Lucy Campbell (Jan-5-11)
- Fruta Planta Weight Loss Products Linked to Heart Attacks, Death By Lucy Campbell (Dec-31-10)
- Carr Miller Capital Faces Allegations of Operating Ponzi Scheme By Lucy Campbell (Dec-27-10)
- Predatory Lending, Mortgage Fraud in the Spotlight By Gordon Gibb (Dec-24-10)
- Toyota To Pay $32 Million Over Vehicle Recalls By Lucy Campbell (Dec-21-10)
- Madoff Investor Returns $7.2 Billion to Ponzi Victims By Lucy Campbell (Dec-17-10)
- Makers of 7 Caffeinated Alcoholic Beverages Stop Production By Lucy Campbell (Nov-25-10)
- FDA warns consumers not to use Vigor-25 By Lucy Campbell (Nov-19-10)
- FDA to Effectively Ban Caffeine and Alcohol Drinks Like Four Loko and Joose By Lucy Campbell (Nov-16-10)
- Everybody Deserves Due Process Says Attorney Gary Mason By Brenda Craig (Nov-12-10)
- Former Glaxo Executive Indicted By Gordon Gibb (Nov-10-10)
- Kentucky Gets Part of Lexapro Settlement By Charles Benson (Oct-28-10)
- Government Probe into Elder Abuse Reveals Wide Spread Fraud By Lucy Campbell (Oct-27-10)
- Top Officials Arrested in Massive Medicare Fraud By Jane Mundy (Oct-22-10)