Home Page >> Denied Disability Insurance >> Articles
Denied Disability Insurance Articles
January 12, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: With a new year comes a new lawsuit against Unum Group, after a plaintiff from the Philadelphia area brought a complaint against the global insurance juggernaut. At issue in the Unum lawsuit is the abrupt termination of long term disability benefits by the insurer, allegedly without just cause.Read [ New Year, New Unum Lawsuit ]
January 10, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
San Jose, CA Employers can change the terms of their long-term disability plans whenever they want. Those changes often affect what employees must show to make a disability claim, and they rarely make it easy to collect. Plans usually apply changed provisions even to employees who are already receiving benefits. They often lose those payments. But when a claimant brings a lawsuit, the US District Court for the Northern District of California recently held that rule-of-thumb is different. The plan provisions in effect when the disability accrued should govern.Read [ Denied Disability Claimant Wins when Administrator Blows Deadline ]
December 17, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Portland, OR: A medical doctor who carried Unum insurance for long-term disability has launched an Unum lawsuit against the global supplier of LTD insurance after the insured’s benefits were abruptly stopped, and his LTD claim denied. The benefit to the plaintiff, according to claims made in the Unum disability claims lawsuit, amounts to $12,500 gross per month the plaintiff asserts is owed to him pursuant to the terms of his disability policy.Read [ Disabled Pediatrician Sues Unum for Denied Long Term Disability ]
December 6, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: It is said that an educated consumer is the best customer. Were it to be true, then the wary and aware long-term disability policyholder facing long-term denied disability might have seen it coming – and might even have been in a position to prevent the denial from happening in the first place. At the very least, knowing you’re on solid ground in the face of an unfair denial to a legitimate claim, could buoy the policyholder with some assurance that at the end of the legal wrangling, things will be made right.Read [ LTD Denial: Understanding "Own Occupation" vs "Any Occupation" ]
December 1, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
New York, NY: In 1999, Susan Arkun, then a tax lawyer with a well-known Manhattan law firm began to suffer from “mal de debarquement,” a chronic condition characterized by nausea, dizziness and visual instability –essentially a permanent form of seasickness. Shortly thereafter, she applied for long-term disability benefits under a policy insured by Unum Group. The denials, re-directions, delay and requests for additional information went on for 16 years before she filed a pro se lawsuit in the Southern District of New York. In September 2017, more than 18 years after the onset of symptoms, the court held that her claim was barred by the statute of limitations. Tarry, Hinder & Delay wins again!Read [ How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim ]
November 14, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: An Unum lawsuit alleging unpaid Unum disability benefits has been filed by a Pennsylvania nurse claiming her rightful benefits were not only denied, but that the insurer failed to consider evidence that duly supported her claim.Read [ Unum Accused of Denying Disability Benefits as Corporate Profits Rise ]
November 12, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Johnstown, PA: A CIGNA long term disability lawsuit filed in September has been proposed as a class action on behalf of all persons who may have been adversely affected with regard to the handling of disability benefits by CIGNA Health and Life Insurance Co.Read [ Pennsylvania CIGNA Denied Disability Lawsuit Seeks Compensation ]
November 7, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
New York, NY: A Sun Life disability claims lawsuit dating back to 2009 initially settled, but took on added longevity with a dispute over attorneys’ fees. On Halloween day of this year a Ninth Circuit panel reversed a lower court’s ruling that originally denied an employee benefit plan appellate attorneys’ fees.Read [ Sun Life Denied Disability Benefits Lawsuit Settled Previously, But Issues Remained ]
October 15, 2017. By Anne Wallace.
Los Angeles, CA: Allegations of wrongly denied insurance claims hardly count as news, when it comes to the Standard Insurance Company. Even when disability claims are not denied outright, processing time may drag on, investigations may be delayed, requests for additional information may pile up, and claimants may even be advised not to consult a lawyer. It’s maddening, it’s frustrating, and it does harm.Read [ California ‘Bad Faith’ Claim in Disability Denial Lawsuit ]
October 13, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Allentown, PA: Unum Group is not isolated from incurring the wrath of policyholders having been denied what are thought to be legitimate claims. The insurance industry as a whole tends to view claims as nuisance, or false claims unless proven otherwise and either deny claims outright or simply stop benefits, allegedly without cause. Lawsuits alleging bad faith insurance have followed, including those launched against Unum after claimants have filed an Unum lawsuit alleging unfair treatment.Read [ Unum Group Appears as Innocent Bystander in Insurance Denial Lawsuit ]
- Veterans Still Seeking Benefits Fifty One Years after Radiation Exposure By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-17)
- Attorney Explains Difference between Definition of Disability By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-17)
- LTD Plaintiff Breaks Through ERISA Barrier By Anne Wallace (Sep-4-17)
- Disability Insurance is not a Slam Dunk says Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Aug-15-17)
- Unum Lawsuits Face SSDI Offset Snag By Anne Wallace (Aug-13-17)
- Liberty Mutual Ignored Plaintiff’s Fibromyalgia: Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-9-17)
- Guardian Denied Disability Lawsuit Goes to Mediation in Florida By Anne Wallace (Aug-8-17)
- The Tightrope Walked by Insurers Inevitably Discriminate Against Legitimate Claims By Gordon Gibb (Jul-25-17)
- Denied Disability Plaintiffs Overdue for Unum’s Cutting Board? By Jane Mundy (Jul-20-17)
- You Can Fight Back Against Denied Disability Claims By Brenda Craig (Jul-11-17)
- Two Unum Lawsuits Filed Within Days of One Another Claim Unfair Denial By Gordon Gibb (Jul-9-17)
- Unum’s Suspension of Benefits and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jun-11-17)
- The Best Strategy for Dealing with Proof of Disability Letters By Brenda Craig (Jun-7-17)
- Aetna Life Faces Lawsuit Over Denied Long Term Disability Claim By Lucy Campbell (Jun-7-17)
- An Award-Winning Employee Culture at Unum Can’t Stop Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (May-27-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Claims While Giving Away Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-8-17)
- NY Judge Won't Reassign Unum Disability Lawsuit Over Question of Impropriety By Deb Hipp (Feb-2-17)
- Disability Lawsuit filed, Others say ‘Bah Humbug’ to Unum By Gordon Gibb (Dec-30-16)
- SEC Filing Reveals Unum Bad Faith Insurance Class Action Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Nov-26-16)
- Unum’s “Gainful Employment” Spells Long Term Disability Denial By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-16)
- A Tale of Two Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Sep-16-16)
- Insurance Companies Still Allegedly Denying Legitimate Claims By Heidi Turner (Sep-12-16)
- Unum Proposes Long-term Disability Rate Hikes, Seniors Furious By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-16)
- Wrongly Denied Long Term Disability Benefits, Canadian Woman Loses Her Home By Gordon Gibb (Aug-27-16)
- Former NFL Player Files Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Aug-10-16)
- Unum’s Invasion of Privacy By Jane Mundy (Aug-3-16)
- Disabled Worker Takes on CIGNA in Long Term Denied Disability Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jul-28-16)
- Insurance Companies Forcing Policyholders to File Lawsuits to Obtain Benefits By Heidi Turner (Jul-16-16)
- Unum’s Outside Medical Examiners and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jul-2-16)
- Hartford Life Faces Denied Disability Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jun-28-16)
- Long-Term Disability Insurance: Denial Is Job One By Gordon Gibb (Jun-17-16)
- “Don’t Ever Settle,” Advises Unum Policyholder By Jane Mundy (Jun-4-16)
- Long-Term Disability Lawsuit against Eli Lilly Results in $500,000 Award By Heidi Turner (May-29-16)
- Judge Finds for Defendant in Unum Life Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (May-25-16)
- Long Term Disability Insurers: Quick to Collect, Slow to Pay By Gordon Gibb (May-17-16)
- Unum Taketh and Giveth Away By Jane Mundy (May-14-16)
- Report: Unum Insurance Among the Worst By Heidi Turner (Apr-28-16)
- New York Attorney General Files Suit Over Hepatitis Treatment By Heidi Turner (Apr-23-16)
- When Wrongly Denied Is the Status Quo By Gordon Gibb (Apr-14-16)
- Insurance Lawsuits: Even Honest Rejections of Claims Can Be Costly By Heidi Turner (Apr-7-16)