Legal News Articles - Consumer Fraud
January 25, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ ER Overcharges: Better to Seek Treatment Elsewhere ]
Washington, DC Next time you consider going to an emergency room for a non-life-threatening issue, you might save thousands of dollars in emergency room overcharges by checking into an urgent care center instead. Even costlier than hospital ERs are free-standing Emergency Room Clinics. You could potentially save even more by flying first class to Europe, where treatment is typically a fraction of the cost than it is in the US.
January 21, 2015. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Generic Fosamax Injury Lawsuit to Proceed ]
Los Angeles, CA Teva Pharmaceuticals has been denied a hearing of its appeal against a lawsuit that claims the company failed to warn of the health risks linked to generic versions of the osteoporosis drug Fosamax. The appeal stems from a lawsuit brought by Olga Pikerie, who claims her fractured thighbone resulted from her prolonged use of generic Fosamax. Pikerie alleged that Teva and other generic makers hadn't brought their warnings in line with an update of the branded Fosamax's label.
January 10, 2015. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ The Case against Monster Beverage Powers Up ]
Lancaster, CA Attorney Jacob Karczewski is gearing up for trial in April 2015. That’s when his clients, the family of Alex Morris, will get their day in Alameda County Court, California, and the American public may learn more about the safety of those very popular energy drinks.
January 7, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Emergency Room Charges: A Popsicle, Exam & Quick Fix for $10,000 ]
Houston, TX Excessive emergency room charges are not restricted to the emergency rooms you find in actual hospital facilities. In the state of Texas, for example, you can find a collection of free-standing emergency rooms that offer excellent care with expert medical staff and top-notch equipment. There is no disputing the expertise.
January 1, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Pregnant Woman’s Insurance Denial a Lesson ]
Maui, HI The tale of a Canadian woman who gave birth in Hawaii and had her insurance claim denied is a cautionary tale for all insurance policyholders. Despite the woman and her husband thinking they were following the rules and properly covered, they reportedly wound up with a bill of $950,000, a bill their insurance company - Blue Cross - has so far refused to pick up. The family was finally able to return home with their newborn daughter, but the costs associated with having their insurance claim denied have followed them.
December 28, 2014. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ ER Overcharges Bill Warrants Heart Attack ]
Seattle, WA If you or a loved one find yourself in an emergency room, be careful about describing your symptoms: you might wind up facing unwarranted emergency room overcharges like Patrick and his wife recently did.
December 18, 2014. By The National Trial Lawyers.
A Santa Clara County, CA, issued a verdict of $16.5 million against an online dating website service for disseminating registered members’ private information to thousands of websites through a database containing their profile information.Read [ $16.5M Award Against Dating Site that Disseminated Personal Profiles ]
December 15, 2014. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ Viagra Blamed for Skin Cancer Diagnosis ]
Los Angeles, CA Allegations of failure to warn of the risk for melanoma allegedly associated with the erectile dysfunction drug Viagra, have been made in a product liability lawsuit filed against the drug’s maker, Pfizer.
December 13, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Patients Allege Excessive Fees Linked to ER Care ]
Dallas, TX Going to a hospital or other emergency care center is stressful enough without having to worry about the financial costs associated with seeking such medical care. Being released from the hospital or care center can relieve one’s stress, until the hospital bills arrive and patients see the amount they’re told to pay for emergency room charges. These emergency room costs can add up to thousands of dollars for even a short visit, and worse, patients often are not warned about the costs prior to accepting medical help.
December 9, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Half of All US Workers Are Women: All Eyes on Supreme Court Interpretation ]
Washington, DC Along with Washington Wrongly Denied Disability Claims, is the issue that some women are still having with their employers in terms of reasonable accommodations when they become pregnant. Were a pregnancy to become complicated, requiring additional time off work with short-term and even long-term disability benefits, it behooves an employer and its insurer to accommodate a valued employee.
- Firefighter Granted Benefits After Denied Disability Claim By Heidi Turner (Dec-3-14)
- Students Charge Donald Trump with Racketeering in “University” Scheme By The National Trial Lawyers (Nov-27-14)
- Home Warranty Insurance and the Manufactured Home By Gordon Gibb (Nov-23-14)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney: Overcharging Uninsured “Almost a National Scandal” By Heidi Turner (Nov-23-14)
- NHTSA Wants National Recall of Vehicles with Defective Takata Airbags By Lucy Campbell (Nov-19-14)
- Washington Insurer to Cover Developmental Disabilities By Heidi Turner (Nov-9-14)
- Home Warranty Complaints Top Popular Online Resource By Gordon Gibb (Oct-28-14)
- Proposed Florida Class-Action ER Charges Lawsuit Expands By Gordon Gibb (Oct-27-14)
- Respected Non-Profit Reports Problems with Internet Payday Loans: Survey By Gordon Gibb (Oct-18-14)
- Forced Arbitration: Corporations Opting Out of Justice and Fairness By Gordon Gibb (Oct-17-14)
- More Than One Way to Skin a Cat Over Washington LTD Benefits By Gordon Gibb (Oct-11-14)
- Chrysler Air Bag and Steering Wobble Recalls By Lucy Campbell (Oct-10-14)
- Attorney: Hospital ER Overcharges “Unfair” By Heidi Turner (Oct-8-14)
- Predatory ER Overcharges and Hospital Overbilling Has to Stop By Gordon Gibb (Oct-3-14)
- What You Should Know About Denied Disability: Washington Disability Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Sep-30-14)
- New Jersey Sues Home Warranty Insurance Provider By Gordon Gibb (Sep-19-14)
- Internet Payday Lender Group Sues, Regulators Promptly Fight Back By Gordon Gibb (Sep-15-14)
- Judd Law Group LLP announces New Litigation Settlements between Public Interest Alliance (PIA) and Cosmetics Manufacturers By LAS Staff Writer (Sep-4-14)
- $9 Billion Actos Bladder Cancer Verdict to Stand By Lucy Campbell (Aug-29-14)
- Anthem Blue Cross Faces Another California Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Aug-28-14)
- $4.3 million dollar class action verdict in campground membership case By LAS Staff Writer (Aug-26-14)
- Plaintiff’s Home Warranty Insurance Win Overturned by State Supreme Court By Gordon Gibb (Aug-24-14)
- Crackdown on Illegal Internet Payday Loans Nets Help for Consumers By Gordon Gibb (Aug-4-14)
- Is Your Internet Payday Loan Provider Legal Where You Live? By Gordon Gibb (Jul-11-14)
- Most Denied Disability Insurance Claimants Win, but Not All Do By Gordon Gibb (Jun-30-14)
- Hillside Home Appears to Be Sloping Downward, Owners Sue Contractor, Insurer By Gordon Gibb (Jun-29-14)
- Internet Payday Lender May Owe As Much As $20 Million to Consumers By Gordon Gibb (Jun-15-14)
- Following Suit: Overdraft Fees Lawsuit Update By Heidi Turner (Jun-3-14)
- New Jersey Court Grants Class Certification And Clears Suit For Trial In Consumer Fraud Act Case Against For-Profit School Star By LAS Staff Writer (May-29-14)
- GM Issues Another Recall for 5 Different Defects in 2,7 Million Vehicles By Lucy Campbell (May-15-14)
- Credit and Debit Card Companies Aiding the Fight against Predatory Internet Pay Loans By Gordon Gibb (May-14-14)
- California Denied Insurance: Appeals Frequently Successful By Heidi Turner (May-13-14)
- Endo Reaches $830m Transvaginal Mesh Injury Settlement By Lucy Campbell (May-1-14)
- Teacher with Debilitating Injuries Twice Denied Disability Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Apr-30-14)
- Internet Payday Lender Accused of Charging Minnesotans Predatory Interest Rates By Gordon Gibb (Apr-25-14)
- Judge Finds Insurer Guilty of Bad Faith By Heidi Turner (Apr-20-14)
- Following Suit: Student Loan Lawsuit Update By Heidi Turner (Apr-10-14)
- “I’d Rather Pay an Attorney Than the Hospital for ER Overcharges” By Jane Mundy (Apr-3-14)
- Customer Says She Unknowingly Paid for Home Warranty Insurance By Heidi Turner (Apr-1-14)
- GM Issues Third Massive Recall for Alleged Defective Power Steering By Lucy Campbell (Apr-1-14)