Depakote Birth Defect Articles
July 10, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Depakote Settlement Increased with Punitive Damages ]
St. Louis, MO In the first of a possible series of Depakote trials, a jury awarded $15 million in compensatory damages. The St. Louis jury then added $23 million in punitive damages to a 12-year-old girl with spina bifida, which is a birth defect associated with Depakote.
May 29, 2015. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ $23 Million Verdict Awarded in First Depakote Birth Defects Lawsuit ]
St. Louis, MO A $23 million settlement has been awarded to a Minnesota girl ending a lawsuit against Abbott Laboratories in which the girl’s family alleged the epilepsy drug Depakote caused the girl’s birth defects. This is the first verdict against Abbott, the maker of Depakote.
May 22, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Depakote a Bitter Pill After Recent Verdict for Abbott ]
Bend, OR The Depakote verdict in a recent bellwether trial cleared the drugmaker of responsibility for a child’s birth defects. Abbott Laboratories did not deny that Depakote caused the plaintiff’s spina bifida but argued that the mother understood the risks of both taking and not taking the epilepsy drug.
February 21, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Depakote for Migraine? Weigh the Risks ]
Tampa, FL The decision to discontinue taking Depakote and risk an epileptic seizure during pregnancy isn’t easy. While most doctors agree that valproic acid (Depakote) should be a last resort for pregnant women, the consensus is that seizures are worse for the babies than risking Depakote birth defects. But why prescribe the drug for migraine or bipolar disorder?
January 14, 2015. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ More Depakote Birth Defect Claims—Spina Bifida and Autism ]
Tampa, FL As more women learn about Depakote birth defects, they are asking their doctors to prescribe other anti-seizure drugs. And more Depakote lawsuits are being filed against Abbott Laboratories.
December 12, 2014. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Depakote Spina Bifida Lawsuit, Abbott Laboratories ]
Portland, OR Valerie was taking Depakote for bipolar disorder but stopped taking it when she was pregnant. “I didn’t know I was pregnant until my ninth week and by that time the damage was already done,” she says.
November 16, 2014. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ FDA Links Depakote to Autism ]
Seattle, WA Over the past few years, a number of women who took Depakote while pregnant have filed complaints with LawyersandSettlements regarding a possible link to autism. The FDA has finally acknowledged that exposure to Depakote during pregnancy may increase the risk of autism spectrum disorders.
October 21, 2014. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Mother’s Warning: Do Not Take Depakote ]
New Orleans, LA Diane doesn’t intend to pursue a Depakote lawsuit. Instead, she filed a claim with LawyersandSettlements so that she could make public her message: Do not take Depakote if you are pregnant or even if you could become pregnant.
European Medicine Agency Warns of High Rate of Developmental Problems with Depakote (Valproate) During Pregnancy
October 15, 2014. By Lucy Campbell.
Read [ European Medicine Agency Warns of High Rate of Developmental Problems with Depakote (Valproate) During Pregnancy ]
Los Angeles, CA The risk for malformations and developmental problems in children exposed to depakote (valproate semisodium) during pregnancy has prompted The European Medicine Agency (EMA)'s Pharmacovigilance and Risk Assessment Committee to recommend strengthening the restrictions for the use of valproate in women of childbearing age.
September 20, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Depakote Decision Difficult for Pregnant Moms ]
Houston, TX When weighing the benefits of taking a medication against the potential negatives, people usually consider the severity of the condition being treated. More serious conditions might make a person willing to take a drug with more serious risks. For pregnant women taking Depakote and worried about Depakote side effects, the risks of having untreated seizures could be just as serious as the risks associated with taking Depakote during pregnancy.
- To Take or Not to Take Depakote: A Mother’s Agonizing Decision By Jane Mundy (Aug-14-14)
- Depakote Risks Outweigh Benefits? By Jane Mundy (Jul-28-14)
- “My Stepson Is the Depakote Victim” By Jane Mundy (Jun-24-14)
- File a Depakote Lawsuit Sooner Than Later By Jane Mundy (May-15-14)
- Depakote Birth Defects: “If Only We Knew” By Jane Mundy (Apr-10-14)
- Mother Warns About Depakote Birth Defects By Jane Mundy (Mar-9-14)
- Mothers Live with Depakote Guilt By Jane Mundy (Feb-3-14)
- Depakote Litigation Moving Forward By Jane Mundy (Jan-9-14)
- Depakote and Pregnancy Don’t Mix By Jane Mundy (Dec-8-13)
- The Depakote Dilemma: Seizure or Side Effects By Jane Mundy (Nov-20-13)
- Depakote Birth Defects Versus Seizures By Jane Mundy (Oct-27-13)
- Depakote Warning Too Late By Jane Mundy (Sep-16-13)
- Parents Blame Depakote for Son’s Autism By Jane Mundy (Aug-5-13)
- Depakote New Warning - Decreased IQ Scores By Jane Mundy (Jul-8-13)
- When It Comes to Depakote and Pregnancy, Be Pro-Active By Jane Mundy (Jun-13-13)
- FDA to Issue New Warnings Over Depakote Birth Defects By Gordon Gibb (May-19-13)
- Compelling Depakote Side Effects Revealed in British Study By Gordon Gibb (Apr-28-13)
- More Research Needed on Depakote By Heidi Turner (Mar-25-13)
- Depakote Birth Defects Lawsuit Filed in Illinois By Gordon Gibb (Feb-27-13)
- Study Links Depakote with Lower IQ By Heidi Turner (Feb-12-13)
- Depakote Leaves Some Patients With Questions By Heidi Turner (Jan-19-13)
- Reasons for Prescribing Depakote Could be a Factor in Lawsuits By Heidi Turner (Dec-6-12)
- Plaintiffs in Michigan Allege Depakote Birth Defects in Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-3-12)
- Depakote Associated with Higher Risk of Birth Defects By Heidi Turner (Sep-7-12)
- Mothers Sue Abbott Labs for Depakote Birth Defects By Gordon Gibb (Aug-5-12)
- Depakote Birth Defect Lawsuits Keep Coming By Gordon Gibb (Jul-10-12)
- Risk of Birth Defects Reportedly Doubles With Depakote Use By Heidi Turner (Jun-24-12)
- Abbott Settles Depakote Lawsuits for $1.6 Billion By Heidi Turner (May-11-12)
- Abbott Laboratories Faces Investigation over Marketing of Depakote By Heidi Turner (Apr-11-12)
- Depakote Birth Defects: An Uninviting Badge By Gordon Gibb (Mar-22-12)
- Depakote Birth Defects That Linger Even After Repair By Gordon Gibb (Feb-5-12)
- Studies: Risks of Congenital Defects Increased in Users of Depakote By Heidi Turner (Jan-6-12)
- Abbott Laboratories Faces Whistleblower Lawsuit Concerning Depakote By Heidi Turner (Dec-2-11)
- GSK To Pay $3 Billion to Settle Avandia Claims By Lucy Campbell (Nov-3-11)
- Depakote Given from the Womb through Kindergarten: Outcome Learning Disabilities? By Jane Mundy (Oct-14-11)
- Despite Positive Study, Depakote Side Effects Still Exist By Charles Benson (Sep-23-11)
- Depakote Birth Defects—Autism Lawsuits Next? By Jane Mundy (Sep-9-11)
- Illinois Parents Claim Daughters Suffer from Depakote Birth Defects By Charles Benson (Aug-22-11)
- Depakote, Birth Defects and What Abbott Knew—but Didn't Tell By Jane Mundy (Aug-7-11)
- A New Concern Over Depakote: Impaired Cognitive Capacity By Gordon Gibb (Jul-23-11)