LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONHome Page >> Unum Insurance >> Articles
December 6, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Unum: the Gift of Giving and Taking Away ]
Chicago, IL: Yet another lawsuit was filed in November against First Unum for allegedly denying long-term disability benefits. In the same month, Unum announced to the media that it had donated $300,000 to a high-school girls’ leadership program.
November 15, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Unum’s Denial of Opioid Overdose Deaths ]
New Orleans, LA: The giant insurance company Unum—also known as First Unum -- typically denies accidental death benefits (as do most other life insurance companies) by excluding in their policy coverage for deaths related to prescription overdose or for medical or surgical treatment of a sickness or disease. But Unum’s denial didn’t sway Judge Martin Feldman this past August.
October 15, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ UNUM LTD Claimants Must Beware of Exhaustion of Remedies Roadblock ]
Chattanooga, TN On September 25, 2018, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals granted UNUM Life Insurance’s motion for summary judgment, thus ending Richard Ravenscraft’s UNUM disability lawsuit on the grounds that he had not exhausted administrative remedies. These are the rocks on which many long term disability lawsuits have been dashed.
September 13, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Dentist Claims Injury, Unum Claims Sickness to Deny ]
San Diego, CA: A dental surgeon has filed a bad faith lawsuit against Unum, or First Unum after the giant insurer denied his long term disability benefits claiming his injury is a sickness. The Unum lawsuit claims that Unum denied the dentist his rightful benefits to protect their own interests.
Disability Claims Consultant Explains Unum’s Latest Practice to Dispute or Deny Long Term Disability Benefits
August 14, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Disability Claims Consultant Explains Unum’s Latest Practice to Dispute or Deny Long Term Disability Benefits ]
Santa Clara, CA: As a disability claims consultant and former Unum employee, Linda Nee knows just about every trick in the insurance company’s books to dispute and deny disability benefits to claimants. She says that Unum, or First Unum is “nickel and diming” its policy holders by alleging overpayments associated with SSDI and other monthly earnings offsets, including Retirement Income.
July 17, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
Read [ Court Orders Unum Doctor to Reveal How Much He Was Paid for His Opinion ]
New Orleans, LA Unum Group has come under scrutiny yet again for alleged deceptive practices. This time the insurance giant has lost a battle in the Wittmann v. Unum Life Insurance Co. litigation. Plaintiff attorney Anne Wittmann, who alleges that she was wrongfully denied disability benefits, subpoenaed financial records from James H. Bress, M.D., who Unum hired to review her claim. Unum Group fought back, by moving to quash the subpoena. On July 11, 2018, a Federal District Judge in Louisiana Ordered that the records be turned over so Plaintiffs can ascertain whether his opinion was swayed by a financial dependence on the insurance carrier.
June 22, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
Greeneville, TN: On May 14, 2018, Janet Mitchell, a former employee of the mega law firm Jones Day, filed a lawsuit against both Unum and Jones Day in a Tennessee Federal Court. Mitchell states that she suffers from a constellation of health conditions that prevent her from being able to work, including coronary artery disease, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, hypertension, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. She alleges that Unum denied her claim for long-term disability benefits even though several of her treating physicians provided Unum with medical reports supporting her claim. Yet Unum denied her claim without ever having one of its own physicians examine her. The lawsuit says the denial was issued in bad faith, in order for Unum Provident to meet its monthly target.Read [ Big Law Employee Sues Unum Group for Denial of Benefits ]
May 18, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
Ellicott City, MD: A former Maryland project manager for a real estate company has accused the Unum Group of suspending her monthly disability payments after 26 years of payments when she was elected to serve part-time on the Howard County Board of Education. Five years after notifying Unum life insurance that she had been elected to the Board of Education position, her benefits were terminated and she does not know why.Read [ Unum Insurance Lawsuits Gain Momentum ]
March 12, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Gibsonia, PA: Tucked in amongst a seemingly never-ending barrage of positivity stemming from the Unum camp with regard to investment, expansion and financial performance are the ever-lurking Unum insurance lawsuits alleging bad faith insurance and similar frustrations after an insurer that happily accepts monthly premiums suddenly does an about-face and pulls that plug when it comes time to pay up.Read [ A Tale of Two Unum Lawsuits ]
March 5, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC: Unum lawsuits frequently claim the insurance behemoth relies on unfair, inadequate or biased medical review to deny long term disability benefits. If and when the case goes to trial, courts tend to defer to whatever the plan administrator decided. A plaintiff could get depressed.Read [ A New Way for Unum Lawsuit Plaintiffs to Fight Biased Medical Review ]
- Diagnosed with Lyme Disease, Plaintiff is Denied by Unum Disability Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Feb-14-18)
- Unum Sued for Denial of Disability Benefits By Gordon Gibb (Feb-12-18)
- How to Think Like a Plaintiff in a Unum Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jan-24-18)
- New Year, New Unum Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jan-12-18)
- Disabled Pediatrician Sues Unum for Denied Long Term Disability By Gordon Gibb (Dec-17-17)
- How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Disability Benefits as Corporate Profits Rise By Gordon Gibb (Nov-14-17)
- Unum Group Appears as Innocent Bystander in Insurance Denial Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-17)
- Unum Lawsuits Face SSDI Offset Snag By Anne Wallace (Aug-13-17)
- Denied Disability Plaintiffs Overdue for Unum’s Cutting Board? By Jane Mundy (Jul-20-17)
- Two Unum Lawsuits Filed Within Days of One Another Claim Unfair Denial By Gordon Gibb (Jul-9-17)
- Unum’s Suspension of Benefits and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jun-11-17)
- An Award-Winning Employee Culture at Unum Can’t Stop Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (May-27-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Claims While Giving Away Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-8-17)
- NY Judge Won't Reassign Unum Disability Lawsuit Over Question of Impropriety By Deb Hipp (Feb-2-17)
- Disability Lawsuit filed, Others say ‘Bah Humbug’ to Unum By Gordon Gibb (Dec-30-16)
- SEC Filing Reveals Unum Bad Faith Insurance Class Action Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Nov-26-16)
- Unum’s “Gainful Employment” Spells Long Term Disability Denial By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-16)
- Unum Proposes Long-term Disability Rate Hikes, Seniors Furious By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-16)
- Unum’s Invasion of Privacy By Jane Mundy (Aug-3-16)
- Unum’s Outside Medical Examiners and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jul-2-16)
- “Don’t Ever Settle,” Advises Unum Policyholder By Jane Mundy (Jun-4-16)
- Judge Finds for Defendant in Unum Life Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (May-25-16)
- Unum Taketh and Giveth Away By Jane Mundy (May-14-16)
- Report: Unum Insurance Among the Worst By Heidi Turner (Apr-28-16)
- Unum’s Latest Bad Faith Practice By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-16)
- Unum Group Agrees to Settle Unum Lawsuit for $46 Million By Gordon Gibb (Mar-21-16)
- Another Illegal Practices Lawsuit against Unum By Jane Mundy (Mar-2-16)
- Disabled Veteran Denied Unum Benefits, Hired Crooked Attorney By Jane Mundy (Jan-6-16)
- Unum Health Insurance Still Bullies and Harasses By Jane Mundy (Nov-3-15)
- Unum Employee Denied Unum Disability Benefits By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-15)
- Ex-Wife Lies to Unum, Results in Denied Disability By Jane Mundy (Jul-1-15)
- Unum Denial Based on Nurse’s Recommendation By Jane Mundy (May-4-15)
- Unum’s Charitable Donations Sure to Infuriate Policyholders’ Denied Disability Benefits By Jane Mundy (Mar-4-15)
- One Point for Unum By Jane Mundy (Feb-1-15)
- “Unum Believes It Trumps Doctors - Lawsuit Filed” By Jane Mundy (Jan-2-15)
- Unum Terminates Depression Claim, Just in Time for Christmas By Jane Mundy (Dec-1-14)
- More Denied Disability Lawsuits against Unum By Jane Mundy (Nov-1-14)
- Nurse Says Unum Ordered Her Back to Work, but She Might Kill Someone! By Jane Mundy (Oct-5-14)
- Unum Denies and Policyholders in Denial By Jane Mundy (Sep-7-14)