Legal News Articles - Consumer Fraud
August 25, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ With Home Warranties, Getting to Home Base Not Necessarily a Home Run ]
Tallahassee, FL Just as there are various issues that can arise from the construction and habitation of a home, so too is the variation in warranties assigned to a home in order to guarantee that the home is habitable and free from workmanship defects. Various home warranty companies either underwrite new home warranties or offer to the homeowner an extended warranty that pushes coverage beyond a contractor’s standard new home warranty.
August 15, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Changes to California Insurance Don’t Help ]
Fresno, CA A California woman whose life has been described as “a living hell” blames the insurance underwriter, in association with her former employer, for leaving her high and dry with denied disability insurance for the past eight years. Injured on the job in 2003, she was only paid benefits for two years. In spite of substantial evidence as to the woman’s disability, the insurer stopped payments, resulting in job loss and homelessness.
August 11, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ New York State Cracks Down on Illegal Internet Payday Loans ]
Albany, NY Payday lending is already illegal in New York State, as it is in more than a dozen other states in the US. But that hasn’t stopped a myriad of Internet payday lenders from attempting to circumvent state laws by plying their trade online. What online payday lenders may not realize, or perhaps don’t care to know, is that Internet payday loans are just as illegal as making a payday loan in person, in the State of New York.
August 8, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Senate Focuses on Energy Drink Deaths ]
Washington, DC The US Senate has held a hearing into energy drink deaths and hospitalizations, questioning the makers of energy drinks, including Monster Energy drink, about the safety of their products. Although the companies stand behind their product, saying they put consumer safety first, concerns have been raised that the energy drinks are being marketed to children and teens, who could be more susceptible to adverse events from the increased caffeine levels.
July 29, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Internet Payday Loan Companies Accused of Hiding behind Immunity ]
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN In the continuing crackdown against high interest Internet payday loans and predatory lending, the State of Minnesota is challenging the growing practice by lenders of hiding behind cloaks of immunity available through sovereign communities in an effort to get around State laws that govern interest rates and other financial terms.
July 27, 2013. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Healthy Life Chemistry dietary supplement warning ]
Washington, DC The FDA on July 26 warned the public not to consume the dietary supplement B-50 Healthy Life Chemistry. The manufacturer, Purity First, has marketed the product as a vitamin B dietary supplement. However, a preliminary laboratory analysis conducted by the FDA determined the product contains methasterone, a controlled substance, and dimethazine. Both are two potentially harmful anabolic steroids not listed in the label and definitely not to be included in a dietary supplement.
July 26, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Study Suggests Monster Energy Drinks Linked to Heart Changes ]
New Orleans, LA A 2013 study presented to the American Heart Association suggests that Monster Energy drinks may be linked to an increase in blood pressure and changes in the heart’s rhythm. Lawsuits have been filed against Monster Beverage Corp, alleging people have died after drinking the highly caffeinated beverages.
July 20, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ The “Monster” That Lurks Within Can Allegedly Be Deadly ]
Oakland, CA Alex Morris was 19. An active young man, and part of a growing group of adolescents and young adults who have come to depend and perhaps thrive on the popular energy drinks that are sweeping the nation. At least for a time. Morris, according to Postmedia (6/26/13), would habitually drink two Monster Energy Drinks each day, a habit he reportedly maintained for three years. And then, on July 1 of last year, Morris died. Was it Monster caffeine levels that did him in?
July 19, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Virginia Files Internet Payday Loans Lawsuit ]
Richmond, VA Internet payday loan companies in Virginia have been put on notice by Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, who filed a lawsuit against one Internet payday loan company for illegal loans. With exorbitant interest rates and often operating without a proper license, online payday loan companies are raising the ire of many states and consumers, some of whom are also looking into the role banks play in allowing such companies to operate.
July 19, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Coca-Cola Vitaminwater Class Action Gets Green Light ]
New York, NY The Coca-Cola Vitaminwater consumer fraud class action lawsuit can go ahead, US Magistrate Judge Robert M. Levy has ruled. The lawsuit alleges deceptive marketing practices, specifically deceptive labeling for the soft drink, which included claims that Coke’s Vitaminwater could reduce the risk for eye disease, promote healthy joints and support "optimal immune function."
- $6 Million Settlement in California Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-16-13)
- Family Blames Monster Energy Drink on Uncle’s Death By Jane Mundy (Jul-10-13)
- A Home Warranty Insurance Story with a Twist By Gordon Gibb (Jul-3-13)
- Internet Payday Loan Companies Under Fire for Unethical Practices By Heidi Turner (Jun-30-13)
- Death of Teenager Prompts Second California Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Monster Beverage Corporation By LAS Staff Writer (Jun-26-13)
- Chrysler Agrees to Recall 2.7 Million Jeeps By Lucy Campbell (Jun-18-13)
- The Internet Payday Loan: Interest As High As 1,369 Percent By Gordon Gibb (Jun-16-13)
- California Insurance Claim Denied, Stiffed Senior Seeks Help By Gordon Gibb (Jun-7-13)
- Officials Investigate Banks’ Role in Internet Payday Lending By Heidi Turner (May-30-13)
- Monster Energy Drinks Plaintiff Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (May-28-13)
- CIGNA to Settle Lawsuit Brought by California and Other States By Heidi Turner (May-26-13)
- Appeals Court Finds for Plaintiff in Denied Disability Insurance Claim By Gordon Gibb (May-15-13)
- Chula Vista Settles Class Action Lawsuit for Local Wireless Phone Tax with Refund to Taxpayers and Rate Reduction By LAS Staff Writer (May-3-13)
- Ladders Job Site a “Scam,” Say Subscribers By Brenda Craig (Apr-21-13)
- California Issues Insurance Directive on Discrimination By Heidi Turner (Apr-17-13)
- Did Merck Know About Fosamax Fracture Risk? By Lucy Campbell (Apr-10-13)
- A Tale of Two Home Warranty Insurance Claims By Gordon Gibb (Apr-9-13)
- Force Would Not Accommodate Veteran Police Officer, Denied By Gordon Gibb (Apr-7-13)
- California Real Estate Fees May Have Involved Illegal Kickbacks By Heidi Turner (Mar-23-13)
- Company Investigated for Alleged Car Dealer Kickbacks Re-inventing By Gordon Gibb (Mar-18-13)
- Fee Free-For-All: California Real Estate Transactions Not Always As They Appear By Gordon Gibb (Mar-13-13)
- Denied Disability Insurance: A Tale of Two Extremes By Gordon Gibb (Mar-6-13)
- SeaWorld Alleged to Be Fishing for Zip Code Info By Brenda Craig (Feb-28-13)
- Illegal California Real Estate Fees Costing Consumers By Heidi Turner (Feb-25-13)
- Attorney Investigating Online Car Referrer By Heidi Turner (Feb-20-13)
- When Home Warranties Go Wrong By Heidi Turner (Feb-17-13)
- S&P Faces Federal Lawsuit over 2008 Financial Crisis By Lucy Campbell (Feb-11-13)
- Reality Check: Illegal California Real Estate Fees By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-13)
- Washington Supreme Court Issues Far-Reaching Unanimous Opinion Protecting Consumers’ Right to Sue in Court By LAS Staff Writer (Feb-10-13)
- Online Car Referral Bait and Switch: Old Tricks, New Technology By Gordon Gibb (Feb-10-13)
- Will an Appeal Secure California Insurance Claim Help for Couple? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-9-13)
- No Shell Game Settlements for Attorney Patrick Perotti By Brenda Craig (Feb-4-13)
- How Do Online Car Dealer Kickbacks Work? By Heidi Turner (Jan-29-13)
- Kicking the Tires Shouldn’t Result in Car Dealer Kickbacks By Gordon Gibb (Jan-19-13)
- California Car Kickbacks Alleged By Heidi Turner (Jan-9-13)
- Home Warranty Lawsuits: Not All Appliances Created Equal By Heidi Turner (Jan-8-13)
- Settlement Reached that Doctors Over-treated and Over-billed By Jane Mundy (Jan-6-13)
- Credit Card Abuse Comes in All Shapes and Sizes By Gordon Gibb (Jan-1-13)
- Consumers Unhappy with Home Warranty Companies By Heidi Turner (Dec-10-12)
- California Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuit Filed By Heidi Turner (Nov-30-12)