Legal News Articles - Consumer Fraud
September 13, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Internet Payday Loan Companies Under Attack by Regulators ]
Baltimore, MD Concerned about high interest rates, astronomical fees and predatory practices, some states are cracking down on Internet payday loan companies. Not only are the online payday loan companies under scrutiny, but some of the banks that may aid the online lenders in doing business are also facing questions about their policies. At the root is whether these online loan companies are operating illegally in certain states, and whether some banks are responsible for helping them to do so.
September 11, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ California Insurance Regulations Mean Lawsuits Can Be Filed, Depending on the Circumstances ]
Anaheim, CA Having a California insurance claim denied can be frustrating enough, but for people who do not understand how insurance rules and regulations work, a denied disability claim can be just the start of the frustrations. That is because there are various rules and regulations that govern when a person can file a denied disability insurance lawsuit and when an appeal must be filed, first. Not understanding the situation can be the difference between getting some money back and being left high and dry.
September 8, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Monster Caffeine Levels: When Too Much Energy Isn’t Good for You ]
McKinney, TX Of the Monster drink contents in a typical Monster energy drink, caffeine has taken center stage. And with good reason, since all Monster drinks contain more caffeine than what is allowed for soda, and some contain more than that found in coffee.
September 4, 2013. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Swedish Medical Centers Face ER Overcharging Class-Action Lawsuit ]
Seattle, WA Swedish Health Services (SHS) is facing an emergency room overcharges class action lawsuit brought Plaintiff Chad Humphrey who alleges he was grossly and unfairly charged for emergency room medical care at a Swedish Medical Center (SMC).
August 31, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ More Experts Speak Out against Energy Drinks ]
Newark, NJ More experts are speaking out against energy drinks, especially when they are used by children and adolescents. Despite being asked at a senate hearing on energy drinks to not market the drinks to anyone under the age of 16, because of a reported risk of energy drink hospitalization or death, energy drink makers have only said that they would not market to those under the age of 12.
August 30, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Are Monster Caffeine Levels Akin to a Jekyll-and-Hyde Personality? ]
Corona, CA Everyone agrees that alleged Monster Energy Drink Deaths and Hospitalizations is no laughing matter. And yet, while the two sides in the debate continue to polarize opinion on the safety of energy drinks, Monster Beverage Corp. includes in its line of products “Anti-Gravity Extra Strength,” which is a Monster drink fused with nitrous oxide to provide, according to a Monster website, “a unique texture, smooth drinkable flavor and buzz that’s bigger than ever.”
August 27, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Regulators Looking at Banks’ Roles in Internet Payday Loans ]
New York, NY When it comes to fighting Internet payday loans such as those offered by companies such as SpotLoan and Plain Green Loans, the obvious organization to fight is the one offering the online payday loans. But some regulators are looking at the banks as a means to cut off illegal Internet loans, especially in states such as Arizona, California and New York, where Internet payday loans or offering the loans without a proper license are illegal.
August 25, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ With Home Warranties, Getting to Home Base Not Necessarily a Home Run ]
Tallahassee, FL Just as there are various issues that can arise from the construction and habitation of a home, so too is the variation in warranties assigned to a home in order to guarantee that the home is habitable and free from workmanship defects. Various home warranty companies either underwrite new home warranties or offer to the homeowner an extended warranty that pushes coverage beyond a contractor’s standard new home warranty.
August 15, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Changes to California Insurance Don’t Help ]
Fresno, CA A California woman whose life has been described as “a living hell” blames the insurance underwriter, in association with her former employer, for leaving her high and dry with denied disability insurance for the past eight years. Injured on the job in 2003, she was only paid benefits for two years. In spite of substantial evidence as to the woman’s disability, the insurer stopped payments, resulting in job loss and homelessness.
August 11, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ New York State Cracks Down on Illegal Internet Payday Loans ]
Albany, NY Payday lending is already illegal in New York State, as it is in more than a dozen other states in the US. But that hasn’t stopped a myriad of Internet payday lenders from attempting to circumvent state laws by plying their trade online. What online payday lenders may not realize, or perhaps don’t care to know, is that Internet payday loans are just as illegal as making a payday loan in person, in the State of New York.
- Senate Focuses on Energy Drink Deaths By Heidi Turner (Aug-8-13)
- Internet Payday Loan Companies Accused of Hiding behind Immunity By Gordon Gibb (Jul-29-13)
- Healthy Life Chemistry dietary supplement warning By Jane Mundy (Jul-27-13)
- Study Suggests Monster Energy Drinks Linked to Heart Changes By Heidi Turner (Jul-26-13)
- The “Monster” That Lurks Within Can Allegedly Be Deadly By Gordon Gibb (Jul-20-13)
- Virginia Files Internet Payday Loans Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-19-13)
- Coca-Cola Vitaminwater Class Action Gets Green Light By Lucy Campbell (Jul-19-13)
- $6 Million Settlement in California Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-16-13)
- Family Blames Monster Energy Drink on Uncle’s Death By Jane Mundy (Jul-10-13)
- A Home Warranty Insurance Story with a Twist By Gordon Gibb (Jul-3-13)
- Internet Payday Loan Companies Under Fire for Unethical Practices By Heidi Turner (Jun-30-13)
- Death of Teenager Prompts Second California Wrongful Death Lawsuit Against Monster Beverage Corporation By LAS Staff Writer (Jun-26-13)
- Chrysler Agrees to Recall 2.7 Million Jeeps By Lucy Campbell (Jun-18-13)
- The Internet Payday Loan: Interest As High As 1,369 Percent By Gordon Gibb (Jun-16-13)
- California Insurance Claim Denied, Stiffed Senior Seeks Help By Gordon Gibb (Jun-7-13)
- Officials Investigate Banks’ Role in Internet Payday Lending By Heidi Turner (May-30-13)
- Monster Energy Drinks Plaintiff Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (May-28-13)
- CIGNA to Settle Lawsuit Brought by California and Other States By Heidi Turner (May-26-13)
- Appeals Court Finds for Plaintiff in Denied Disability Insurance Claim By Gordon Gibb (May-15-13)
- Chula Vista Settles Class Action Lawsuit for Local Wireless Phone Tax with Refund to Taxpayers and Rate Reduction By LAS Staff Writer (May-3-13)
- Ladders Job Site a “Scam,” Say Subscribers By Brenda Craig (Apr-21-13)
- California Issues Insurance Directive on Discrimination By Heidi Turner (Apr-17-13)
- Did Merck Know About Fosamax Fracture Risk? By Lucy Campbell (Apr-10-13)
- A Tale of Two Home Warranty Insurance Claims By Gordon Gibb (Apr-9-13)
- Force Would Not Accommodate Veteran Police Officer, Denied By Gordon Gibb (Apr-7-13)
- California Real Estate Fees May Have Involved Illegal Kickbacks By Heidi Turner (Mar-23-13)
- Company Investigated for Alleged Car Dealer Kickbacks Re-inventing By Gordon Gibb (Mar-18-13)
- Fee Free-For-All: California Real Estate Transactions Not Always As They Appear By Gordon Gibb (Mar-13-13)
- Denied Disability Insurance: A Tale of Two Extremes By Gordon Gibb (Mar-6-13)
- SeaWorld Alleged to Be Fishing for Zip Code Info By Brenda Craig (Feb-28-13)
- Illegal California Real Estate Fees Costing Consumers By Heidi Turner (Feb-25-13)
- Attorney Investigating Online Car Referrer By Heidi Turner (Feb-20-13)
- When Home Warranties Go Wrong By Heidi Turner (Feb-17-13)
- S&P Faces Federal Lawsuit over 2008 Financial Crisis By Lucy Campbell (Feb-11-13)
- Reality Check: Illegal California Real Estate Fees By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-13)
- Washington Supreme Court Issues Far-Reaching Unanimous Opinion Protecting Consumers’ Right to Sue in Court By LAS Staff Writer (Feb-10-13)
- Online Car Referral Bait and Switch: Old Tricks, New Technology By Gordon Gibb (Feb-10-13)
- Will an Appeal Secure California Insurance Claim Help for Couple? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-9-13)
- No Shell Game Settlements for Attorney Patrick Perotti By Brenda Craig (Feb-4-13)
- How Do Online Car Dealer Kickbacks Work? By Heidi Turner (Jan-29-13)