New York Labor Violations Articles
January 15, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
New York, NY: A New York overtime lawsuit that did not succeed as a class action nonetheless will culminate in a settlement $325,000, making it a happy new year for 18 plaintiffs in the New York employer lawsuit against Citigroup Inc.Read [ IT Workers Settle New York Labor Lawsuit with Citigroup ]
March 13, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Papa John’s Franchisee Hit with $2 Million New York Labor Law Judgment ]
New York, NY A New York judge and the Attorney General of the state have both signaled through their actions that New York labor law will not be allowed to flounder at the hands of employers who are alleged to play unfairly in the employment sandbox. To that end, a Papa John’s franchisee has been hit with a $2 million judgment for allegedly underpaying employees.
January 27, 2014. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Denied New York Overtime a Real Problem for Reality TV Writers, Producers ]
New York, NY When it comes to violations pertaining to New York overtime, you can’t get any more real than those working in the reality TV industry. It’s a sector that employs a large number of individuals, and according to a survey of producers and writers recently conducted by the Writers Guild America East, a large number of them are cheated out of overtime.
August 8, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Firing “At-Will” Not the End of the Story ]
New Rochelle, NY Even in at-will states, there is room for a wrongful termination complaint if the fired employee was terminated as a result of discrimination or was terminated in violation of several laws. New York employment law and federal employment law allow an employee to file a New York employment lawsuit if the firing violated federal or New York labor laws.
March 29, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Lawyer Spots Sea Change in Wage and Hour Court Battles ]
Jericho, NY Judges recently dismissed a wage and hour overtime case brought against a group of Catholic Hospitals on Long Island by a respiratory therapist and two nurses.
February 3, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Interns, Charlie Rose Inc. Settle New York Labor Law Dispute ]
New York, NY In what could be a landmark New York employment case, an incorporated company representing the well-known broadcast journalist and television host Charlie Rose has agreed to pay a settlement valued at $250,000 to a class of interns who claimed they were not paid while working on the Charlie Rose show. The New York Times (12/20/12) also reported that Charlie Rose Inc. agreed to pay $50,000 in legal costs borne by the class plaintiffs.
January 21, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Massive Computer Glitch Triggers New York Overtime, Wage Debacle ]
Syracuse, NY Sometimes, something designed to improve a situation actually makes it worse. Such was the case for an expensive new computer system costing hundreds of millions of dollars that only served to trigger a New York overtime debacle of grand proportions.
December 13, 2012. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ New York Labor Law Designed to Protect Workers ]
New York, NY And now, a potpourri of New York employment: A nurse whose employment was terminated after 24 years at Good Samaritan Hospital: and various employees of a restaurant on hard times who have been told by the restaurant's owner that he refuses to pay them because in his view lousy service by his New York employees drove customers away.
November 25, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ New York Employers Face Employment Lawsuits ]
New York, NY A New York steakhouse has agreed to settle a New York employment lawsuit, alleging male waiters were subjected to sexual harassment from their manager. Meanwhile, in a different New York employment lawsuit, the NBA faces charges of discrimination while Hurricane Sandy has now resulted in a New York overtime lawsuit.
October 12, 2012. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ New York Overtime Lawsuit Has Aspects of Hollywood ]
New York, NY A New York overtime lawsuit, which alleges violations of New York employment law, has Hollywood connections. The New York state labor law claim, filed on behalf of Fox Entertainment Group interns, alleges Fox routinely violated employment laws in how interns were treated.
- In New York Overtime Settlement, Officers Will Get Their Due By Gordon Gibb (Sep-2-12)
- Apple Faces New York Employment Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jan-4-11)
- Record New York Labor Law Compliance Award By Gordon Gibb (Jul-23-10)
- New York Employment Violations: Zero Tolerance By Jane Mundy (May-5-10)
- Building Workers Plan Strike over New York Labor Law By Charles Benson (Apr-17-10)
- Former Boyfriend Hits Lady Gaga with Employment Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Mar-25-10)
- Class Action Lawsuit Claims Beverage Distributor Violated New York Labor Law By Charles Benson (Feb-17-10)
- Upscale Restaurant in Alleged Violation of Federal and New York Labor Law By Gordon Gibb (Jan-6-10)
- New York Employment Lawsuit Filed Against Cipriani's By Jane Mundy (Dec-24-09)
- More Restaurants Found in Violation of New York Labor Law By Charles Benson (Dec-16-09)
- New York labor law: Getting $1 per day constitutes work By Charles Benson (Oct-19-09)
- New York Employment Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Oct-10-09)
- Student Workers' Wages Withheld Unlawfully While Working in the US By Delsia Hartford (Mar-17-08)
- One New York City Employer not Taking Time with Paying Overtime By Delsia Hartford (Feb-20-08)