December 5, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Philadelphia, PA: A jury has found against units of Johnson & Johnson (J&J) and Bayer AG in the fourth bellwether Xarelto (Rivaroxaban) case being heard as part of a Xarelto mass tort. The award, nearly $28 million, is the first favoring a plaintiff, in this case Lynn Hartman, who alleged she suffered a serious gastrointestinal bleed while using the blood thinning medication. The jury found that the pharmaceutical companies failed to provide adequate warnings regarding the risks for bleeding associated with Xarelto.Read [ $28M Xarelto Verdict Against J&J and Bayer ]
January 4, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Hartford, CT: Even though Pradaxa and a competitor were brought to market as an easier-to-manage alternative to warfarin, previously the gold standard for blood thinning, no one disputes the fact that all anti-coagulants carry a risk for bleeding events. However, it is alleged in Pradaxa lawsuits that some blood thinners carry a greater risk for bleeding events than others.Read [ Pradaxa Lawsuits Allege Pradaxa Bleeding Risk, Insufficient Warnings ]
December 4, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Toronto, ON: In tandem with oft-cited Pradaxa bleeding associated with the frequently-prescribed blood thinner, a new concern has emerged from a Canadian study suggesting that Pradaxa use with certain statins can heighten the risk for bleeding for patients suffering from atrial fibrillation.Read [ Pradaxa Bleeding Risk Increased With Certain Statins: Study ]
November 4, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Boston, MA: Having already paid out $650 million in settlement dollars over lawsuits in 2014, attorneys for the makers of dabigatran Pradaxa are busy attempting to escape a wrongful death lawsuit scheduled for December. It would be the first federal lawsuit over Pradaxa, set to commence next month.Read [ Manufacturer Attempts to Escape Federal Pradaxa Wrongful Death Lawsuit ]
October 3, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Hartford, CT: Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals (Boehringer) was the first to lob a new anti-coagulant into a marketplace crying for an easier way to manage or reduce the risk of stroke and systemic embolism in patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation. However dabigatran (Pradaxa), according to various Pradaxa lawsuits, did not turn out to be the savior it was touted to become, with plaintiffs alleging that Boehringer failed to adequately disclose the lack of a reversing agent.Read [ Pradaxa Lawsuits Keep Coming ]
September 1, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Hartford, CT: As we move into September and an end to the summer season with a return to classes, it’s instructive to revisit the onset of summer two years ago and the $650 million Pradaxa side effects settlement offered by Pradaxa manufacturer Boehringer Ingelheim over its troubled new-age blood thinner.Read [ Pradaxa Bleeding Event Lawsuits Continue to Flow Unabated ]
August 12, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Pradaxa v. Warfarin ]
Washington, DC If you need an anticoagulant and are given a choice of Pradaxa or warfarin, chances are you would not opt for Pradaxa, unless you wanted to bleed to death.
April 30, 2015. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ How Soon Could Pradaxa Have an Antidote? ]
Washington, DC One of the biggest concerns about Pradaxa side effects, and the side effects of other new generation anticoagulants, is that there is no approved antidote for certain adverse events. Pradaxa lawsuits have alleged that the maker of the drug did not warn patients about the lack of an antidote, putting them at risk of Pradaxa bleeding events. Now comes word that a Pradaxa antidote could be along in the near future.
September 26, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Xarelto Side Effects Reportedly Surpassing Pradaxa ]
Washington, DC Although it is a relatively new drug on the market, Xarelto side effects reports have reportedly surpassed those of rival drug Pradaxa, according to one organization. Both drugs are anticoagulants and both have been linked to an increased risk of bleeding complications. But while some Pradaxa lawsuits have been settled, Xarelto litigation is just now gearing up.
September 9, 2014. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Xarelto Litigation Story Still Unfolding ]
Louisville, KY Attorney David Koon sees more litigation ahead for anticoagulant Xarelto. Some is already in progress, but given the drug’s similarity to Praxada, another oral blood thinner with similar properties, Koon’s firm, Hughes & Coleman, is already preparing for failure to warn and product liability cases on behalf of people injured by Xarelto.
- Following Suit: Pradaxa and Xarelto Lawsuit Updates By Heidi Turner (Aug-20-14)
- Pradaxa and Actos: Is Non-Preservation of Documents an Emerging Trend? By Gordon Gibb (May-18-14)
- Attorney: Patients Did Not Realize Pradaxa Has No Antidote By Heidi Turner (May-8-14)
- Until The Bleeding Stops, Pradaxa Side Effects Remain a Concern By Gordon Gibb (Dec-10-12)
- Pradaxa: a Flawed Drug Due to Bleeding By Gordon Gibb (Nov-7-12)
- FAA Still Concerned About Pradaxa Side Effects By Heidi Turner (Oct-24-12)
- Pradaxa Fast Track: No Place for Bleeding Hearts By Gordon Gibb (Oct-7-12)
- Report Blasts FDA for Pradaxa Approval By Heidi Turner (Sep-26-12)
- Pradaxa Attorney: "There is No Antidote [to Pradaxa]" By Heidi Turner (Sep-14-12)
- The Jury is Still Out on Pradaxa Benefits and Risks By Gordon Gibb (Sep-1-12)
- Attorney Jeff Lowe: Pradaxa Associated with Uncontrollable Bleeding By Heidi Turner (Aug-16-12)
- Study Finds No Increased Risk of Pradaxa Side Effects By Heidi Turner (Jul-25-12)
- Report: Doctors Concerned About Pradaxa Side Effects By Heidi Turner (Jun-20-12)
- Daughters Allege Their Mother Died From Pradaxa Bleeding By Gordon Gibb (May-28-12)
- Concerns Raised about Pradaxa Side Effects By Heidi Turner (Apr-25-12)
- Man Dies from Reported Pradaxa Side Effects By Heidi Turner (Mar-29-12)
- Is Pradaxa the Savior It Promised to Be? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-22-12)
- Study Suggests Pradaxa Side Effects By Heidi Turner (Jan-13-12)
- FDA Evaluating Pradaxa Bleeding Reports By Charles Benson (Dec-20-11)
- FDA to Monitor Bleeding Events with Pradaxa By Lucy Campbell (Dec-9-11)