Legal News Articles - Consumer Fraud
August 15, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Customers File Lumber Liquidators Lawsuits Alleging Excess Formaldehyde ]
Toano, VA The number of Lumber Liquidators lawsuits consolidated for pretrial proceedings has jumped in a month to 135, according to court documents. Lumber Liquidators lawsuits allege homeowners who put certain laminate flooring in their home are exposed to unreasonably high levels of formaldehyde, putting them at risk of health problems and lowering their home’s value.
August 14, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ ER Charge for Splinter Removal: Cha-Ching! ]
Jackson, MS Kenny was prepared to pay emergency room overcharges to get a splinter of glass removed from his foot but he wasn’t expecting a $2,000 emergency room bill for a five-minute procedure.
August 6, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Monster Drink Contents Wrongful Death Lawsuit Goes to Trial ]
Los Angeles, CA As the latest Monster Energy Drink Deaths and Hospitalizations trial is about to get underway, it is perhaps an appropriate time to revisit the life and the subsequent death of the young girl behind the headlines.
August 5, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Court Affirms Overdraft Fees Class Action ]
Evansville, IN The Indiana Supreme Court has affirmed a lower court's decision granting class-action status to an excessive overdraft fees lawsuit. The Indiana Court’s decision means the trial for the excessive bank overdraft fees lawsuit against Old National Bank is still scheduled to start October 27.
July 25, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ More Evidence for Lumber Liquidators Lawsuits—Negligence ]
Seattle, WA It’s a difficult decision: You bought flooring from Lumber Liquidators and discovered it was made in China, which explains why your air test indicates it has high levels of formaldehyde. And you have toddlers crawling on the floor. Do you rip it out, dip into your savings and buy flooring from a reputable company, or do you join a Lumber Liquidators class-action lawsuit and wait for compensation?
July 23, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Lawsuit Filed against Energy Drink Maker ]
Los Angeles, CA Although the Monster Energy drink lawsuits might be the ones in the news most frequently, other energy drink makers face lawsuits of their own. Monster Energy reportedly settled two lawsuits in recent months, and faces another high-profile lawsuit in the near future. But Rockstar Beverage Corp. faces a lawsuit of its own, filed in June 2015.
July 22, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Excessive Overdraft Fees: You Can Take That to the Bank ]
Miami, FL If there’s one thing banks are awfully good at, it’s excessive bank overdraft fees. Banking fees tend to be an endless scourge on the consumer to begin with. However, pundits point to the process of incurring an overdraft and the resulting fees as the ultimate irony: an overdraft occurs when a consumer is short on cash or momentarily down on his financial luck, while the bank is eager to profit from a consumer’s misfortune.
July 20, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Unregulated Herbal Supplements Can Be Lethal ]
Washington, DC The herbal supplement industry continues to be a headache for health advocates and consumers campaigning for stricter controls and labeling for a product sector that doesn’t fall within the normal parameters and guidelines mandated by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). That’s partly because herbal supplements are considered neither a food nor a drug and have thus far escaped more intense regulation.
July 19, 2015. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Payday Loan Class Actions Could Make a Comeback ]
Washington, DC Payday lender shops that offer quick and not-many-questions-asked loans have been pretty much immune to class-action lawsuits for the last four years. However, a change may be in the wind.
July 11, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Consumers Might Want to Take Note of Overdraft Fees ]
Los Angeles, CA When it comes to complaints about excessive overdraft fees, most news has covered lawsuits filed against the big banks. In truth, any financial institution that charges overdraft fees could be improperly charging their customers for overdraft. Customers with accounts at credit unions and smaller banks should also keep an eye on their accounts, and be sure they know how much they’re charged for overdraft protection.
- CEO Lynch Out, Fortunes Continue to Fall for Lumber Liquidators By Gordon Gibb (Jul-9-15)
- ER Overcharges Case? Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-7-15)
- Medicare Fraud Whistleblower Lawsuit Settled for $17 Million By Heidi Turner (Jul-1-15)
- Overdraft Fees Lawsuits Ongoing By Heidi Turner (Jun-24-15)
- Does Your Laminate Flooring Have Too Much Formaldehyde? By Heidi Turner (Jun-17-15)
- Two Monster Energy Lawsuits Reportedly Settled By Heidi Turner (Jun-12-15)
- Study Finds Increased Risk for Heart Attack with Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) By Lucy Campbell (Jun-11-15)
- Pfizer Report Could Change Outcome of Zoloft Birth Defects Lawsuit By Lucy Campbell (Jun-9-15)
- Hospitals Raise ER Overcharges By Jane Mundy (Jun-6-15)
- Tennessee Hospital Settles Alleged Whistleblower Healthcare Fraud for $1.3 Million By Gordon Gibb (Jun-1-15)
- $23 Million Verdict Awarded in First Depakote Birth Defects Lawsuit By Lucy Campbell (May-29-15)
- More to Monster Drink Contents Than Just Caffeine By Gordon Gibb (May-21-15)
- Florida Whistleblower Healthcare Fraud Lawsuit Settles for $7.5 Million By Gordon Gibb (May-17-15)
- Changes Coming to Herbal Supplement Industry By Heidi Turner (May-16-15)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Start with Getting There By Jane Mundy (May-16-15)
- Lumber Liquidators Halts Sales of Allegedly Toxic Chinese Laminate Flooring By Lucy Campbell (May-7-15)
- From Bad to Worse for Lumber Liquidators Toxic Flooring By Gordon Gibb (May-1-15)
- Canadians Are Targets for Emergency Room Overcharges By Jane Mundy (Apr-28-15)
- In Wake of Supplements Lawsuit, GNC Agrees to Changes By Heidi Turner (Apr-17-15)
- New Class-Action Lumber Liquidators Formaldehyde Lawsuit Targets Test Kits By Gordon Gibb (Apr-17-15)
- Healthcare Fraud Whistleblowers Allege Medicaid and Medicare Out Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-12-15)
- Study Suggests Energy Drinks Dangerous for Adolescents By Heidi Turner (Apr-10-15)
- Actos Cancer Victims Could See A $2.2B Settlement By Lucy Campbell (Apr-6-15)
- Denied Disability Insurance Lawsuit Filed in Los Angeles By Heidi Turner (Apr-3-15)
- Lumber Liquidators Not Floored? By Jane Mundy (Mar-31-15)
- First Energy Drink Wrongful Death Suit Goes to Trial By Brenda Craig (Mar-26-15)
- Monster Headaches for Monster Beverage Corp: Trial Begins in April By Gordon Gibb (Mar-25-15)
- Herbal Supplements: A Massive Industry with Little Oversight By Gordon Gibb (Mar-21-15)
- Can Herbal Supplements Lawsuits Support Lack of DNA Evidence? By Jane Mundy (Mar-15-15)
- Hospital Overcharging Included $2,500 Billed for Individual Surgical Screws By Gordon Gibb (Mar-15-15)
- Lawsuits Filed Over Herbal Supplements By Heidi Turner (Mar-7-15)
- Woman Files Lawsuit Against the Makers of the Fluoroquinolone Avelox By Lucy Campbell (Mar-3-15)
- Feed Your Body with Food, Not Herbal Supplements By Jane Mundy (Mar-1-15)
- Whistleblowers Integral to the Fight against Medical and Healthcare Fraud By Gordon Gibb (Mar-1-15)
- Study Finds Children at Risk, Monster Energy Drink Trial Set for April By Gordon Gibb (Feb-27-15)
- Outrageous Emergency Room Overcharges for Uninsured By Jane Mundy (Feb-26-15)
- Energy Drink Lawsuit Filed After Consumer’s Death By Heidi Turner (Feb-20-15)
- Herbal Supplements Under Attack from Regulators and Consumers By Heidi Turner (Feb-18-15)
- Persistence Pays Off for Chapel Hill Extended Warranty Plaintiffs By Gordon Gibb (Feb-17-15)
- Major Retailers Asked To Stop Sales Of Store Brand Herbal Supplements By Lucy Campbell (Feb-5-15)