March 11, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: With three new bellwether Xarelto bleeding issue trials set to begin next month in Philadelphia, defendants Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals and Janssen Pharmaceuticals Inc. are pushing back against attempts by plaintiffs to amend the master complaint in the Xarelto mass tort. In spite of the fact defendants won the first three bellwether trials - and stood by while a multi-million dollar award to a plaintiff this past December was voided in post-trial motions - Bayer and Janssen nonetheless feel that an amended master complaint so close to trial would significantly prejudice them in their attempts to present a coherent defense.Read [ Last-Minute Maneuvering Underway Prior to Next Round of Xarelto Lawsuits ]
February 11, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: A jury verdict in favor of the plaintiff in a bellwether Xarelto lawsuit that was in danger of being overturned was, indeed tossed - but not for reasons that had been previously speculated.Read [ Xarelto Verdict for the Plaintiff Overturned in Bellwether Case ]
January 7, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
New Orleans, LA:With three federal bellwether cases having gone to the defendant and a fourth in state court favoring the plaintiff, the judge heading up the 18,500 consolidated cases in federal court has signaled he is looking for guidance from the various parties involved, with oral arguments on the docket for the end of the month following a status report. The Xarelto Lawsuit MDL is under the guidance and management of US District Judge Eldon Fallon in US District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana.Read [ Xarelto Bellwether Score is 3-1 for the Defendants: MDL to Map out Strategy ]
December 20, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: A verdict in favor of the plaintiff in a bellwether Xarelto lawsuit may be all for naught if the defense team for co-defendants Janssen Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Bayer AG are successful in having the verdict tossed.Read [ $27.8 Million Xarelto Plaintiff Verdict Could be Tossed Out ]
December 5, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Philadelphia, PA: A jury has found against units of Johnson & Johnson (J&J) and Bayer AG in the fourth bellwether Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) case being heard as part of a Xarelto mass tort. The award, nearly $28 million, is the first favoring a plaintiff, in this case Lynn Hartman, who alleged she suffered a serious gastrointestinal bleed while using the blood thinning medication. The jury found that the pharmaceutical companies failed to provide adequate warnings regarding the risks for bleeding associated with Xarelto.Read [ $28M Xarelto Verdict Against J&J and Bayer ]
November 17, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: The first trial in the large Xarelto mass tort in Philadelphia is underway, with damning testimony already on the record from a former commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). While three bellwether lawsuits have already been tried in multidistrict litigation in Louisiana, the Xarelto lawsuit brought by plaintiff Lynn Hartman is the first of some 1,500 cases housed in the Philadelphia mass tort to face a jury.Read [ Trial for First Philadelphia Mass Tort Xarelto Lawsuit Finally Underway ]
November 6, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Philadelphia, PA: Allegations of witness tampering have stalled the beginning of the Xarelto litigation. The first Xarelto trail was set to being Monday, November 6, but instead got sidelined by attempts to determine the significance of a meeting between a key witness, Dr. Timothy Aldridge, the plaintiff’s treating physician, and a Janssen sales representative.Read [ First Xarelto Trial Stalled Over Allegations of Witness Tampering ]
August 5, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: Towards the end of May plaintiffs embroiled in some 18,000 Xarelto lawsuits consolidated in multidistrict litigation were pushing back against a move by defendants Janssen Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Janssen, a division of Johnson & Johnson) and Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Bayer) to escape claims that relied on allegations plaintiffs had previously dropped.Read [ Xarelto Seeking FDA Approval for Lower Dosage While Litigation Posturing Continues ]
July 8, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
New Orleans, LA: The second bellwether Xarelto lawsuit in multidistrict litigation over allegations of Xarelto bleedout in association with the new age blood thinner has gone, like the first, to the defendant. While this may prove disappointing to litigants alleging the anticoagulant is unsafe, there are still two more bellwether trials to roll out later this year, with some 15,000 cases in the federal multidistrict litigation pipeline housed in New Orleans. Additional cases are percolating at the state level in Philadelphia.Read [ Second Bellwether Xarelto Lawsuit Goes to Defendant, All Eyes on Third ]
June 12, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
New Orleans, LA: There is speculation that a bellwether Xarelto lawsuit, currently underway in the state of Louisiana, may end as the first bellwether concluded; with a verdict for the defense. However, legal commentator Tighe Wilhelmy of Velawcity notes that Louisiana’s ‘Learned Intermediary Doctrine Defense’ may not necessarily apply going forward to cases whose original jurisdictions fall outside the state of Louisiana.Read [ Forecasting the Xarelto Bellwether Trials ]
- Claims against Xarelto Due to Be Tested in Court Again By Brenda Craig (May-28-17)
- First Xarelto Bellwether Trial Goes to the Defense By Gordon Gibb (May-12-17)
- Defendants on Philadelphia Xarelto Mass Tort Seek Disclosure of Third-Party Funding By Gordon Gibb (Apr-11-17)
- Plaintiffs Looking for a Slam Dunk in First Xarelto Bellwether Trial This Month By Gordon Gibb (Mar-1-17)
- Xarelto Bellwether Pushed Back by NBA All-Star Game By Gordon Gibb (Feb-3-17)
- First Xarelto Bellwether Trial Due in March, Others to Follow in 2017 By Gordon Gibb (Jan-6-17)
- FDA Assurances Likely Not Enough to Satisfy Xarelto Litigants By Gordon Gibb (Dec-5-16)
- Xarelto Mass Tort and MDL Grows By Jane Mundy (Nov-2-16)
- Xarelto MDL Judge Orders Redacted Personnel Files of Two Bayer Doctors By Gordon Gibb (Oct-2-16)
- Xarelto Lawsuits on the Rise By Jane Mundy (Sep-22-16)
- Xarelto Lawsuits Closing in on 7,000 By Gordon Gibb (Aug-14-16)
- Almost 6,000 Lawsuits Consolidated in Xarelto Litigation By Heidi Turner (Jul-14-16)
- Xarelto Lawsuits Continue Unabated, Now Over 5,000 and Growing in Number By Gordon Gibb (Jun-16-16)
- Thousands of Xarelto Lawsuits Filed Alleging Injury, Death By Heidi Turner (May-12-16)
- More Than 4,500 Xarelto Lawsuits Consolidated By Heidi Turner (Apr-27-16)
- Canadian Xarelto Lawsuits Continue to Emerge By Gordon Gibb (Apr-12-16)
- Xarelto: Did Drugmakers Hide Information? By Heidi Turner (Mar-30-16)
- Some Interesting Revelations Associated with Xarelto Side Effects Concerns By Gordon Gibb (Mar-7-16)
- Xarelto Lawsuits at 3,000 and Counting in Just Five Years By Gordon Gibb (Feb-26-16)
- Can Xarelto Trial Data Be Trusted? It Depends Who You Ask By Heidi Turner (Feb-10-16)
- New Year Sees 400 More Lawsuits Added to Xarelto MDL By Heidi Turner (Jan-28-16)
- Three Months After Taking Xarelto, Plaintiff’s Grandmother Was Dead By Gordon Gibb (Jan-13-16)
- Xarelto Lawsuits Show No Sign of Stopping By Heidi Turner (Dec-29-15)
- Six Years for Troubled Xarelto v. Six Decades for Reliable Coumadin By Gordon Gibb (Dec-14-15)
- More Xarelto Lawsuits Filed, As MDL Grows By Heidi Turner (Nov-24-15)
- Xarelto Bellwether Lawsuits Moving Forward according to These Timelines By Gordon Gibb (Nov-12-15)
- Number of Xarelto Lawsuits in MDL Approaches 1,700 By Heidi Turner (Oct-27-15)
- Yet Another Xarelto Lawsuit Filed in Ohio By Gordon Gibb (Oct-18-15)
- Plaintiffs Claim Xarelto Is Unsafe and Improperly Marketed By Gordon Gibb (Sep-30-15)
- Latest Xarelto Lawsuit Accuses Defendants of Misleading Advertisements By Gordon Gibb (Sep-14-15)
- Xarelto MDL Gathers Steam By Heidi Turner (Aug-30-15)
- In Moving Forward, a Look Back at Xarelto By Gordon Gibb (Aug-16-15)
- As Xarelto MDL Grows, Study Suggests Link with Hemorrhage By Heidi Turner (Jul-28-15)
- Plaintiffs Claim Xarelto Should be Monitored, MDL Moving Forward By Gordon Gibb (Jul-13-15)
- Xarelto Bleeding Complications a Perfect Storm, Not So Perfect for Patients By Gordon Gibb (Jun-26-15)
- Xarelto Litigation Continues to Grow By Heidi Turner (Jun-11-15)
- Caseloads for Xarelto Blood Thinner Getting Fatter By Gordon Gibb (May-28-15)
- Blood Thinners Under Fire for Alleged Failure to Warn By Heidi Turner (May-13-15)
- Science! Xarelto Plaintiffs Looking to Science Day in June By Gordon Gibb (Apr-25-15)
- Will Xarelto Litigation Match Pradaxa? By Heidi Turner (Apr-11-15)