Legal News Articles - Consumer Fraud
January 7, 2016. By Heidi Turner.
New York, NY: People dealing with chronic pain from arthritis might be tempted to believe a specialty clothing could help prevent severe pain and inflammation. But as Tommie Copper lawsuits suggest, wanting to believe something doesn’t make it true. Further, companies can’t prey on consumers by making up claims about the health benefits of their products without adequate science to back those claims up. As the FTC’s Tommie Copper false advertising lawsuit and settlement show, there are watchdogs to make sure companies can prove the claims they make.Read [ Tommie Copper Settlement Announced, Other Lawsuits Pending ]
January 6, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: It was four days before Christmas when a major, multimillion-dollar settlement was announced in a California healthcare fraud whistleblower lawsuit involving alleged kickbacks and other incentives to doctors in exchange for additional business.Read [ Healthcare Fraud Cost Pharmaceutical Almost $150 Million in Settlements ]
January 4, 2016. By Lucy Campbell.
Santa Clara, CA: Manufacturers of transvaginal mesh have been issued with final orders from the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that strengthen the data requirements for surgical mesh to repair pelvic organ prolapse (POP) transvaginally, or through the vagina. Hundreds of lawsuits have been filed against the manufacturers of these devices alleging mesh erosion, infection, pelvic pain and urinary problems.Read [ FDA Reclassifies Transvaginal Mesh As High Risk Medical Device ]
December 29, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
St. Paul, MN: An excessive bank overdraft fees lawsuit and resulting settlement has been embroiled in an extended legal conflict not between the defendant bank and its customers, but rather an ongoing dispute between US Bancorp (US Bank NA, US Bank) and two of its insurers. The issue is how much of the $55 million settlement agreed to by US Bank would be paid by its insurers, if any.Read [ US Bank Hoping to Recoup Portion of $55 Million Settlement from Insurers ]
December 27, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Pittsburgh, PA: Any users of herbal supplements grousing about fraudulent content and misleading labeling now have advocates at the shareholder level, following the filing of a shareholder lawsuit against GNC Holdings Inc. (GNC). In sum, the herbal supplements lawsuit accuses the principals of GNC of standing pat while stock prices inflated, before prices tumbled once it was revealed that contents of GNC herbal supplements did not jive with the product labels.Read [ From Bad to Worse for GNC: Shareholders Launch Herbal Supplements Lawsuit ]
December 19, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Los Angeles, CA: Car dealers have been hit hard by the Volkswagen emissions debacle. They have lost business on several levels and they have lost their customers’ trust. But lawyers say they do have legal recourse. Consumers have already filed claims and dealers too can file a Volkswagen Lawsuit.Read [ VW Car Dealerships Hurting This Holiday Season Sue Volkswagen Group ]
December 18, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Tampa, FL: If you think it’s just the banks who have been accused of charging excessive overdraft fees, you'll have to think again. Yes, the banks have been at the front of most of the media concerning fees, but credit unions have also been accused of charging excessive fees. Although the battle concerning overdraft fees has been going on a few years now, lawsuits are still being filed against banks and credit unions alleging they’ve been gouging their customers to increase profits.Read [ It’s Not Just the Banks Charging Excessive Overdraft Fees ]
December 16, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Washington, DC: Excessive consumption of energy drinks has been reportedly linked to a man’s heart attack. Published studies have already suggested that high levels of caffeine in energy drinks could play a role in cardiovascular issues in youth, but less is known about their effects in adults. Three lawsuits concerning energy drinks and cardiac problems have recently been settled for confidential amounts.Read [ Energy Drink Reportedly Linked to Man’s Heart Attack ]
December 14, 2015. By Brenda Craig.
Costa Mesa, CA: Tinder, a global dating app’s website, is the focus of a a consumer rights class-action lawsuit launched in California.Read [ Dating App’s Premium Package Has Unfair Cancellation Process—Suit Alleges ]
December 12, 2015. By Brenda Craig.
Costa Mesa, CA: Grindr Xtra, a global dating website that caters to gay, bisexual and curious types, has a consumer fraud lawsuit on its plate over the way it handles subscriber cancellations.Read [ Lawsuit Filed against Gay Dating App ]
- Tommie Copper Settlement Announced, More Deceptive Advertising Lawsuits Forthcoming By Gordon Gibb (Dec-5-15)
- Sexual Enhancement Dietary Supplements Found to Have Secret Ingredients By Heidi Turner (Nov-30-15)
- Woman Says Energy Drinks Ruined Her Life By Heidi Turner (Nov-29-15)
- “There Are Fees for Everything but Breathing the Air” By Gordon Gibb (Nov-25-15)
- Lawsuit Uncovers Governor Had State Workers Develop Maps for Personal Oil Holdings By LAS Staff Writer (Nov-10-15)
- The Class-Action Ban-Wagon and What It Means to Consumer Protection Laws By Gordon Gibb (Nov-8-15)
- HSBC Overdraft Lawsuit Nets $30 Million Settlement By Heidi Turner (Nov-6-15)
- Anthem Blue Cross to Pay $8.3 Million to Settle Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Nov-4-15)
- Healthcare Fraud Whistleblowers to Split $38 Million By Gordon Gibb (Nov-2-15)
- Despite Concerns about Energy Drinks, Restaurants Begin Sales By Heidi Turner (Oct-30-15)
- Financial Institutions Told to Halt Overdraft Fees on College Cards By Heidi Turner (Oct-29-15)
- GNC under Scrutiny Again Over Herbal Supplement Ingredients By Gordon Gibb (Oct-24-15)
- Healthcare Fraud Lawsuit Results in $115 Million By Heidi Turner (Oct-23-15)
- Volkswagen Made Several Versions of Defeat Devices By Lucy Campbell (Oct-20-15)
- “I Might Have to Start Stripping to Pay My ER Overcharges Bill” By Jane Mundy (Oct-17-15)
- Monster Energy Drinks Safety Designation Easily Obtained By Gordon Gibb (Oct-14-15)
- Class Action Alleging Excessive Bank Overdraft Fees Can Go Ahead By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-15)
- $100M Boston Scientific Pelvic Mesh Injury Settlement Reduced By Lucy Campbell (Oct-12-15)
- Texas County Is First Government Agency to Sue VW for Environmental Harm By The National Trial Lawyers (Oct-1-15)
- Los Angeles Credit Union Sued Over Lack of Consent, Overdraft Fees By Gordon Gibb (Sep-30-15)
- Attorney: Volkswagen Owners Could Suffer Tremendous Financial Impact By Heidi Turner (Sep-30-15)
- Car Sellers in Class Action against VW Germany By Brenda Craig (Sep-29-15)
- Clean Diesel Technology Claim Deceived Millions of VW Owners By Brenda Craig (Sep-28-15)
- Monster Energy Drink Lawsuit Reportedly Settled By Heidi Turner (Sep-25-15)
- VW Owners File $1 Billion Suit By Brenda Craig (Sep-24-15)
- New Herbal Supplement Targeted by Investigation By Heidi Turner (Sep-22-15)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Lawsuit Filed By Jane Mundy (Sep-20-15)
- Auditor Recommends Reauthorizing Medicaid Fraud False Claims Act By Heidi Turner (Sep-17-15)
- Foreign Massage Therapists Win First Round Against Private College in Class Action Lawsuit By LAS Staff Writer (Sep-15-15)
- Class Action Upheld in Overdraft Fees Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Sep-12-15)
- Calls for More Regulation in Wake of Energy Drink Deaths By Gordon Gibb (Sep-12-15)
- Lawsuits Say Monster Drinks Lead to Devastating Brain Injury By Brenda Craig (Sep-11-15)
- Energy Drink Lawsuits: Understanding Caffeine By Heidi Turner (Aug-27-15)
- First Healthcare Fraud Whistleblower Lawsuit under Obamacare Settles for $6.88 Million By Gordon Gibb (Aug-24-15)
- Credit Unions Not Immune to Charging Excessive Fees: Attorney By Gordon Gibb (Aug-22-15)
- Blue Cross Faces Hepatitis C Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Aug-21-15)
- eBay Faces Federal Racketeering (RICO) Lawsuit For Trafficking In Fake Products By LAS Staff Writer (Aug-20-15)
- Herbal Supplements Lawsuit Seeks Compensation from Arbonne for Liver Failure By Gordon Gibb (Aug-15-15)
- Customers File Lumber Liquidators Lawsuits Alleging Excess Formaldehyde By Heidi Turner (Aug-15-15)
- ER Charge for Splinter Removal: Cha-Ching! By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-15)