LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONHome Page >> Financial Elder Abuse >> Articles
Financial Elder Abuse Articles
December 11, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Elder Financial Abuse: Whom Do You Trust? ]
Orange, CA Retired attorney Peter T. Hoss, who advocates for seniors and contributes a column to the Monterey County Herald (12/9/13), writes that trust is an important component of aging. As seniors become less capable in their financial affairs or lose a spouse who handled the family finances, putting one’s trust in an individual while not falling victim to elder abuse financial exploitation is not an easy task.
November 29, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Charges Filed in California Financial Elder Abuse Case ]
Los Angeles, CA With the rate of financial elder abuse reportedly on the rise, states such as California are attempting to prevent elderly financial abuse. To that end, charges have reportedly been laid against a man who allegedly committed elder exploitation by stealing from his aunt.
November 23, 2013. By Brenda Craig.
Read [ Outrage Over Financial Exploitation of Elderly Drives California Lawyer ]
Beverly Hills, CA After 45 years practicing law, Phil Brown could go golfing and forget about coming to the office every day. Instead, he says he can’t wait to get to work every morning. His focus for almost a decade now has been financial elder abuse.
November 15, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Financial Elder Abuse Not What the Doctor Ordered ]
Scotts Valley, CA The challenges surrounding Financial Elder Abuse are magnified by an increasingly aging population, together with heightened dependence on others for care and a reduced cognitive capacity. The latter provides a conduit for unsavory activity by family members and caregivers who see an opening and take advantage of an elderly individual.
October 27, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Financial Elder Abuse: “We’re Targets,” Says Advocate for Change ]
Thousand Oaks, CA There are many ways in which Financial Elder Abuse can happen. Financial advisors and product brokers can attempt to sell a trusting senior on a product that would benefit the broker in commissions, but amounts to the worst possible product for the senior given their stage in life. Family members can also take advantage, and family exploitation is a common thread weaving through elder abuse cases.
October 6, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ California to Take a Tougher Stance on Financial Elder Abuse ]
San Diego, CA California is expected to pass three bills that will take a tougher stance on financial elder abuse than existing laws currently do. Those laws, which deal with elderly financial abuse, would not only update the definition of undue influence as it relates to elder abuse, but would also require notary publics to report suspected elder abuse.
September 23, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Swindled Seniors: Former California Judge to Be Sentenced, Florida Lawsuit Continues ]
Fort Myers, FL An elderly woman who earned just $1,800 in monthly income between her Social Security check and her pension was somehow persuaded to take out a life insurance policy worth $7.5 million. According to her son’s financial elder abuse attorney, the woman was saddled with a trust and allegedly persuaded to take out a loan valued at $1.1 million in order to satisfy premiums of $742,000. The woman’s son, who carries on with a Financial Elder Abuse lawsuit on behalf of his now-deceased mother, notes that such alleged deception of vulnerable individuals should serve as a rallying cry for advocates concerned about financial exploitation of seniors.
September 3, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ California Bill Makes It Easier to File a Financial Elder Abuse Lawsuit ]
Sacramento, CA Victims of financial elder abuse in California may find it easier to file an elderly financial abuse lawsuit now that Assembly Bill 381 has been passed. The bill gives victims of financial elderly abuse by those who have power of attorney the ability to recover attorney’s fees and costs if they are successful in their lawsuit.
August 22, 2013. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Financial Elder Abuse Stealing by Any Other Name ]
Sacramento, CA The state of California has one of the toughest and broadest laws protecting against Financial Elder Abuse in the US. So broad, in fact, that under financial elder abuse law if a business were to dispense the wrong change to a consumer and the individual was in a position to prove he was 65 or over, then the issuance of wrongful change could be interpreted as financial abuse of the elderly.
August 6, 2013. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Financial Elder Abuse Often Perpetrated by Trusted Family and Friends ]
Anaheim, CA Most people would like to think that those who would commit financial elder abuse in California or across the US are strangers or people not closely associated with the victim, not trusted family and friends. But the truth is that much California elderly financial abuse is committed by the victim’s loved ones. Friends, children and siblings of seniors have all been among those accused of committing elder abuse financial exploitation. Unfortunately, when elder abuse is committed by a loved one, it can be difficult for the victim or other family members to report it, meaning financial elder abuse nationally and in California is generally underreported.
- Financial Elder Abuse Via Silver-Tongued Swindlers By Gordon Gibb (May-28-10)
- Financial Elder Abuse Victimizes Elder's Grandson By Heidi Turner (Apr-7-09)
- The Horror of Financial Elder Abuse By Heidi Turner (Feb-5-09)
- When Financial Advisors Commit Elder Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jan-30-09)
- Seniors Duped in Financial Elder Abuse Scams By Gordon Gibb (Jan-17-09)
- Understanding Financial Elder Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jan-13-09)
- Attorney Ingrid Evans Stands Up for Seniors By Brenda Craig (Jan-12-09)
- You Never Suspect Your Siblings of Financial Elder Abuse: Part 2 By Heidi Turner (Jan-5-09)
- You Never Suspect Your Siblings of Financial Elder Abuse By Heidi Turner (Jan-4-09)
- Financial Elder Abuse "Despicable" By Heidi Turner (Dec-28-08)
- The Grinch Lives in San Mateo, and Commits Financial Elder Abuse By Gordon Gibb (Dec-23-08)
- Woman Found Guilty of Financial Elder Abuse By Heidi Turner (Dec-16-08)
- Recovering Money Lost to Financial Elder Abuse By Heidi Turner (Nov-28-08)
- Brothers Commit Financial Elder Abuse Against Family Members By Heidi Turner (Nov-19-08)
- As Financial Elder Abuse Goes, This Story Could be a Movie By Gordon Gibb (Nov-12-08)
- Financial Elder Abuse: Children Victimizing Their Parents By Heidi Turner (Nov-4-08)
- Lawyer: It's Worthwhile to File Financial Elder Abuse Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Nov-3-08)
- Seniors Victimized in Financial Elder Abuse Scams By Heidi Turner (Oct-24-08)
- In a Troubled Economy, Financial Elder Abuse on the Rise By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-08)
- Financial Elder Abuse: Mother Victimized by Son, Daughter By Heidi Turner (Oct-5-08)
- Interview with Financial Elder Abuse Attorney Philip Brown By Heidi Turner (Oct-1-08)
- Financial Elder Abuse Law: Protecting Those Who Can't Protect Themselves By Heidi Turner (Sep-25-08)
- Financial Elder Abuse: Dad Did Not Sign Away Rights By Heidi Turner (Sep-19-08)