LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONHome Page >> Unpaid Wages for Required Time >> Articles
Unpaid Wages Articles
December 13, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ “Face of Channel 4 News” Fired -- Too Old to be Female on TV ]
Nashville, TN News anchor Demetria Kalodimos, who had repeatedly been named the Best Local Reporter and Best Local TV News Personality by the readers of the Nashville Scene, was abruptly fired by WSMV, Channel 4 on December 4, 2017. On November 27, 2018, she filed an employment lawsuit in the Middle District of Tennessee, alleging violations of the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Tennessee Human Rights Act and Disability Act and Tennessee common law. Allegations concerning violations of the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 are expected to follow.
December 10, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Employers can be Liable for California Wage-Hour Violations ]
Sacramento, CA: Can an individual be held liable for alleged California wage law violations?
December 7, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit Goes to Jail ]
San Diego, CA A year and a half ago, Sylvester Owino and Jonathan Gomez filed a California unpaid wages lawsuit against CoreCivic, a for-profit business that runs private prisons, including the Otay Mesa Detention Center in San Diego. The lawsuit alleges violations of federal human trafficking laws and California labor laws relating to minimum wage, overtime, and meal breaks, among other things. Discovery is expected to continue into March 2019, with a trial to follow.
December 6, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Discrimination Laws Upheld with Teva Claim ]
Santa Clara, CA: Pharmaceutical giant Teva was ordered by an eight-person jury last month to pay $6.3 million to a former manager who filed a discrimination employment lawsuit against the Israeli company.
November 24, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ California Independent Contractor Rules Collapse in Confusion ]
San Diego, CA In 2015 Jesus Cuitlahuac Garcia, a taxi driver, filed a California unpaid wages lawsuit against Border Transportation Group (BTG) claiming unpaid wages, wrongful termination and a variety of related labor law violations. In October 2018, the California Court of Appeal, Fourth Appellate District handed Mr. Garcia an apparently empty victory.
November 21, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Tennessee Drywall Workers Win Unpaid Overtime in DOL Settlement ]
Hermitage, TN On October 19, 2018, the U.S. Department of Labor announced that Tennessee contractor, Vasquez Drywall, had agreed to pay $103,300 in back wages to workers misclassified as independent contractors and a $2,424 civil penalty. Employment misclassification is rampant in the construction industry in Tennessee and throughout the country. The practice deprives employees of overtime pay, workers compensation insurance and basic workplace safety protections. Undocumented construction workers are particularly at risk because they are unlikely to bring lawsuits or seek other enforcement action to preserve their rights.
November 8, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ J.B. Hunt Settles California Labor Lawsuit with Truckers for $15million ]
Los Angeles, CA More than a decade ago truck drivers filed a California wage lawsuit against J.B. Hunt Transport, an Arkansas trucking company, claiming the company violated California's wages, rest break and meal rules. Since that time, the class action lawsuit has been the subject of recent debates over when – and whether-- federal rules regarding driver work should pre-empt state regulations.
November 5, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Sephora Accused of Shorting Workers for Time to Don Makeup ]
San Francisco, CA Cosmetics retailer, Sephora, has recently found itself embroiled in several California unpaid wages lawsuits. The allegations are similar from lawsuit to lawsuit, and so are the plaintiffs’ evidentiary problems.
October 22, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Nashville, TN: Although the Tennessee economy is doing well with record low unemployment rates, employers in the hospitality industry are having a difficult time attracting workers due to the state’s minimum wage, which is also a common Tennessee labor law issue.Read [ Tennessee Minimum Wage Too Low for Many ]
October 18, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Victory for Tipped Employees -- Bad News for Tennessee Based Restaurant Chain ]
Nashville, TN: The Ninth Circuit gave the green light last month for bartenders and servers to sue restaurants--including a Tennessee based chain-- for allegedly underpaying them regarding tipping, a violation of the federal and Tennessee labor law. The cases were consolidated on appeal as Marsh v. J. Alexander’s and remanded for further proceedings.
- Los Angeles Sweatshops Cited for Wage and Hour Violations By Anne Wallace (Oct-14-18)
- Donning and Doffing in Tennessee – Clothes or Protective Equipment? By Jane Mundy (Oct-12-18)
- Wage Theft Investigations at California Restaurants By Jane Mundy (Oct-8-18)
- Cash America Pawn Managers Deserve Overtime, Too By Jane Mundy (Sep-25-18)
- Trunk Club Settles California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit for $1.75 Million By Anne Wallace (Sep-21-18)
- Exotic Dancers Bring California Labor Lawsuit to Recover Back Wages By Anne Wallace (Sep-18-18)
- Employment Attorney Alan Crone Discusses Main Reasons for Overtime Complaints By Jane Mundy (Sep-14-18)
- Are Tutors Independent Contractors or Employees Under the California Labor Code? By Jane Mundy (Sep-6-18)
- H&M Plaintiffs Rely on Starbucks Workers’ Win To Bolster Case By Lori Prapas (Aug-19-18)
- Cash America Pawn, or First Cash Management Facing Overtime Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-18)
- Drywall Contractor Fined $2 million; Is California Wage Theft Rampant? By Jane Mundy (Aug-10-18)
- SoCal Drywall Company Fined $1.9M for Wage Theft Violations By Lori Prapas (Aug-7-18)
- Flight Attendants Anticipate $60 Million Award for California Labor Law Violations By Lori Prapas (Jul-25-18)
- Truckers Hauling to Trial Against J.B. Hunt for Alleged Wage and Hour Violations By Lori Prapas (Jul-20-18)
- Intel to Shell Out $5M to Settle California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit By Lori Prapas (Jul-16-18)
- California Labor Commissioner’s Office fined general contractor and sub-contractor for wage theft violations By Jane Mundy (Jul-13-18)
- Cheesecake Factory Found Liable for $4.57 Million Wage Theft By Lori Prapas (Jul-3-18)
- Former Marriott Hotel Waiter Appeals Dismissal of his California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit By Lori Prapas (Jun-18-18)
- California State Labor Commissioner Slams Restaurants with Wage Theft Violations By Jane Mundy (Jun-13-18)
- Potential H&M Class Action Lawsuit Over Unpaid Security Bag Checks By Lori Prapas (Jun-7-18)
- After $7.9 Million Jury Verdict, Chipotle Settles California Labor Lawsuit To Avoid Punitive Damages By Lori Prapas (Jun-5-18)
- CA Top Court Makes it Harder for Employers to Deny Overtime by Designating Workers as Independent By Lori Prapas (May-23-18)
- Wells Fargo to Pay $97M to Commissioned Brokers for Rest Breaks By Jane Mundy (May-21-18)
- Temp Worker Seeks Class Action Status for California Labor Lawsuit By Lori Prapas (May-3-18)
- California Unpaid Wages Lawsuit: Class Action Lawsuit Brewing Against Starbucks By Lori Prapas (Apr-27-18)
- How Will Passage of Save America’s Pastime Act Impact California Lawsuit? By Gordon Gibb (Mar-27-18)
- California Labor Lawsuit Expected to Settle for $2 Million By Gordon Gibb (Mar-14-18)
- Status as Employee v. Independent Contractor Impacts Wage and Hour Claims By Gordon Gibb (Feb-26-18)
- Late for Lunch Spells California Labor Lawsuits and a Shifting Work Environment By Jane Mundy (Feb-6-18)
- Jungle Trux Drivers the Latest to Challenge Unpaid Meal and Rest Breaks By Lucy Campbell (Jan-16-18)
- Landscaper Employee Files Proposed California Unpaid Wages Class Action By Gordon Gibb (Jan-16-18)
- Road Outrage: California Truckers Denied Fair Wages and Benefits By Jane Mundy (Jan-10-18)
- Misclassified Plaintiffs in Massachusetts Eyeing $2.9 Million Proposed Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Apr-21-17)
- California Overtime: Changes with New Presidency? By Jane Mundy (Jan-24-17)
- San Francisco Transit Board Okays Overtime Settlement By Heidi Turner (Jan-13-17)
- California Overtime Lawsuits against Employers Big and Small By Gordon Gibb (Jan-2-17)
- Attorney: Unpaid Wages Violations "Pervasive" By Heidi Turner (Dec-26-16)
- Rules Regarding Donning and Doffing Not Always Clear-Cut By Heidi Turner (Sep-17-16)
- Hotel in Boston Hit with Unpaid Wages Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-25-16)
- Tyson Foods Requests New Donning and Doffing Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jul-24-16)