May 18, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
Ellicott City, MD: A former Maryland project manager for a real estate company has accused the Unum Group of suspending her monthly disability payments after 26 years of payments when she was elected to serve part-time on the Howard County Board of Education. Five years after notifying Unum life insurance that she had been elected to the Board of Education position, her benefits were terminated and she does not know why.Read [ Unum Insurance Lawsuits Gain Momentum ]
March 12, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Gibsonia, PA: Tucked in amongst a seemingly never-ending barrage of positivity stemming from the Unum camp with regard to investment, expansion and financial performance are the ever-lurking Unum insurance lawsuits alleging bad faith insurance and similar frustrations after an insurer that happily accepts monthly premiums suddenly does an about-face and pulls that plug when it comes time to pay up.Read [ A Tale of Two Unum Lawsuits ]
March 5, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC: Unum lawsuits frequently claim the insurance behemoth relies on unfair, inadequate or biased medical review to deny long term disability benefits. If and when the case goes to trial, courts tend to defer to whatever the plan administrator decided. A plaintiff could get depressed.Read [ A New Way for Unum Lawsuit Plaintiffs to Fight Biased Medical Review ]
February 14, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
San Diego, CA: A medical professional who could no longer fulfill the functions of her occupation due to a diagnosis of Lyme disease, had her long term disability benefits claim denied by her LTD provider. Plaintiff Laura Wakil holds that Unum unfairly denied her LTD benefits that were rightfully hers' according to the terms of her policy, and she is taking the insurer to court after filing an Unum lawsuit in an attempt to achieve benefits resulting from her disability.Read [ Diagnosed with Lyme Disease, Plaintiff is Denied by Unum Disability Insurance ]
February 12, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Atlanta, GA: There is little doubt that wrongly denied disability claims tend to make more noise than claims that are approved and duly paid. Such is the case with a denied disability claim that is the subject of a lawsuit against insurance provider Unum.Read [ Unum Sued for Denial of Disability Benefits ]
January 24, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Richmond, VA Kimberly Stoddard had been receiving long term disability payments under her Unum disability insurance policy for more than ten years, so it was a shock when the plan reconsidered and stopped paying her.Read [ How to Think Like a Plaintiff in a Unum Lawsuit ]
January 12, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: With a new year comes a new lawsuit against Unum Group, after a plaintiff from the Philadelphia area brought a complaint against the global insurance juggernaut. At issue in the Unum lawsuit is the abrupt termination of long term disability benefits by the insurer, allegedly without just cause.Read [ New Year, New Unum Lawsuit ]
December 17, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Portland, OR: A medical doctor who carried Unum insurance for long-term disability has launched an Unum lawsuit against the global supplier of LTD insurance after the insured’s benefits were abruptly stopped, and his LTD claim denied. The benefit to the plaintiff, according to claims made in the Unum disability claims lawsuit, amounts to $12,500 gross per month the plaintiff asserts is owed to him pursuant to the terms of his disability policy.Read [ Disabled Pediatrician Sues Unum for Denied Long Term Disability ]
December 1, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
New York, NY: In 1999, Susan Arkun, then a tax lawyer with a well-known Manhattan law firm began to suffer from “mal de debarquement,” a chronic condition characterized by nausea, dizziness and visual instability –essentially a permanent form of seasickness. Shortly thereafter, she applied for long-term disability benefits under a policy insured by Unum Group. The denials, re-directions, delay and requests for additional information went on for 16 years before she filed a pro se lawsuit in the Southern District of New York. In September 2017, more than 18 years after the onset of symptoms, the court held that her claim was barred by the statute of limitations. Tarry, Hinder & Delay wins again!Read [ How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim ]
November 14, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: An Unum lawsuit alleging unpaid Unum disability benefits has been filed by a Pennsylvania nurse claiming her rightful benefits were not only denied, but that the insurer failed to consider evidence that duly supported her claim.Read [ Unum Accused of Denying Disability Benefits as Corporate Profits Rise ]
- Unum Group Appears as Innocent Bystander in Insurance Denial Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-17)
- Unum Lawsuits Face SSDI Offset Snag By Anne Wallace (Aug-13-17)
- Denied Disability Plaintiffs Overdue for Unum’s Cutting Board? By Jane Mundy (Jul-20-17)
- Two Unum Lawsuits Filed Within Days of One Another Claim Unfair Denial By Gordon Gibb (Jul-9-17)
- Unum’s Suspension of Benefits and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jun-11-17)
- An Award-Winning Employee Culture at Unum Can’t Stop Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (May-27-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Claims While Giving Away Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-8-17)
- NY Judge Won't Reassign Unum Disability Lawsuit Over Question of Impropriety By Deb Hipp (Feb-2-17)
- Disability Lawsuit filed, Others say ‘Bah Humbug’ to Unum By Gordon Gibb (Dec-30-16)
- SEC Filing Reveals Unum Bad Faith Insurance Class Action Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Nov-26-16)
- Unum’s “Gainful Employment” Spells Long Term Disability Denial By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-16)
- Unum Proposes Long-term Disability Rate Hikes, Seniors Furious By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-16)
- Unum’s Invasion of Privacy By Jane Mundy (Aug-3-16)
- Unum’s Outside Medical Examiners and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jul-2-16)
- “Don’t Ever Settle,” Advises Unum Policyholder By Jane Mundy (Jun-4-16)
- Judge Finds for Defendant in Unum Life Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (May-25-16)
- Unum Taketh and Giveth Away By Jane Mundy (May-14-16)
- Report: Unum Insurance Among the Worst By Heidi Turner (Apr-28-16)
- Unum’s Latest Bad Faith Practice By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-16)
- Unum Group Agrees to Settle Unum Lawsuit for $46 Million By Gordon Gibb (Mar-21-16)
- Another Illegal Practices Lawsuit against Unum By Jane Mundy (Mar-2-16)
- Disabled Veteran Denied Unum Benefits, Hired Crooked Attorney By Jane Mundy (Jan-6-16)
- Unum Health Insurance Still Bullies and Harasses By Jane Mundy (Nov-3-15)
- Unum Employee Denied Unum Disability Benefits By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-15)
- Ex-Wife Lies to Unum, Results in Denied Disability By Jane Mundy (Jul-1-15)
- Unum Denial Based on Nurse’s Recommendation By Jane Mundy (May-4-15)
- Unum’s Charitable Donations Sure to Infuriate Policyholders’ Denied Disability Benefits By Jane Mundy (Mar-4-15)
- One Point for Unum By Jane Mundy (Feb-1-15)
- “Unum Believes It Trumps Doctors - Lawsuit Filed” By Jane Mundy (Jan-2-15)
- Unum Terminates Depression Claim, Just in Time for Christmas By Jane Mundy (Dec-1-14)
- More Denied Disability Lawsuits against Unum By Jane Mundy (Nov-1-14)
- Nurse Says Unum Ordered Her Back to Work, but She Might Kill Someone! By Jane Mundy (Oct-5-14)
- Unum Denies and Policyholders in Denial By Jane Mundy (Sep-7-14)
- Unum Disregards Doctors, Time for Legal Help By Jane Mundy (Aug-7-14)
- How Disability Insurance Works with ERISA: Disability Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-7-14)
- Unum and Its Internal Appeals Process By Jane Mundy (Jun-3-14)
- Unum Still in Denial as Unum Lawsuits Continue to be Filed By Jane Mundy (May-2-14)
- Can Unum Demand Payback? By Jane Mundy (Apr-2-14)
- Disability Claimants: Unum May Be Watching, Listening or Hacking By Jane Mundy (Mar-7-14)
- Unum Still Denying Fibromyalgia but Unum Loses Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Feb-4-14)