July 2, 2012. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ GSK to Pay $3 Billion to Settle Criminal Charges on Avandia, Paxil and Wellbutrin ]
Washington, DC In what is being touted as the largest case of healthcare fraud in US history, GlaxoSmithKline Plc (GSK) is pleading guilty to misdemeanor criminal charges and will pay $3 billion in settlement of those charges relating to its drugs Paxil, Wellbutrin, and Avandia.
June 15, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Paxil Side Effects Can Include Double Risk of Pre-Term Labor ]
Nashville, TN On the surface it's an alarming finding, and while other factors may be at play the concern remains that for each SSRI prescription an expectant mom fills during the second trimester of her pregnancy, her odds of going into premature labor can double. Such is this latest concern over Paxil side effects—a popular antidepressant in the class identified as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI).
June 4, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Study Questions Paxil Side Effects ]
Memphis, TN Yet another study has been conducted that suggests infants may be susceptible to Paxil side effects and side effects from other, similar medications. Although the study did not examine the risk of Paxil heart defects, it did study what effect maternal use of an SSRI had on a newborn infant. The study found that there is some risk of Paxil side effects, and other antidepressant side effects in infants exposed to the medication prior to birth.
May 17, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Study Suggests SSRI Publication Bias ]
San Diego, CA A recent study, suggesting that SSRI medications may not be effective in treating behaviors associated with autism, may add to the confusion about using SSRI medications while pregnant. Women who are concerned about Paxil side effects and the risk of Paxil birth defects when infants are exposed to SSRIs before birth may have more reason for concern about Paxil heart defects with the publication of the study.
May 9, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Paxil Heart Defects: Will Mothers Ever Be Sure? ]
Washington, DC "Now they're going to think for the rest of their lives that it was her fault because she took Paxil." Adrienne Einarson, semiretired assistant director of Motherisk in Toronto, was commenting on the debate that continues to boil surrounding antidepressants and pregnancy. Some studies have linked Paxil side effects and birth defects in babies. Other studies have been inconclusive. Still others have found no greater risk. Most find the risk to be small.
April 8, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Yet Another Entry on a Growing List of Paxil Side Effects ]
Montreal, PQ The more serious side of Paxil side effects—namely, the potential for Paxil birth defects in children born of mothers continuing to take paroxetine (Paxil) and other SSRI antidepressants—has been known for some time. It was in 2005 that Paxil manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline initiated a study that subsequently identified the risk for birth defects. Late last year, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) included Paxil on a watch list.
March 23, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Risk for Paxil Birth Defect Not the Only Concern with Depression ]
Washington, DC The debate over the wisdom in stopping SSRI antidepressants before pregnancy to minimize Paxil side effects impacting the newborn, v. the risk to the mother if her medication is paused, continues to rage as evidenced by a recent report in the Detroit Free Press (3/11/12).
February 23, 2012. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Pregnant Women Balance Paxil Birth Defects, Untreated Depression ]
Washington, DC Upon learning that they are pregnant, many women are able to nix the sushi, alcohol and caffeine, but antidepressants are a different issue. Despite the associated risks with a variety of medications and Paxil side effects, some women continue to use the drugs, The Baltimore Sun reported.
February 16, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Are Paxil Side Effects a Serious Concern? ]
Aspen, CO Ever since pregnant women have been prescribed medications, concerns about the risks associated with those medications, such as the risk of Paxil side effects have been a source of debate. While some people are concerned that the risk of Paxil birth defects is too high, others argue that the risk associated with untreated depression during pregnancy is equally alarming. Caught in the middle are pregnant women, and those who have filed a Paxil lawsuit, alleging their baby was born with heart defects after exposure to the antidepressant.
January 28, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Paxil Side Effects the Ultimate Catch 22 ]
New York, NY Paxil appears to be among those drugs that might qualify under "damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't" status. Paxil side effects are many and varied, serving as a trigger for many a Paxil lawsuit. And yet, in spite of continued warnings by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) that link the antidepressant to such adverse reactions as birth defects, proponents continue to sing its praises and the debate continues…
- Study Finds Link between Paxil and Birth Defects By Heidi Turner (Jan-19-12)
- Despite Paxil Side Effects, Eleven Percent of Americans Use Antidepressants By Charles Benson (Jan-10-12)
- FDA Issues Information about Reported Paxil Side Effects By Heidi Turner (Dec-21-11)
- Coming Out from the Shadow of Paxil Birth Defects By Gordon Gibb (Dec-13-11)
- GlaxoSmithKline to Pay $3 Billion to Settle Paxil, Avandia Investigations By Heidi Turner (Nov-26-11)
- Kansas to Receive $700,000 in Paxil Lawsuit Settlement By Charles Benson (Aug-27-11)
- Could Autism Be a Paxil Birth Defect? By Gordon Gibb (Jul-13-11)
- Potential Paxil Side Effects Pose Challenging Decision By Heidi Turner (Jun-18-11)
- Playing Solomon over Paxil Birth Defects By Gordon Gibb (Jun-11-11)
- Study Finds Possible New Paxil Side Effect By Heidi Turner (Jun-2-11)
- GlaxoSmithKline Attorney Acquitted in Case Involving Paxil Side Effects By Charles Benson (May-20-11)
- Concerns Mount over Paxil Side Effects By Gordon Gibb (May-9-11)
- Do Paxil Side Effects Include a Risk of Breast Cancer? By Heidi Turner (Apr-15-11)
- Three Months By Gordon Gibb (Apr-9-11)
- Lawsuit Alleges Paxil Birth Defects By Heidi Turner (Mar-30-11)
- Despite Questions about Antidepressant Effectiveness, Some Doctors Are Prescribing More By Heidi Turner (Mar-14-11)
- Paxil Birth Defects: When Important Data Is Allegedly Pushed through the Cracks By Gordon Gibb (Mar-6-11)
- More Paxil Cases Reportedly Set for Court By Heidi Turner (Feb-17-11)
- With Paxil an FDA Category D, will other Antidepressants Follow? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-7-11)
- Are Paxil Birth Defects Linked to Problems at Former Plant? By Gordon Gibb (Jan-19-11)
- Whistleblower Alleges Problems with Paxil Doses By Heidi Turner (Jan-9-11)
- Will We Ever Know for Sure if Paxil Causes Paxil Birth Defects? By Gordon Gibb (Dec-29-10)
- 2010 a Year for Paxil Birth Defects Plaintiffs to Remember By Heidi Turner (Dec-25-10)
- Paxil Suit Is Still On! By Brenda Craig (Dec-24-10)
- Mixed Results in Recent Paxil Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Dec-8-10)
- Paxil Birth Defect Trial Tossed Out of Court By Gordon Gibb (Dec-1-10)
- Paxil Birth Defects Trial Underway By Heidi Turner (Nov-17-10)
- He Killed His Own Son While on Paxil By Gordon Gibb (Oct-22-10)
- Paxil Plaintiff Settles Birth Defects Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Oct-20-10)
- Paxil May Not Be Linked to Decrease in Suicide Rates By Heidi Turner (Oct-2-10)
- Researchers: Cataracts a Potential Paxil Side Effect By Heidi Turner (Sep-16-10)
- Concerns over Drug Given to Vets for PTSD By Charles Benson (Sep-8-10)
- Paxil Researcher Pleads Guilty to Charges By Heidi Turner (Sep-2-10)
- Another Paxil Birth Defects Lawsuit Filed By Heidi Turner (Aug-15-10)
- GlaxoSmithKline Settles Paxil Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Aug-4-10)
- Glaxo Settles Paxil Side Effects Lawsuits, Average Settlement $1.2 Million By Gordon Gibb (Jul-28-10)
- Plaintiffs Hoping for More Paxil Birth Defects Settlements By Heidi Turner (Jul-5-10)
- Paxil Birth Defect Cases Continue on the Road to Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Jun-29-10)
- Paxil Can Cause Heart Defect in Newborns By Charles Benson (Jun-21-10)
- More Questions About Paxil Side Effects By Heidi Turner (May-29-10)