Legal News Articles - Consumer Fraud
November 21, 2012. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ “Unum Put Me One Day Away From Being Homeless” ]
Fort Worth, TX You could say that giving someone with a heart condition one day’s notice that his long term disability benefits will be terminated is life-threatening. Yet Unum, (also known as Unum Provident and the largest health insurance provider in the US) did just that, according to Byron.
November 21, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ A Year After Fatal Shooting, Bad Faith Insurance Plaintiff Still Waits for Her Money ]
Santa Ana, CA It wasn't enough that Sandi Fannin lost her husband, many of her friends and her business in a horrific shooting in the Golden State last fall. Now, according to a bad faith insurance lawsuit, Fannin is allegedly experiencing untoward delays and denials at the hands of her insurer, adding further heartbreak to an already devastating event.
November 18, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Securities Lawsuit Filed Against Wells Fargo ]
Columbus, NB A securities lawsuit has been filed against Wells Fargo, alleging the company misled managers of Nebraska Public Power District's (NPPD) retirement plan about the risks associated with an investment. The securities fraud lawsuit alleges Wells Fargo engaged in fraud, misleading statements and other deceptive practices when marketing its investment to NPPD.
November 17, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Allegations of Wrongdoing Made Against Home Warranty Companies ]
Dallas, TX With all the home warranty companies, extended warranty programs and insurance options, homeowners would be forgiven for thinking their homes and appliances were covered. After all, home warranty products offered by companies such as American Home Shield and First American Home Buyers are marketed as covering repairs and replacements to various appliances and systems in the home. But home warranty lawsuits allege claims made against home warranty programs can be difficult to get approved—mirroring many people's frustrations with insurance companies.
November 16, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Court Backs Stockbroker Arbitration Ruling ]
Atlanta, GA In a rare situation in which a stockbroker arbitration ruling has been appealed, a US court has backed the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority's ruling against Merrill Lynch. Arbitrations involving allegations of stock fraud and stockbroker misconduct are rarely appealed—usually the decision is considered binding—but in this case Merrill Lynch was allowed to appeal the decision. The US District Court for the Northern District of Georgia, however, found that the arbitration panel's decision was justified.
November 8, 2012. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ SuperStorm Sandy Investment and Insurance Fraud Scams ]
Washington, DC Because hurricanes, floods and natural disasters of all kinds give rise to investment scams, Part 3 of our series on SuperStorm Sandy scams highlights information by the Security Exchange Commission’s (SEC) Office of Investor Education and Advocacy on avoiding Hurricane Sandy investment scams.
November 7, 2012. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ SuperStorm Sandy Home Repair and Car Scams ]
Newark, NJ Consumers and residents affected by Superstorm Sandy are being warned by state attorneys general, business and consumer groups and the Justice Department to be aware of consumer fraud scams. Today, Part 2 of our continuing series on Superstorm Sandy Scams focuses on home repair fraud and flood damaged car repair plans and sales.
November 6, 2012. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Superstorm Sandy Spawns Superstorm Charity Scams ]
Newark, NJ As if the massive destruction left by Superstorm Sandy wasn’t enough, the devastation from the hurricane has also spawned a predictable and unfortunate rash of consumer fraud scams, chief among them is the bogus charity con.
October 23, 2012. By Abi Kistler.
Read [ Family of Teenager Killed by Energy Drink Files Suit ]
Lancaster, CA (Press Release) – Fourteen-year-old Anais Fournier was at home watching a movie when she suffered a heart attack last December. Doctors put Anais in an induced coma to reduce her brain swelling, but to no avail. She lived for six more days and then her family made the heartbreaking decision to remove her from life support. According to the autopsy, the cause of death was caffeine toxicity from an “energy drink.”
October 22, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ JPMorgan Faces Securities Lawsuit ]
New York, NY The New York attorney general has filed a securities lawsuit against JPMorgan Chase & Co. alleging securities fraud on the part of Bear Stearns before Bear Stearns was sold to JP Morgan. JPMorgan has said it will fight the securities fraud litigation.
- Stockbroker Arbitration Leads to $1.3 Million Judgment Against Merrill Lynch By Heidi Turner (Oct-20-12)
- LawyersandSettlements.com Reports 70 Percent Spike in Mortgage Claims By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-12)
- Home Warranty Companies Accused of Shady Tactics By Heidi Turner (Sep-21-12)
- Investment Fraud Scheme Not Quite Put to Bed Yet By Gordon Gibb (Sep-18-12)
- Court: Blue Cross Violated ERISA By Heidi Turner (Sep-16-12)
- Yet Another Unum Lawsuit Seeks Damages, Back Payments By Gordon Gibb (Sep-14-12)
- Allegations of Stockbroker Fraud in Colorado By Heidi Turner (Aug-20-12)
- Pfizer to Pay $60 Million To Settle US Charges of Bribing Doctors Abroad By Gordon Gibb (Aug-8-12)
- Health Care Giant Accused of Unnecessary Procedures By Gordon Gibb (Aug-7-12)
- “I’m Fighting This ER Bill All the Way” Says ER Overcharges Victim By Jane Mundy (Jul-2-12)
- GSK to Pay $3 Billion to Settle Criminal Charges on Avandia, Paxil and Wellbutrin By Lucy Campbell (Jul-2-12)
- Experts Warn About Toning Shoes Injuries By Heidi Turner (May-5-12)
- Concerns Raised about Toning Shoes By Heidi Turner (Apr-29-12)
- Citizens Bank Settles Overdraft Fee Class Action Lawsuit for $137.5M By Abi Kistler (Apr-25-12)
- Home Warranty Lawsuits Allege Bad Faith by Companies By Heidi Turner (Apr-20-12)
- Toning Shoes Lawsuits Filed By Heidi Turner (Mar-30-12)
- The Money Pit Lives in Englewood Says Home Warranty Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-8-12)
- New York Involved in Home Warranty Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Feb-21-12)
- Natural Remedy Fraud: Take Lipozene with a Grain of Salt By Jane Mundy (Feb-7-12)
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuits Filed against Home Warranty Companies By Heidi Turner (Feb-1-12)
- Doctors Note Homeopathic Remedies "Seldom Effective" By Charles Benson (Jan-25-12)
- Did JPMorgan Chase Have Anything to Do with Your Foreclosure Case? By Brenda Craig (Jan-20-12)
- FDA Issues Warning about Certain Homeopathic Remedies By Heidi Turner (Jan-17-12)
- A New Year, a New Twist on Stock Broker Fraud By Gordon Gibb (Jan-11-12)
- Hope or Hype? The Scourge of Homeopathic Fraud By Gordon Gibb (Jan-10-12)
- Attorney Discusses Homeopathic Remedies Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Dec-30-11)
- Ex-UBS Trader Changes Legal Teams for REIT Fraud Case By Charles Benson (Dec-22-11)
- Supreme Court Ruling Affects Stockbroker Arbitration By Heidi Turner (Nov-16-11)
- Higher Cancer Rates Found in Patients who Received Medtronic BMP-2 By Lucy Campbell (Oct-26-11)
- Another Bank Overdraft Fees Lawsuit Filed By Heidi Turner (Oct-25-11)
- Consumer Advocate Groups Lament Excessive Bank Overdraft Fees By Charles Benson (Sep-27-11)
- Banks Face Customers Angry About Overdraft Fees By Heidi Turner (Sep-20-11)
- Judge in Bank Overdraft Fees Case Rules in Favor of Plaintiffs By Heidi Turner (Sep-15-11)
- DuPont Pulls Imprelis By Lucy Campbell (Aug-8-11)
- Medical Journal Blasts Medtronic Infuse Bone Graft Data over Alleged Bias By Lucy Campbell (Jul-1-11)
- Class Action Contends Author's Story Untrue By Brenda Craig (May-31-11)
- Attorney Discusses Limits on Class Actions By Jane Mundy (May-5-11)
- California Launches Investigation Into MetLife Death Payment Practices By Lucy Campbell (Apr-27-11)
- UBS Fined for Lehman Brothers Principal Protected Notes By Heidi Turner (Apr-12-11)
- UBS Lined Its Pockets While Hanging Investors Out to Dry: Allegation By Gordon Gibb (Apr-5-11)