Emergency Room Charges Articles
February 23, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Grand Rapids, MI:Judy Burton did what most people do when they begin suffering unexplained pains while at home on a Saturday evening: she proceeded to the nearest emergency room to get checked out. The Michigan resident told FOX 17 News (11/17/17) that she wound up not requiring treatment after her pains subsided and after about an hour simply left the waiting room and went home. Imagine her surprise when she received a bill about 2 weeks later for over $1,000 in emergency room charges.Read [ Michigan Patient Billed Over $1,000 for Sitting in the Waiting Room ]
Medical Billing and Hospital Overcharges - What Happened to the Hippocratic Oath of "first, do no harm"?
February 19, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Tampa, FL: Attorney Ben Stewart is seeing an increase in hospital overcharging, mostly to uninsured people. "Look carefully at your medical bills. If you have been overcharged and have either started a payment schedule or completed payment, you may be entitled to monetary damages," says Stewart.Read [ Medical Billing and Hospital Overcharges - What Happened to the Hippocratic Oath of "first, do no harm"? ]
February 3, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC Since 2009 emergency room charges have jumped by as much as 85 percent. Are patients really sicker? Has the actual cost of care gone up that much? Are hospitals price-gouging? For both uninsured patients and those with big deductibles, the bottom line is the same – a gaping hole in the pocketbook.Read [ Are ER’s Cashing in on Upcoding? ]
January 25, 2018. By Brenda Craig.
Los Angeles, CA: There is an increasing amount of evidence to show that charges for emergency room treatment in American hospitals varies, and varies widely. One hospital might charge $1,000 for a particular test or treatment while another hospital might charge $12,000 for the exact same services.Read [ Class Actions Get Relief for Uninsured and Overbilled Hospital Patients ]
January 14, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: A study into medical bills, treatment costs at hospitals and emergency room charges undertaken last year and published in May by the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine confirmed what we already know: charges for medical care can be excessive when compared to what Medicare and Medicaid interprets as the true value for services.Read [ Emergency Room Charges and What to Do About Them ]
October 30, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Boston, MA: Regardless of the machinations undertaken by the Trump Administration to replace the so-called ‘Obama Care’ with something that may, or may not be superior the fact remains that health care costs continue to balloon, with hospital billings and emergency room charges chronically higher than rates set by Medicare. With such hospital overcharging going on, it’s little wonder patients seek justice with an ER bill lawsuit, or similar.Read [ ER Bills and Hospital Overcharging: It’s Not Getting Any Better ]
December 26, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Lowell, MI: The last thing a person needs at this time of year are disputable emergency room charges over and above the Christmas bills that will soon be rolling in from the holidays. Advocates suggest that all too often ER bills are inaccurate, too high and are almost impossible to resolve without the help of a professional.Read [ Advocacy Often the Difference between Fair Billing and Getting Fleeced ]
December 18, 2016. By Jane Mundy.
Crewe, VA: No medical insurance? If it’s not a life-threatening situation, you may want to reconsider treatment at a hospital’s emergency room. Carlos could have saved thousands of dollars if he was treated by a veterinarian. Instead he is dealing with outrageous emergency room overcharges.Read [ ER Hospital Overcharges: Bat Bite Cost Uninsured $40K ]
December 8, 2016. By Jane Mundy.
Lubbock, NM: Not only do hospitals overcharge patients, mostly uninsured patients, for emergency room visits. One air ambulance company that provides emergency air medical service is facing several class action lawsuits alleging overpricing.Read [ Hospital Overcharges Up in the Air ]
November 29, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
New York, NY: Beyond any attempt to determine why emergency room charges are so high in New York and other states, is the reality of sometimes receiving treatment from a practitioner outside of a patient’s insurance network, leaving the patient with little choice but to cover the bill. In a situation such as this, it equates to finding oneself under-insured.Read [ Hospital Overcharging Made Worse by Out-of-Network Practitioners ]
- If You’re Uninsured Hospital Overcharges can Ruin Your Credit, and More… By Jane Mundy (Nov-22-16)
- Two hour Emergency Room Charge more than 7-star Hotel By Jane Mundy (Nov-7-16)
- Uninsured Patients in Greater Danger of Hospital Overcharges By Gordon Gibb (Oct-28-16)
- Don’t Let Unpaid Hospital Bills Ruin Your Life By Brenda Craig (Oct-16-16)
- Hospital Overcharges: Attorney Can Help Uninsured By Jane Mundy (Sep-29-16)
- “I Might Have to Start Stripping to Pay My ER Overcharges Bill” By Jane Mundy (Oct-17-15)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Lawsuit Filed By Jane Mundy (Sep-20-15)
- ER Charge for Splinter Removal: Cha-Ching! By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-15)
- ER Overcharges Case? Attorney Weighs In By Jane Mundy (Jul-7-15)
- Hospitals Raise ER Overcharges By Jane Mundy (Jun-6-15)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Start with Getting There By Jane Mundy (May-16-15)
- Canadians Are Targets for Emergency Room Overcharges By Jane Mundy (Apr-28-15)
- Hospital Overcharging Included $2,500 Billed for Individual Surgical Screws By Gordon Gibb (Mar-15-15)
- Outrageous Emergency Room Overcharges for Uninsured By Jane Mundy (Feb-26-15)
- ER Overcharges: Better to Seek Treatment Elsewhere By Jane Mundy (Jan-25-15)
- Emergency Room Charges: A Popsicle, Exam & Quick Fix for $10,000 By Gordon Gibb (Jan-7-15)
- ER Overcharges Bill Warrants Heart Attack By Jane Mundy (Dec-28-14)
- Patients Allege Excessive Fees Linked to ER Care By Heidi Turner (Dec-13-14)
- Emergency Room Overcharges Attorney: Overcharging Uninsured “Almost a National Scandal” By Heidi Turner (Nov-23-14)
- Proposed Florida Class-Action ER Charges Lawsuit Expands By Gordon Gibb (Oct-27-14)
- Attorney: Hospital ER Overcharges “Unfair” By Heidi Turner (Oct-8-14)
- Predatory ER Overcharges and Hospital Overbilling Has to Stop By Gordon Gibb (Oct-3-14)
- “I’d Rather Pay an Attorney Than the Hospital for ER Overcharges” By Jane Mundy (Apr-3-14)
- Hounded by Swedish Medical Center for ER Overcharges Payment By Jane Mundy (Mar-1-14)
- Victim: “Get an Attorney before ER Overcharges Bankrupt You” By Jane Mundy (Feb-12-14)
- ER Overcharges for Services Not Rendered By Jane Mundy (Jan-27-14)
- Hospital Overcharging Comes in Many Forms By Gordon Gibb (Jan-14-14)
- Hospital Overcharges: Bill for Broken Leg Comes In At $63,000 By Gordon Gibb (Dec-24-13)
- ER Overcharges: Sicker Leaving ER Than Arriving By Jane Mundy (Dec-7-13)
- Emergency Room Charges, Hospital Overcharging Not a New Problem By Gordon Gibb (Nov-26-13)
- ER Overcharges—No Rhyme or Reason By Jane Mundy (Nov-11-13)
- Attorney Files ER Overcharges Class-Action Lawsuit By Jane Mundy (Oct-29-13)
- Inflated Emergency Room Charges: Is Common Sense on Life Support? By Gordon Gibb (Oct-17-13)
- ER Overcharges “Sickening” By Jane Mundy (Oct-10-13)
- Swedish Medical Center ER Overcharges: $10,000 for a Stomachache By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-13)
- Emergency Room Charges a Bitter Pill for Man Who Lost Thumb By Gordon Gibb (Sep-15-13)
- ER Overcharges for Non-Insured Shocking By Jane Mundy (Sep-2-13)
- Emergency Room Overcharges: “The Hospital Should Be Sued and Ashamed” By Jane Mundy (Aug-20-13)
- Eleven Thousand Bucks for Eleven Minutes: Hospital Overcharging By Gordon Gibb (Jul-14-12)
- “I’m Fighting This ER Bill All the Way” Says ER Overcharges Victim By Jane Mundy (Jul-2-12)