Home Page >> Wrongful Termination >> Articles
Wrongful Termination Articles
February 16, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: A California labor lawsuit alleging wrongful dismissal and defamation was quietly settled earlier this week at the 11th hour after a jury had awarded damages to the plaintiff, but had yet to settle on punitive damages. While having awarded punitive damages in the case on Tuesday February 13, 2018, the jury recessed for the day with plans to deliberate the amount of punitive damages once reconvened. Late in the night on February 13, the two parties reached a confidential settlement, ending the dispute.Read [ Plaintiff Settles with Bank of America Corp. NA at the Eleventh Hour ]
January 6, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Oakland, CA When Eva O’Brien told her boss she was pregnant, he went nuts. He yelled, threw papers, made rude comments about her big belly and breast feeding. Then got in really close to ask if she wanted to quit. She didn’t and things got worse. Lower-paid hourly employees are among the most vulnerable and the least likely to file lawsuits, even in response to outrageous conduct. California wrongful termination law can protect workers like Eva under the “wrongful termination in violation of public policy” provision. But these lawsuits take endurance.Read [ Pregnant Worker Wins California Wrongful Termination Lawsuit ]
June 21, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Chicago, IL: A Wisconsin employment lawsuit that may have been lost on a complex legal technicality will live on to see another day, following a ruling by a split panel of the Seventh Circuit in Chicago.Read [ Wisconsin Plaintiff’s Lawsuit Revived on Appeal ]
October 30, 2015. By Brenda Craig.
Gold River, CA: California employment lawyer Chris Whelan has a rather unassuming demeanor. However, make no mistake, he’s deadly in a defamation deposition when representing fired workers. With more than 30 years’ experience under his belt, he’s won a number of multimillion-dollar lawsuits by arguing that employees were defamed by employers bent on driving them out their job.Read [ Defamation Argument Serves Fired Workers Best ]
October 20, 2015. By Brenda Craig.
Beverly Hills, CA: Mike Alder’s firm usually handles cases where there are millions of dollars at stake. However, to Alder, this case was just as important. Big or little, they all matter.Read [ Fired Worker Gets Half a Million ]
May 13, 2014. By The National Trial Lawyers.
Austin, Texas - After three years of litigation, which culminated in a highly contentious two week trial, a Travis County jury awarded a software salesman $11.6 million on May 7 against Microsoft Corporation.Read [ Microsoft Hit with $11.6M Verdict for Wrongful Termination of Star Salesman ]
October 4, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ New York Wrongful Termination Results in Lawsuits ]
New York, NY Although New York is an at-will employment state, there are circumstances in which an employee can file a New York wrongful termination lawsuit. If an employee has been fired for discriminatory reasons, for example, he or she could allege violations of federal and New York employment law. A New York wrongful employment termination lawsuit could result in financial recovery for the plaintiff, as well as reinstatement to the job position.
October 1, 2013. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ One Strike You’re Out: Wrongful Termination ]
Rialto, CA Juan believes he was wrongfully terminated: he didn’t show up for work one day because he was in jail - a situation obviously out of his control. His employer fired Juan because he was “unreliable” but he had never even been late for work. Is that fair?
September 2, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Former Hempstead District Employee to Sue for New York Wrongful Termination ]
Long Island, NY The man credited with exposing a grade-changing campaign at a school district in New York state is suing his former employer for New York wrongful termination.
August 29, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Former Deputy Fights California Wrongful Termination ]
San Bernardino, CA A former sheriff’s deputy who claims he was unjustly fired by San Bernardino County for taking too much time off work to care for his ailing mother appears to be headed for a California wrongful termination settlement. Travis Bauer alleges he was unjustly targeted by his superiors and subsequently fired, whereas his former employer maintains Bauer was given to poor job performance and simply was given to a habit of calling in sick.
- Fired Nurse Launches Ohio Employment Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-17-13)
- Firing “At-Will” Not the End of the Story By Heidi Turner (Aug-8-13)
- New Wage and Hour Law Passed By Lucy Campbell (Jul-29-13)
- Pending Trial a Test for California Wrongful Termination Law By Gordon Gibb (Jul-24-13)
- Employee of Kentucky Government Files Employment Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-18-13)
- When a Contract Is Terminated, Is There California Wrongful Termination? By Jane Mundy (Jul-11-13)
- Wrongful Termination - Add Assault Charge By Jane Mundy (Jun-26-13)
- $2.7 Million Awarded in California Wrongful Termination Damages By Gordon Gibb (Jun-8-13)
- Working without California Overtime Doesn’t Spell Job Security By Jane Mundy (May-9-13)
- Wrongful Termination Lawsuits on the Rise By Jane Mundy (Jan-5-11)
- Three Men File Wrong Termination Lawsuits Against Wal-Mart By Charles Benson (Aug-9-10)
- ESPN Facing Wrongful Termination Lawsuit from Former Production By Charles Benson (Jun-15-10)
- Transgender Employee Sues for Wrongful Termination in California By Gordon Gibb (May-24-10)
- Construction Foreman in Wisconsin Sues Former Employer over Wrongful Termination By Charles Benson (May-12-10)
- Michigan Man Files Wrongful Termination Suit Against Ford Dealer By Charles Benson (Mar-20-10)
- Montana Deputy Sees Wrongful Termination Verdict Upheld By Charles Benson (Jan-5-10)
- Whistleblower protection cited in two wrongful termination lawsuits By Charles Benson (Sep-12-09)
- Former Toyota Rollover Lawyer Alleges Foul Play By Lucy Campbell (Sep-1-09)
- Wrongful Termination and WARN By Heidi Turner (Aug-22-09)
- Whistleblowers Allege Wrongful Termination By Heidi Turner (Jun-11-09)
- Injured Driver Alleges Wrongful Termination, Forced to Keep Working By Gordon Gibb (May-21-09)
- Wrongful Termination Claims on the Rise By Gordon Gibb (Feb-11-09)
- Wrongful Termination: "Totally Horrendous" By Heidi Turner (Aug-2-08)
- Secretary Alleges Firing was Politically Motivated (Apr-30-08)
- Judge Stands Firm on Decision to Proceed with Wrongful Termination Suit Against ORU (Apr-6-08)
- Former Employee Files $50 Million Suit against CSX (Mar-25-08)
- Former Dispatcher Alleges Wrongful Termination (Feb-29-08)
- Charter School Closes Allegedly Citing No Funds Among Misgivings of Financial Misdeeds (Feb-18-08)
- Wrongful Termination: "We call it the Homeland of Insecurity." By Paul Halpern (Jan-14-08)