Home Page >> Unum Insurance >> Articles
December 1, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
New York, NY: In 1999, Susan Arkun, then a tax lawyer with a well-known Manhattan law firm began to suffer from “mal de debarquement,” a chronic condition characterized by nausea, dizziness and visual instability –essentially a permanent form of seasickness. Shortly thereafter, she applied for long-term disability benefits under a policy insured by Unum Group. The denials, re-directions, delay and requests for additional information went on for 16 years before she filed a pro se lawsuit in the Southern District of New York. In September 2017, more than 18 years after the onset of symptoms, the court held that her claim was barred by the statute of limitations. Tarry, Hinder & Delay wins again!Read [ How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim ]
November 14, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: An Unum lawsuit alleging unpaid Unum disability benefits has been filed by a Pennsylvania nurse claiming her rightful benefits were not only denied, but that the insurer failed to consider evidence that duly supported her claim.Read [ Unum Accused of Denying Disability Benefits as Corporate Profits Rise ]
October 13, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Allentown, PA: Unum Group is not isolated from incurring the wrath of policyholders having been denied what are thought to be legitimate claims. The insurance industry as a whole tends to view claims as nuisance, or false claims unless proven otherwise and either deny claims outright or simply stop benefits, allegedly without cause. Lawsuits alleging bad faith insurance have followed, including those launched against Unum after claimants have filed an Unum lawsuit alleging unfair treatment.Read [ Unum Group Appears as Innocent Bystander in Insurance Denial Lawsuit ]
August 13, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Phoenix, AZ: On August 7, 2017, a federal judge in Arizona denied a long term disability plaintiff’s motion for partial summary judgment based, roughly speaking, on the sheer worthlessness of his LTD ride, according to Lexis Legal News. The decision is more bad news for Unum lawsuit plaintiffs, who have long struggled with similar issues.Read [ Unum Lawsuits Face SSDI Offset Snag ]
July 20, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
San Francisco, CA: One of the largest health insurers is back in the news, allegedly up to its old tricks of bad faith insurance tactics. Three Unum policy holders claim that their disability benefits were wrongfully terminated, according to their lawsuits. All the complaints were filed in California in June.Read [ Denied Disability Plaintiffs Overdue for Unum’s Cutting Board? ]
July 9, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Los Angeles, CA: Two lawsuits against Unum Group within days of each other both allege unfair denial of disability benefits. The Unum disability insurance lawsuits are yet another reflection of tactics allegedly employed by Unum, and the insurance industry overall, aimed at denying benefits to consumers that are contractually their due.Read [ Two Unum Lawsuits Filed Within Days of One Another Claim Unfair Denial ]
June 11, 2017. By Jane Mundy.
Chattanooga, TN: If you receive disability benefits from the health insurance provider Unum , you might want to seek legal advice if and when they send you a “Suspension of Benefits” letter: it is likely another bad faith tactic to deny your benefits altogether.Read [ Unum’s Suspension of Benefits and Outsourcing ]
May 27, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: Unum Group, which calls Chattanooga home, may hold a place amongst the Top 500 employers in the US as ranked by Forbes. However, such lofty plaudits have not stopped a Unum lawsuit from a woman who claimed Unum insurance stopped her benefits without just cause.Read [ An Award-Winning Employee Culture at Unum Can’t Stop Lawsuits ]
April 8, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Pensacola, FL: Unum Group appears to be talking from both sides of its mouth, in denying what are held to be legitimate disability claims by the plaintiff in an Unum lawsuit, while at the same time stretching its philanthropic muscles for the benefit of others through charitable giving. Such charity and empathy however do not appear to be extended to deserving clients.Read [ Unum Accused of Denying Claims While Giving Away Millions ]
February 2, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
New York, NY: A New York magistrate judge presiding over an Unum disability lawsuit alleging that First Unum Life Insurance improperly terminated a woman's disability coverage refused to remove herself from the case after the plaintiff's attorney questioned whether that judge had represented the insurer six years ago while a partner at Proskauer Rose LLP.Read [ NY Judge Won't Reassign Unum Disability Lawsuit Over Question of Impropriety ]
- Disability Lawsuit filed, Others say ‘Bah Humbug’ to Unum By Gordon Gibb (Dec-30-16)
- SEC Filing Reveals Unum Bad Faith Insurance Class Action Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Nov-26-16)
- Unum’s “Gainful Employment” Spells Long Term Disability Denial By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-16)
- Unum Proposes Long-term Disability Rate Hikes, Seniors Furious By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-16)
- Unum’s Invasion of Privacy By Jane Mundy (Aug-3-16)
- Unum’s Outside Medical Examiners and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jul-2-16)
- “Don’t Ever Settle,” Advises Unum Policyholder By Jane Mundy (Jun-4-16)
- Judge Finds for Defendant in Unum Life Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (May-25-16)
- Unum Taketh and Giveth Away By Jane Mundy (May-14-16)
- Report: Unum Insurance Among the Worst By Heidi Turner (Apr-28-16)
- Unum’s Latest Bad Faith Practice By Jane Mundy (Apr-5-16)
- Unum Group Agrees to Settle Unum Lawsuit for $46 Million By Gordon Gibb (Mar-21-16)
- Another Illegal Practices Lawsuit against Unum By Jane Mundy (Mar-2-16)
- Disabled Veteran Denied Unum Benefits, Hired Crooked Attorney By Jane Mundy (Jan-6-16)
- Unum Health Insurance Still Bullies and Harasses By Jane Mundy (Nov-3-15)
- Unum Employee Denied Unum Disability Benefits By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-15)
- Ex-Wife Lies to Unum, Results in Denied Disability By Jane Mundy (Jul-1-15)
- Unum Denial Based on Nurse’s Recommendation By Jane Mundy (May-4-15)
- Unum’s Charitable Donations Sure to Infuriate Policyholders’ Denied Disability Benefits By Jane Mundy (Mar-4-15)
- One Point for Unum By Jane Mundy (Feb-1-15)
- “Unum Believes It Trumps Doctors - Lawsuit Filed” By Jane Mundy (Jan-2-15)
- Unum Terminates Depression Claim, Just in Time for Christmas By Jane Mundy (Dec-1-14)
- More Denied Disability Lawsuits against Unum By Jane Mundy (Nov-1-14)
- Nurse Says Unum Ordered Her Back to Work, but She Might Kill Someone! By Jane Mundy (Oct-5-14)
- Unum Denies and Policyholders in Denial By Jane Mundy (Sep-7-14)
- Unum Disregards Doctors, Time for Legal Help By Jane Mundy (Aug-7-14)
- How Disability Insurance Works with ERISA: Disability Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-7-14)
- Unum and Its Internal Appeals Process By Jane Mundy (Jun-3-14)
- Unum Still in Denial as Unum Lawsuits Continue to be Filed By Jane Mundy (May-2-14)
- Can Unum Demand Payback? By Jane Mundy (Apr-2-14)
- Disability Claimants: Unum May Be Watching, Listening or Hacking By Jane Mundy (Mar-7-14)
- Unum Still Denying Fibromyalgia but Unum Loses Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Feb-4-14)
- What’s Good Enough for Social Security Not Good Enough for Unum By Jane Mundy (Dec-10-13)
- Unum’s Proverbial Runaround By Jane Mundy (Nov-15-13)
- An Honest Unum Representative Hard to Find By Jane Mundy (Oct-4-13)
- Unum Named Second-Worst Insurance Company in US By Heidi Turner (Sep-8-13)
- More Unum Bad Faith Tactics By Jane Mundy (Aug-1-13)
- Unum Giving More of the Usual “Runaround” By Jane Mundy (Jul-9-13)
- Unum Denies Another Fibromyalgia Case, Attorney to Appeal By Jane Mundy (Jun-3-13)
- Unum Policyholder: Unum Reads the Contract “The Way They Want” By Heidi Turner (May-7-13)