LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONConsumer Fraud
Legal News Articles - Consumer Fraud
February 11, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
San Diego, CA: Promoters of automatic renewals tout the convenience of ensuring continued service for busy consumers who otherwise might forget to renew a valued service on their own. Critics, however, counter that service providers are taking advantage of technology and online commerce to milk additional revenues from unsuspecting consumers. Little wonder many turn to an Auto-Renewal lawsuit.Read [ No Need to “Renew” Their Angst: Auto-Renewal Plaintiffs Remain Vigilant ]
February 5, 2016. By The National Trial Lawyers.
More than 200 women in 40 states who used WEN Hair Care have filed a class action law suit against the conditioning hair care system and its creator, celebrity stylist Chaz Dean. The women who joined the class action suit in November 2015 experienced rashes, irritation, hair breakage, and extreme hair loss after using the infomercial-driven product.Read [ 200 Women File Class Action Law Suit Against Celebrity Hair Care Product WEN ]
February 5, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Roseburg, OR: As one healthcare fraud lawsuit is settled, another healthcare whistleblower lawsuit has been filed alleging a worker was fired for reporting improper payments. The lawsuit was filed by the former CEO of a healthcare provider, and alleges the plaintiff was fired for reporting fraudulent Medicare payments.Read [ Healthcare CEO Files Whistleblower Lawsuit ]
February 4, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
Pittsburgh, PA: A woman injured in a car accident has filed a denied disability insurance lawsuit against Cigna, alleging the company improperly denied her disability claim. Meanwhile, a man in Louisiana has also filed a lawsuit against Cigna, also alleging he was improperly denied his long-term disability.Read [ Cigna Faces Two New Denied Disability Lawsuits ]
February 3, 2016. By LAS Staff Writer.
Los Angeles, CA (February 2, 2016) (Press Release): Walmart® (WMT) has a significant advantage in marketing its goods through global name recognition and consumer perceived credibility. Consumers place their confidence in, and rely on the global giant’s credibility, especially when the retailer is an authorized retailer of a particular product. But, sometimes that confidence may be misplaced.Read [ Counterfeit Duracell Batteries Purchased on Walmart.com ]
January 30, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Sacramento, CA: The passage of California’s automatic-renewal law in 2010 and the rise in class-action lawsuits that have resulted is indicative of a transition by an increasing number of retailers and service providers to a model that was once the bastion of the magazine industry. And while service providers appear to finally be getting the message that terms need to be communicated to the consumer in a clear and conspicuous manner, more and more consumers are turning to the courts and filing a California Auto-Renewal Lawsuit after getting dinged with charges of which they were unaware of or never agreed to, or so it is alleged.Read [ Automatic Renewals Are a Runaway Freight Train, but Lawsuits Are Fighting Back ]
January 23, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
New York, NY: Even if you think banks make huge profits off the various fees they charge their customers - including overdraft fees - you might still be surprised to learn just how much money the banks make. According to CNNMoney and SNL Financial, the three largest banks earned more than $6 billion in 2015 just from their ATM and overdraft fees. That’s despite new laws that regulate how and when banks can charge overdraft fees.Read [ Report: Banks Make $6 Billion Off of Fees ]
January 22, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
New York, NY: A Frontline documentary exploring the Herbal Supplement industry suggests herbal supplements may not contain the ingredients consumers think they’re buying. The documentary, which aired on PBS on January 19, is the latest in a string of investigations into how herbal supplements are made and marketed, including lawsuits filed by New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman and the Justice Department against various herbal supplement makers.Read [ Frontline Investigates Herbal Supplement Industry ]
January 17, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: They are easily the bane of every consumer: the automatic or auto-renewal program. Originally intended in the most optimistic terms as a convenience for the consumer, reality has suggested otherwise with scores of consumers hit with charges for goods or services they didn’t want, had understood to be a one-time-only purchase, or were not properly informed of opt-out terms in a clear and concise manner. The problem has left many a consumer filing an Auto-Renewal Lawsuit.Read [ Auto-Renewal Lawsuits on the Rise ]
January 14, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Credit Union Excessive Fees Lawsuits Could Be “Tip of the Iceberg” ]
Lakeland, FL Credit unions are increasingly coming under fire for excessive overdraft fees, in the same way that major banks have been taken to task for misdeeds such as reorganizing transactions to maximize fees. In October plaintiff Martha Towner filed a Credit Union Excessive Overdraft Fees lawsuit alleging 1st MidAmerica Credit Union charged overdraft fees improperly.
- Tommie Copper Settlement Announced, Other Lawsuits Pending By Heidi Turner (Jan-7-16)
- Healthcare Fraud Cost Pharmaceutical Almost $150 Million in Settlements By Gordon Gibb (Jan-6-16)
- FDA Reclassifies Transvaginal Mesh As High Risk Medical Device By Lucy Campbell (Jan-4-16)
- US Bank Hoping to Recoup Portion of $55 Million Settlement from Insurers By Gordon Gibb (Dec-29-15)
- From Bad to Worse for GNC: Shareholders Launch Herbal Supplements Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Dec-27-15)
- VW Car Dealerships Hurting This Holiday Season Sue Volkswagen Group By Jane Mundy (Dec-19-15)
- It’s Not Just the Banks Charging Excessive Overdraft Fees By Heidi Turner (Dec-18-15)
- Energy Drink Reportedly Linked to Man’s Heart Attack By Heidi Turner (Dec-16-15)
- Dating App’s Premium Package Has Unfair Cancellation Process—Suit Alleges By Brenda Craig (Dec-14-15)
- Lawsuit Filed against Gay Dating App By Brenda Craig (Dec-12-15)
- Tommie Copper Settlement Announced, More Deceptive Advertising Lawsuits Forthcoming By Gordon Gibb (Dec-5-15)
- Sexual Enhancement Dietary Supplements Found to Have Secret Ingredients By Heidi Turner (Nov-30-15)
- Woman Says Energy Drinks Ruined Her Life By Heidi Turner (Nov-29-15)
- “There Are Fees for Everything but Breathing the Air” By Gordon Gibb (Nov-25-15)
- Lawsuit Uncovers Governor Had State Workers Develop Maps for Personal Oil Holdings By LAS Staff Writer (Nov-10-15)
- The Class-Action Ban-Wagon and What It Means to Consumer Protection Laws By Gordon Gibb (Nov-8-15)
- HSBC Overdraft Lawsuit Nets $30 Million Settlement By Heidi Turner (Nov-6-15)
- Anthem Blue Cross to Pay $8.3 Million to Settle Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Nov-4-15)
- Healthcare Fraud Whistleblowers to Split $38 Million By Gordon Gibb (Nov-2-15)
- Despite Concerns about Energy Drinks, Restaurants Begin Sales By Heidi Turner (Oct-30-15)
- Financial Institutions Told to Halt Overdraft Fees on College Cards By Heidi Turner (Oct-29-15)
- GNC under Scrutiny Again Over Herbal Supplement Ingredients By Gordon Gibb (Oct-24-15)
- Healthcare Fraud Lawsuit Results in $115 Million By Heidi Turner (Oct-23-15)
- Volkswagen Made Several Versions of Defeat Devices By Lucy Campbell (Oct-20-15)
- “I Might Have to Start Stripping to Pay My ER Overcharges Bill” By Jane Mundy (Oct-17-15)
- Monster Energy Drinks Safety Designation Easily Obtained By Gordon Gibb (Oct-14-15)
- Class Action Alleging Excessive Bank Overdraft Fees Can Go Ahead By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-15)
- $100M Boston Scientific Pelvic Mesh Injury Settlement Reduced By Lucy Campbell (Oct-12-15)
- Texas County Is First Government Agency to Sue VW for Environmental Harm By The National Trial Lawyers (Oct-1-15)
- Los Angeles Credit Union Sued Over Lack of Consent, Overdraft Fees By Gordon Gibb (Sep-30-15)
- Attorney: Volkswagen Owners Could Suffer Tremendous Financial Impact By Heidi Turner (Sep-30-15)
- Car Sellers in Class Action against VW Germany By Brenda Craig (Sep-29-15)
- Clean Diesel Technology Claim Deceived Millions of VW Owners By Brenda Craig (Sep-28-15)
- Monster Energy Drink Lawsuit Reportedly Settled By Heidi Turner (Sep-25-15)
- VW Owners File $1 Billion Suit By Brenda Craig (Sep-24-15)
- Volkswagen Facing Nationwide Lawsuit Over Environmental Emissions Deception By Lucy Campbell (Sep-22-15)
- New Herbal Supplement Targeted by Investigation By Heidi Turner (Sep-22-15)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Lawsuit Filed By Jane Mundy (Sep-20-15)
- Auditor Recommends Reauthorizing Medicaid Fraud False Claims Act By Heidi Turner (Sep-17-15)
- Foreign Massage Therapists Win First Round Against Private College in Class Action Lawsuit By LAS Staff Writer (Sep-15-15)