Computer Programmers Overtime Articles
May 1, 2011. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ IT Overtime and Severance: Confusing the Issue ]
Houston, TX Issues surrounding IT overtime are often complicated by whether or not an employee has been classed as exempt. As demanding and complex a job as IT is, determining who is exempt from claiming overtime and who isn't can be just as confusing. Add to that the attempts by some employers to stroke their bottom line by miss-classifying a deserving employee as overtime exempt, and you have a situation fraught with issues and unfairness.
July 26, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ California Judge Approves IT Overtime Lawsuit Settlement ]
San Jose, CA A California judge recently gave his preliminary approval of a $5 million settlement to end an IT overtime lawsuit.
May 21, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ IBM Faces off Against the State of Indiana in New IT Overtime Lawsuit ]
Indianapolis, IN The state of Indiana and computer support giant IBM are currently embroiled in a contentious IT overtime lawsuit over a terminated outsourcing deal which had intended to allow the company to overhaul and modernize the state's welfare eligibility system.
June 4, 2009. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ California Labor Law: More on Overtime for IT Workers ]
San Jose, CA According to the California Labor Law, most IT workers are entitled to California overtime for computer professionals. Job duties trump job descriptions and many employees are not performing managerial tasks, thus making them misclassified as exempt. The California labor code states that tasks performed determine whether or not IT professionals are entitled to overtime pay.
May 12, 2009. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ California IT Overtime: What is the Limit? ]
Sherman Oaks As most everyone working in IT knows, California IT overtime is just 'part of the job'. But where do you draw the line—50 hours? Sixty hours? Ariel works 60-plus hours if he adds up work performed at home (which should be included). "I just want to know where I stand regarding overtime compensation," says Ariel, who intends to seek legal help.
May 2, 2009. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ "On Call" Restrictions an Issue with California IT Overtime ]
San Francisco, CA Alan works for a goliath IT company and he is often required to do 24/7 "on-call" shifts, but the company says they are not required to pay California IT Overtime. This similar rationale applies to just about any position related to information technology. However, Alan believes he is justifiably owed , overtime. " For the past two years, I am owed upwards of $200,000 in overtime compensation and that doesn't even include this year," says Alan.
April 27, 2009. By Gordon Gibb.
Sacramento, CA: If you are a California IT professional you would be forgiven for feeling victimized as the result of all the recent changes to California Labor Law that impact negatively on you. California IT overtime and the ensuing lost ground, has been the one issue that has galvanized the industry in recent years.Read [ California IT Overtime: There May be a Loophole ]
April 15, 2009. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ The Real Deal is a Raw Deal: California IT Overtime ]
Sacramento, CA If you are a California software developer, or a California computer professional of any kind this will come as no surprise to you. However this may come as a shock to anyone who isn't a part of the IT world and not conversant with the California IT overtime issue. And if you have a computer IT friend, ring him up and talk some sense into him.
April 8, 2009. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ California IT Overtime: Class Action Lawsuit Gives Employees Hope ]
Santa Clara, CA Employees who are not paid for their California IT overtime may be able to take heart: a California computer professional lawsuit, alleging unpaid overtime, has been granted class action status. Although this is not an indication that California software developers will win their lawsuits, this does give the plaintiffs in the class action lawsuit more power in the case than if class action status had not been granted.
March 30, 2009. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Are California Software Engineers Getting a Fair Shake ]
Silicon Valley, CA Remember that $65 million IBM award a few years ago that had Big Blue crying the blues? That happened because somewhere, at some time somebody spoke up. How many California software developers are speaking up now? Especially since changes to California IT overtime exemption rates have the California computer professional making a lot less than he used to.
- California IT Professionals Stuck Between Two Worlds By Heidi Turner (Mar-17-09)
- Lawsuit Alleges Apple Abuses IT Employees By Heidi Turner (Mar-9-09)
- California IT Overtime: Are You Asking the Right Questions? By Gordon Gibb (Feb-23-09)
- California IT Overtime: Employers Operate with "Impunity" By Heidi Turner (Feb-17-09)
- California IT Professionals: Fighting for Proper Overtime Pay By Heidi Turner (Feb-10-09)
- Computer Programmers Owed Overtime Pay By Heidi Turner (Jan-29-09)
- IT Overtime Lawsuits: A California Labor Law Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jan-26-09)
- IT Giveth, IT Taketh Away… By Gordon Gibb (Jan-21-09)
- California IT Overtime Attorney Scott Cooper By Heidi Turner (Jan-15-09)
- California IT Professionals: Making No Money for Working Overtime By Heidi Turner (Jan-10-09)
- California IT Overtime: Computer Programmers Taken Advantage Of By Heidi Turner (Jan-1-09)
- Your Thanks for Working Through the Weekend: A Pat on the Back By Gordon Gibb (Dec-21-08)
- IT Overtime: It's All About Controlling Costs By Gordon Gibb (Mar-13-08)
- IT Overtime: "We're treated like Serf Laborers" By Jane Mundy (Mar-2-08)
- Big Business Fights Back Over Information Technology Overtime Claims By Brenda Frohloff (Aug-16-07)
- Million-dollar settlement in Unpaid IT Overtime Lawsuit By Brenda Frohloff (Aug-9-07)
- Universal Music Group IT Workers Start Class Action for Overtime Pay By Brenda Frohloff (Jul-31-07)
- IT Overtime Abuse By Jane Mundy (Jul-18-07)
- Programmer Overtime: Time to Change the Law By Jane Mundy (May-29-07)
- Overworked and Underpaid: Portrait of a California IT Worker By Nate Hendley (May-23-07)
- Overtime: Not All States are Created Equally By Jane Mundy (May-15-07)
- I.T. Overtime: California Dreamin' By Gordon Gibb (May-7-07)
- Computer Programmer Overtime: All in a Day's Pay By Jane Mundy (May-4-07)
- IT Overtime California - Companies Make Money Off Employee Overtime By Heidi Turner (Apr-1-07)