Hip and Knee Replacement Articles
January 26, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Cruz, CA:The study, published in the Bone & Joint Journal, finds that the rate of metal-on-metal (MoM) hip implant patients undergoing revision has increased over time. Researchers at the Universities of Oxford and Bristol have suggested the observed differences are in part due to increased patient surveillance. In the U.S., patient surveillance is pretty much left up to the patient.Read [ Tracking Systems in the U.K Key to Care for Hip Implant Patients, But Non-Existent in the U.S. ]
December 24, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Dallas, TX: In a recent hip replacement trial, plaintiffs’ lawyer showed to the jury records whereby DePuy paid its Pinnacle hip "design surgeons" more than $184 million in royalties that he argued were kickbacks. And jurors watched a video of a 2008 DePuy sales conference themed “Taking Share of Business”. To the lyrics of “Takin’ Care of Business” by the rock group Bachman-Turner Overdrive, DePuy’s former top marketer leads a parade with costumed alligators, a bloodied man with a hatchet and a giant metal hip implant. The plaintiffs won.Read [ DePuy Hip’s Million Dollar Surgeons “Taking Share of Business” ]
November 26, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Boston, MA: With the date for the first bellwether hip replacement implant failure trial involving failed Stryker femoral heads now established for September, 2019 attention has shifted to a compelling questionnaire the Howmedica defense team has issued to plaintiffs as part of the deposition process.Read [ Stryker Defective Hip Implant Lawsuit Plaintiff Survey Deemed ‘Intrusive’ ]
November 21, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Santa Clara, CA: It’s pretty much a straightforward decision for most of the 700,000 people in the U.S. who experience knee pain yearly: have a knee replacement or live the rest of your life in pain. But for some people implanted with a defective knee such as the DePuy Synthes Attune device, they made the wrong decision and the consequences have been brutal. As a result, they are filing knee replacement lawsuits against DePuy, alleging premature failure of the Attune device.Read [ DePuy Attune Knee Replacement Can Result in Physical, Emotional and Financial Pain ]
October 26, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Philadelphia, PA: Iris has been on a steady diet of Oxycodone for over a year because the pain from her hip replacement has been worsening. And three hip revision surgeries have just exacerbated the problem.Read [ Hip Replacement led to Sleep Deprivation and Oxycodone ]
October 16, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
San Jose, CA: Mike says he’s in worse shape now with his DePuy Synthes Attune knee replacement system than when he was injured after falling off a ladder. And he’s pissed off, to say the least.Read [ Depuy Attune Knee Victim “Pissed off that there’s No Way to Fix this Defect Without Litigation” ]
September 21, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Mobile, AL: An Alabama law firm has announced it has filed the first DePuy Synthes Attune knee lawsuit in the U.S., alleging premature failure of the knee replacement system.Read [ Three Strikes after Depuy Synthes Attune Knee, First Lawsuit is Filed ]
September 9, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
West Chester, PA: Evidence continues to mount that the DePuy Synthes Attune knee replacement device may be a defective product that can harm patients. There are many reasons for hip and knee implant failure, but a major culprit in the malfunction of Attune knees appears to be something rather technically referred to as “tibial baseplate failure,” or “debonding.” In everyday terms that means the artificial knee comes unglued from a patient’s lower leg.Read [ Coming Unglued – DePuy Synthes Attune Buckles at the Knees ]
August 27, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Kansas City, MO: Since Karen’s hip replacement two years ago, she has broken her foot, a toe and a tooth. She blames the broken bones on her Stryker hip implant and not being able to walk correctly.Read [ Stryker Hip Replacement Leads to more Broken Bones ]
August 17, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
St. Louis, MO: A judgement for the defendant made by a lower court was upheld on appeal, affirming the original finding in favor of DePuy Orthopaedics in a hip replacement implant failure lawsuit. And while there is little doubt the plaintiff suffered from her allegedly defective hip implant, issues with the testimony of an expert witness appeared to sink the case for the plaintiff.Read [ Summary Judgment for DePuy Upheld in Defective Hip Lawsuit ]
- Another DePuy Defective Hip Implant Lawsuit Heads to Trial By Anne Wallace (Aug-5-17)
- Hip Replacement and Cobalt Poisoning misdiagnosed as Alzheimer's By Jane Mundy (Aug-1-17)
- Mixed Metals at Core of Stryker LFIT V40 Hip Implants By Brenda Craig (Jul-27-17)
- Federal Judge Allows Hip Implant Lawsuit to Move Forward By Deb Hipp (Jul-3-17)
- Hip Replacement Patient says Better Off Without By Jane Mundy (Jun-28-17)
- Johnson & Johnson Asks For New Trial in $151 Million Hip Lawsuit Judgment By Deb Hipp (Jun-14-17)
- State-Based Stryker Hip Implant Failure Lawsuits Consolidated in New Jersey By Gordon Gibb (Jun-6-17)
- Defective Hip Implant Makers Busy with Recalls, Lawsuits and Settlements By Jane Mundy (May-31-17)
- Judge Awards $2 Million Verdict in Defective Hip Implant Lawsuit By Deb Hipp (May-21-17)
- Lawsuits Mount for Stryker Over Allegedly Failed Medical Devices By Gordon Gibb (May-7-17)
- Odd Ruling in Hip Implant Failure Lawsuit? By Gordon Gibb (Apr-23-17)
- Stryker Hip Implant Lawsuits Head to Boston Multidistrict Litigation By Deb Hipp (Apr-15-17)
- Three implants, Two Revisions, One Chance Left By Gordon Gibb (Apr-5-17)
- Despite Steep Reduction in Award, Plaintiff’s Defective Hip Implant Verdict Appealed By Gordon Gibb (Mar-21-17)
- Hoping for a Hassle-Free Hip Implant a Roll of the Dice By Gordon Gibb (Mar-7-17)
- Defective Hip Implants: Newer Isn’t Always Better By Gordon Gibb (Mar-1-17)
- Stryker Hip Replacement Lawsuit Can Proceed By Gordon Gibb (Nov-23-16)
- DePuy Bellwether Drags On, While Canada Approves Zimmer Class Action Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Nov-13-16)
- $240 Million Settlement Agreed in Wright Defective Hip Implant MDL By Lucy Campbell (Nov-10-16)
- Stryker Continues to Sail a Restless Sea, Rejuvenate Lawsuits Continue By Gordon Gibb (Oct-1-16)
- New DePuy Hip Implant Lawsuit Filed While Bellwether Cases Move Forward By Heidi Turner (Jan-31-16)
- $11M Awarded in Bellwether Wright Conserve Hip Implant MDL By Lucy Campbell (Nov-26-15)
- Hip & Knee Implant Failure No Reason to Impede Expansion Plans By Gordon Gibb (Feb-25-15)
- Failed Hip & Knee Replacement Settlements Can Also Fail Plaintiffs By Gordon Gibb (Jan-14-15)
- It’s Good to Be Hip, Not Good to Be Had… By Gordon Gibb (Jul-26-14)
- Hip and Knee Replacements Leave Victims Wheelchair-Bound By Jane Mundy (Jul-17-14)
- Johnson & Johnson Settles State Allegations regarding Hip Implant Failures By Heidi Turner (Jul-8-14)
- A Million Hip and Knee Devices a Year, a Million Reasons for Concern By Gordon Gibb (Jun-23-14)
- Hip & Knee Replacement Implant Failure Always a Possibility By Gordon Gibb (Jun-6-14)
- Study Backs Claims of Hip Replacement Problems By Heidi Turner (May-23-14)
- Two Strikes with Stryker By Jane Mundy (Jan-13-14)
- “My Lawyer Says I Have a Good Claim against Zimmer NexGen” By Jane Mundy (Jan-12-14)
- Stryker Hip Recall “Rubbed Me the Wrong Way” By Jane Mundy (Jun-26-13)
- Lawsuit Status Update: The Latest on Stryker Hip MDL By Lucy Campbell (Jun-7-13)
- Knee Replacement Triggers Airport Metal Detectors By Jane Mundy (Apr-7-13)
- Hip & Knee Implant Replacement Failure: New Is Not Always Improved By Gordon Gibb (Mar-10-13)
- Smith & Nephew Hip Implant Patient Diagnosed with Metallosis By Jane Mundy (Mar-3-13)
- Massive Hip & Knee Failure Rates, First Trial Underway in California By Gordon Gibb (Feb-24-13)
- Attorney says There’s Light at the End of the Hip and Knee Lawsuit Tunnel By Jane Mundy (Feb-10-13)
- Hip and Knee Patient with MS at Her “Wit’s End” By Jane Mundy (Feb-4-13)