Florida Employment Law Articles
June 10, 2016. By Jane Mundy.
Tallahassee, FL: If you ever had a Florida labor law or Florida employment case involving Workers’ Compensation, you likely found it difficult to find legal representation, unless you were able to pay attorney fees to obtain benefits. But the Florida Supreme Court has recently ruled that you will no longer be on the hook for legal fees.Read [ Florida Workers’ Compensation Law Unconstitutional ]
August 24, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Florida Lawsuits Allege Improprieties against Burger King, Franchisees ]
Lake County, FL A former worker at a Burger King restaurant in Lake County has taken his former employer to court alleging violations to Florida Employment and other labor statutes under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), alleging his former employer altered time cards in order to avoid paying overtime.
February 15, 2014. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Employee Appealing to Florida Labor Law in Wrongful Termination ]
Pensacola, FL Demetrius was a cook in a nursing home until last month. “I couldn’t get to work because I was stuck in an ice storm so I was fired for missing one day,” says Demetrius. “I believe I was wrongfully terminated and my employer violated the Florida labor law.”
April 18, 2011. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Is Proposed Bill a Step Backward for Florida Employment? ]
Tallahassee, FL A new law proposed to govern Florida Employment would strike down any current effort to protect the rights of low-wage earners and appears to be pointed directly at an ordinance brought in at the county level by Miami-Dade last year. To that end, an opinion piece that appeared April 14 in the Miami Herald takes the view that the proposed law is a step backward.
March 4, 2011. By Charles Benson.
Read [ House Committee Approves Changes to Florida Labor Law ]
Tallahassee, FL The House Finance and Tax Committee recently approved new changes to Florida labor law that would reportedly make it more difficult to qualify for unemployment benefits, the Florida Times-Union reports.
February 18, 2011. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Florida Labor Law Requiring Unemployed to Volunteer Considered ]
Tallahassee, FL A state lawmaker is looking to create a Florida labor law that would require those who are unemployed to volunteer in order to receive their unemployment checks, Fox News reports.
February 3, 2011. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Florida County Ordinance Moving Up to Florida State Labor Law ]
Miami, FL A bit of a battle appears to be brewing between supporters of a wage law enacted at the county level in the Sunshine State, and a proposed new Florida Employment law that would likely accomplish a similar goal with regard to the prevention of wage theft. Meanwhile, the wage theft ordinance enacted in Miami-Dade, located in the southeast sector of the state, has been challenged in court.
December 21, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Union Claims City Violates Florida Labor Law ]
Cape Coral, FL The Cape Coral, Florida police union claims that the city is violating Florida labor law by forcing 11 officers to pay back $96,000 in raises associated with college credits the officers did not earn, the News-Press reports.
December 14, 2010. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Contractor Cited in Florida Employment Case for Safety ]
Jacksonville, FL A contractor that allegedly put workers from the Sunshine State in potential danger has been cited for Florida Employment safety violations, according to the US Department of Labor. In this case the alleged violations involved inadequate protection for workers while trenching along a highway, posing a risk for injury from cave-in hazards.
November 19, 2010. By Charles Benson.
Read [ Universities Receive $10 Million to Help Florida Employment ]
Tallahassee, FL In an attempt to boost Florida employment and the economy, State University System Chancellor Frank Brogan recently announced that $10 million was awarded to 11 universities in the state, the Sunshine State News reports.
- Disgruntled Employees Sue Dollar Tree Alleging Florida Employment Violations By Gordon Gibb (Nov-11-10)
- Florida Labor Law Forcing Rising Costs in Tampa Pension Funds By Charles Benson (Oct-22-10)
- Stiffed Servers Fighting for Fair Florida Employment Treatment By Gordon Gibb (Oct-8-10)
- Did Fired Florida Bartender Work for Four Cents an Hour? By Gordon Gibb (Sep-26-10)
- Florida Employment Law: Employees Should Check into Potential Claims By Heidi Turner (Sep-24-10)
- Florida Employment Central in Governor's Race By Charles Benson (Sep-9-10)
- New Interpretation of FMLA Has Major Implications for Florida Labor Law By Charles Benson (Aug-27-10)
- Timeshare Schedulers Getting Their Due in Florida Employment Matter By Gordon Gibb (Aug-19-10)
- Longtime University Employee Fired Ten Months Shy of Full Pension By Gordon Gibb (Aug-8-10)
- Workers Who Fall Through Cracks of Florida Labor Law Now Have an Option By Gordon Gibb (May-12-10)
- IRS Searches for Violations of Florida Employment Law By Charles Benson (Feb-18-10)
- Florida Employment Harassment Case "Out of a Bad Movie" By Gordon Gibb (Jan-16-10)
- Transgender Teen Files Discrimination Claim under Florida Employment Law By Charles Benson (Dec-21-09)
- Rise in Unemployment Tax Could Hurt Florida Employment By Gordon Gibb (Dec-7-09)
- Whistleblower attacks hospital for violating Florida labor law By Charles Benson (Nov-14-09)
- Florida Employees File Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Oct-19-09)