Legal News Articles - Consumer Fraud
February 26, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Outrageous Emergency Room Overcharges for Uninsured ]
Ocala, FL When John asked the Munroe Regional Medical Center billing department why his emergency room overcharges and other hospital charges were 10 times more than the going rate, he was told it is because he is uninsured!
“They have a contract based on rates with the insurance company and I don’t have a contract with them so they can bill me whatever they want,” says John.
February 20, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Energy Drink Lawsuit Filed After Consumer’s Death ]
Kansas City, MO Another energy drink lawsuit has been filed following the death of a consumer who drank numerous energy drinks in the days leading up to his death. The lawsuit, filed by the man’s wife, alleges energy drinks are falsely marketed as safe when in fact they are dangerous. According to some reports, the FDA has received numerous reports of deaths linked to certain energy drinks.
February 18, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Herbal Supplements Under Attack from Regulators and Consumers ]
Washington, DC If you take any pill, you’re supposed to know what’s in that pill. That’s the basis for regulations concerning pharmaceuticals. But when it comes to herbal supplements, the rules are more relaxed, and it turns out that some herbal supplements may have been sold without the ingredients their labels claimed they contained. Now, some herbal supplement makers have received warning letters from New York’s Attorney General - and lawsuits from consumers angry that the herbal supplements they thought they were purchasing might not have been all they were cracked up to be, with ingredient labels not telling the full story of what the herbal supplements contained.
February 17, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Persistence Pays Off for Chapel Hill Extended Warranty Plaintiffs ]
Chapel Hill, NC A couple from Chapel Hill who brought a Home Warranty Lawsuit against the contractor and a supplier of their custom-built home encountered a few setbacks in their litigation. But they stuck with it and late last year were rewarded with a partial victory by the North Carolina Supreme Court.
February 5, 2015. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Major Retailers Asked To Stop Sales Of Store Brand Herbal Supplements ]
Los Angeles, CA Four major retailers, GNC, Target, Walmart, and Walgreens, received letters earlier this week from Attorney General Eric T. Schneiderman’s office regarding the alleged selling of store brand herbal supplement products in New York that either could not be verified to contain the labeled substance, or were found to contain ingredients not listed on the labels.
February 4, 2015. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ $11M Awarded in Toyota Camry Sudden Unintended Acceleration Lawsuit ]
Los Angeles, CA An $11 million verdict has been awarded to the plaintiffs in a Toyota sudden acceleration personal injury lawsuit resulting from a defect in a 1996 Camry. The jury ruled that the defect contributed to an accident which left three people dead and two seriously injured.
February 3, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ The Fight to Have Mental Illness Properly Covered by Insurance ]
Los Angeles, CA As patients with physical ailments fight to have their denied disability claims overturned, patients with mental illness also fight to receive proper treatment from insurance companies. Recent news reports and denied disability lawsuits allege some insurers in the US routinely discriminate against patients with mental illness, denying them medically necessary - and legally mandated - care.
January 25, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ ER Overcharges: Better to Seek Treatment Elsewhere ]
Washington, DC Next time you consider going to an emergency room for a non-life-threatening issue, you might save thousands of dollars in emergency room overcharges by checking into an urgent care center instead. Even costlier than hospital ERs are free-standing Emergency Room Clinics. You could potentially save even more by flying first class to Europe, where treatment is typically a fraction of the cost than it is in the US.
January 21, 2015. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Generic Fosamax Injury Lawsuit to Proceed ]
Los Angeles, CA Teva Pharmaceuticals has been denied a hearing of its appeal against a lawsuit that claims the company failed to warn of the health risks linked to generic versions of the osteoporosis drug Fosamax. The appeal stems from a lawsuit brought by Olga Pikerie, who claims her fractured thighbone resulted from her prolonged use of generic Fosamax. Pikerie alleged that Teva and other generic makers hadn't brought their warnings in line with an update of the branded Fosamax's label.
January 10, 2015. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ The Case against Monster Beverage Powers Up ]
Lancaster, CA Attorney Jacob Karczewski is gearing up for trial in April 2015. That’s when his clients, the family of Alex Morris, will get their day in Alameda County Court, California, and the American public may learn more about the safety of those very popular energy drinks.
- Emergency Room Charges: A Popsicle, Exam & Quick Fix for $10,000 By Gordon Gibb (Jan-7-15)
- Pregnant Woman’s Insurance Denial a Lesson By Heidi Turner (Jan-1-15)
- ER Overcharges Bill Warrants Heart Attack By Jane Mundy (Dec-28-14)
- $16.5M Award Against Dating Site that Disseminated Personal Profiles By The National Trial Lawyers (Dec-18-14)
- Viagra Blamed for Skin Cancer Diagnosis By Lucy Campbell (Dec-15-14)
- Patients Allege Excessive Fees Linked to ER Care By Heidi Turner (Dec-13-14)
- Half of All US Workers Are Women: All Eyes on Supreme Court Interpretation By Gordon Gibb (Dec-9-14)
- Firefighter Granted Benefits After Denied Disability Claim By Heidi Turner (Dec-3-14)
- Students Charge Donald Trump with Racketeering in “University” Scheme By The National Trial Lawyers (Nov-27-14)
- Home Warranty Insurance and the Manufactured Home By Gordon Gibb (Nov-23-14)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney: Overcharging Uninsured “Almost a National Scandal” By Heidi Turner (Nov-23-14)
- NHTSA Wants National Recall of Vehicles with Defective Takata Airbags By Lucy Campbell (Nov-19-14)
- Washington Insurer to Cover Developmental Disabilities By Heidi Turner (Nov-9-14)
- Home Warranty Complaints Top Popular Online Resource By Gordon Gibb (Oct-28-14)
- Proposed Florida Class-Action ER Charges Lawsuit Expands By Gordon Gibb (Oct-27-14)
- Respected Non-Profit Reports Problems with Internet Payday Loans: Survey By Gordon Gibb (Oct-18-14)
- Forced Arbitration: Corporations Opting Out of Justice and Fairness By Gordon Gibb (Oct-17-14)
- More Than One Way to Skin a Cat Over Washington LTD Benefits By Gordon Gibb (Oct-11-14)
- Chrysler Air Bag and Steering Wobble Recalls By Lucy Campbell (Oct-10-14)
- Attorney: Hospital ER Overcharges “Unfair” By Heidi Turner (Oct-8-14)
- Predatory ER Overcharges and Hospital Overbilling Has to Stop By Gordon Gibb (Oct-3-14)
- What You Should Know About Denied Disability: Washington Disability Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Sep-30-14)
- New Jersey Sues Home Warranty Insurance Provider By Gordon Gibb (Sep-19-14)
- Internet Payday Lender Group Sues, Regulators Promptly Fight Back By Gordon Gibb (Sep-15-14)
- Judd Law Group LLP announces New Litigation Settlements between Public Interest Alliance (PIA) and Cosmetics Manufacturers By LAS Staff Writer (Sep-4-14)
- $9 Billion Actos Bladder Cancer Verdict to Stand By Lucy Campbell (Aug-29-14)
- Anthem Blue Cross Faces Another California Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Aug-28-14)
- $4.3 million dollar class action verdict in campground membership case By LAS Staff Writer (Aug-26-14)
- Plaintiff’s Home Warranty Insurance Win Overturned by State Supreme Court By Gordon Gibb (Aug-24-14)
- Crackdown on Illegal Internet Payday Loans Nets Help for Consumers By Gordon Gibb (Aug-4-14)
- Is Your Internet Payday Loan Provider Legal Where You Live? By Gordon Gibb (Jul-11-14)
- Most Denied Disability Insurance Claimants Win, but Not All Do By Gordon Gibb (Jun-30-14)
- Hillside Home Appears to Be Sloping Downward, Owners Sue Contractor, Insurer By Gordon Gibb (Jun-29-14)
- Internet Payday Lender May Owe As Much As $20 Million to Consumers By Gordon Gibb (Jun-15-14)
- Following Suit: Overdraft Fees Lawsuit Update By Heidi Turner (Jun-3-14)
- New Jersey Court Grants Class Certification And Clears Suit For Trial In Consumer Fraud Act Case Against For-Profit School Star By LAS Staff Writer (May-29-14)
- GM Issues Another Recall for 5 Different Defects in 2,7 Million Vehicles By Lucy Campbell (May-15-14)
- Credit and Debit Card Companies Aiding the Fight against Predatory Internet Pay Loans By Gordon Gibb (May-14-14)
- California Denied Insurance: Appeals Frequently Successful By Heidi Turner (May-13-14)
- Endo Reaches $830m Transvaginal Mesh Injury Settlement By Lucy Campbell (May-1-14)