LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONConsumer Fraud
Legal News Articles - Consumer Fraud
September 12, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Class Action Upheld in Overdraft Fees Lawsuit ]
Miami, FL An overdraft fees lawsuit that had been given class-action status has had that class-action status confirmed by a Florida federal judge. The excessive overdraft fees lawsuit alleged that Wells Fargo Bank improperly reordered customer transactions to increase profits from overdraft fees. Wells Fargo is not the only financial institution accused of such actions. Various other banks and credit unions also face or have faced legal action.
September 12, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Calls for More Regulation in Wake of Energy Drink Deaths ]
Los Angeles, CA As various lawsuits alleging Monster Energy Drink Deaths and Hospitalizations continue to migrate through the legal pipeline, including a marquee trial centered on the death of teen Anais Fournier, health advocates continue to lament the lay of the land where it comes to energy drinks.
September 11, 2015. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Lawsuits Say Monster Drinks Lead to Devastating Brain Injury ]
Lancaster, CAEnergy drinks, or highly caffeinated beverages, marketed to teens and young adults as a way to get “a buzz on” have been, to say the least, controversial over the last several years.
August 27, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Energy Drink Lawsuits: Understanding Caffeine ]
Baltimore, MD As far as substances go, energy drinks seem fairly harmless to most people. Need a quick boost of energy, ingest an energy drink and get some much-needed caffeine. People turning to energy drinks might need more caffeine than what a cup of coffee or a soda would provide, but would be forgiven for thinking that the caffeine in an energy drink isn’t any more harmful than the caffeine in a cup of coffee. But energy drink lawsuits allege caffeine overdoses are deadly, and consumers aren’t warned about the risks, especially the risks to adolescents who consume the highly caffeinated beverages.
August 24, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ First Healthcare Fraud Whistleblower Lawsuit under Obamacare Settles for $6.88 Million ]
Norcross, GA When the Affordable Care Act was upheld by the US Supreme Court earlier this summer, provisions that enhance the government’s capacity to recover overpayments also includes enhanced rights and freedoms for whistleblowers to bring healthcare fraud lawsuits. In the first healthcare fraud whistleblower lawsuit of its kind under the Affordable Care Act, a provider of home nursing services to medically fragile children has agreed to a settlement worth $6.88 million.
August 22, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Credit Unions Not Immune to Charging Excessive Fees: Attorney ]
Washington, DC It should come as no surprise that in an era of low interest rates, banks pick up the slack in terms of revenue diminished by the low rate environment by focusing more on fees charged to their clients. Fees include overdraft fees, and many an Excessive Overdraft Fees Lawsuit has focused on an all-too-common practice of re-ordering overdrafts in an attempt to increase fees.
August 21, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Blue Cross Faces Hepatitis C Lawsuit ]
New York, NY Blue Cross faces another denied insurance lawsuit alleging the company has wrongfully denied insurance for an approved hepatitis C medication. The lawsuit is at least the second filed against Blue Cross related to its denial of treatment for hepatitis C.
August 20, 2015. By LAS Staff Writer.
Read [ eBay Faces Federal Racketeering (RICO) Lawsuit For Trafficking In Fake Products ]
Los Angeles, CA (August 20, 2015) (Press Release) The R. Rex Parris Law Firm has filed claims against eBay® and PayPal® and various eBay Sellers in Federal Court under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO) and the Lanham Act claiming the defendants knowingly and deliberately facilitate, proliferate and profit from the ongoing sale of counterfeit and fake products on ebay.com.
August 15, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Herbal Supplements Lawsuit Seeks Compensation from Arbonne for Liver Failure ]
Fort Wayne, IN Instead of an expectation of “feeling fit” in 30 days, a woman from Allen County Indiana alleges that she was left instead with acute liver failure brought on by toxic levels of green tea extracts in the herbal supplements she had been using. The Fort Wayne Journal Gazette (5/23/15) reports that plaintiff Vicki L. Swanson has launched an herbal supplements lawsuit against Arbonne International, a company that sells herbal supplements, together with other products, through direct marketing.
August 15, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Customers File Lumber Liquidators Lawsuits Alleging Excess Formaldehyde ]
Toano, VA The number of Lumber Liquidators lawsuits consolidated for pretrial proceedings has jumped in a month to 135, according to court documents. Lumber Liquidators lawsuits allege homeowners who put certain laminate flooring in their home are exposed to unreasonably high levels of formaldehyde, putting them at risk of health problems and lowering their home’s value.
- ER Charge for Splinter Removal: Cha-Ching! By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-15)
- Monster Drink Contents Wrongful Death Lawsuit Goes to Trial By Gordon Gibb (Aug-6-15)
- Court Affirms Overdraft Fees Class Action By Heidi Turner (Aug-5-15)
- More Evidence for Lumber Liquidators Lawsuits—Negligence By Jane Mundy (Jul-25-15)
- Lawsuit Filed against Energy Drink Maker By Heidi Turner (Jul-23-15)
- Excessive Overdraft Fees: You Can Take That to the Bank By Gordon Gibb (Jul-22-15)
- Unregulated Herbal Supplements Can Be Lethal By Gordon Gibb (Jul-20-15)
- Payday Loan Class Actions Could Make a Comeback By Brenda Craig (Jul-19-15)
- Consumers Might Want to Take Note of Overdraft Fees By Heidi Turner (Jul-11-15)
- CEO Lynch Out, Fortunes Continue to Fall for Lumber Liquidators By Gordon Gibb (Jul-9-15)
- ER Overcharges Case? Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-7-15)
- Medicare Fraud Whistleblower Lawsuit Settled for $17 Million By Heidi Turner (Jul-1-15)
- Overdraft Fees Lawsuits Ongoing By Heidi Turner (Jun-24-15)
- Does Your Laminate Flooring Have Too Much Formaldehyde? By Heidi Turner (Jun-17-15)
- Two Monster Energy Lawsuits Reportedly Settled By Heidi Turner (Jun-12-15)
- Study Finds Increased Risk for Heart Attack with Proton Pump Inhibitors (PPIs) By Lucy Campbell (Jun-11-15)
- Pfizer Report Could Change Outcome of Zoloft Birth Defects Lawsuit By Lucy Campbell (Jun-9-15)
- Hospitals Raise ER Overcharges By Jane Mundy (Jun-6-15)
- Tennessee Hospital Settles Alleged Whistleblower Healthcare Fraud for $1.3 Million By Gordon Gibb (Jun-1-15)
- $23 Million Verdict Awarded in First Depakote Birth Defects Lawsuit By Lucy Campbell (May-29-15)
- More to Monster Drink Contents Than Just Caffeine By Gordon Gibb (May-21-15)
- Florida Whistleblower Healthcare Fraud Lawsuit Settles for $7.5 Million By Gordon Gibb (May-17-15)
- Changes Coming to Herbal Supplement Industry By Heidi Turner (May-16-15)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Start with Getting There By Jane Mundy (May-16-15)
- Lumber Liquidators Halts Sales of Allegedly Toxic Chinese Laminate Flooring By Lucy Campbell (May-7-15)
- From Bad to Worse for Lumber Liquidators Toxic Flooring By Gordon Gibb (May-1-15)
- Canadians Are Targets for Emergency Room Overcharges By Jane Mundy (Apr-28-15)
- In Wake of Supplements Lawsuit, GNC Agrees to Changes By Heidi Turner (Apr-17-15)
- New Class-Action Lumber Liquidators Formaldehyde Lawsuit Targets Test Kits By Gordon Gibb (Apr-17-15)
- Healthcare Fraud Whistleblowers Allege Medicaid and Medicare Out Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-12-15)
- Study Suggests Energy Drinks Dangerous for Adolescents By Heidi Turner (Apr-10-15)
- Actos Cancer Victims Could See A $2.2B Settlement By Lucy Campbell (Apr-6-15)
- Denied Disability Insurance Lawsuit Filed in Los Angeles By Heidi Turner (Apr-3-15)
- Lumber Liquidators Not Floored? By Jane Mundy (Mar-31-15)
- First Energy Drink Wrongful Death Suit Goes to Trial By Brenda Craig (Mar-26-15)
- Monster Headaches for Monster Beverage Corp: Trial Begins in April By Gordon Gibb (Mar-25-15)
- Herbal Supplements: A Massive Industry with Little Oversight By Gordon Gibb (Mar-21-15)
- Can Herbal Supplements Lawsuits Support Lack of DNA Evidence? By Jane Mundy (Mar-15-15)
- Hospital Overcharging Included $2,500 Billed for Individual Surgical Screws By Gordon Gibb (Mar-15-15)
- Lawsuits Filed Over Herbal Supplements By Heidi Turner (Mar-7-15)