LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONHome Page >> Denied Disability Insurance >> Articles
Denied Disability Insurance Articles
December 6, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Unum: the Gift of Giving and Taking Away ]
Chicago, IL: Yet another lawsuit was filed in November against First Unum for allegedly denying long-term disability benefits. In the same month, Unum announced to the media that it had donated $300,000 to a high-school girls’ leadership program.
November 16, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Fibromyalgia Sufferer Brings LTD Lawsuit against Life Insurance Co. of North America ]
Los Angeles, CA On September 14, 2018 Marisa Finnerty filed a long term denied disability lawsuit against the Life Insurance Company of North America (LINA), alleging that she had been wrongly denied benefits under her employer, Quest Diagnostics’, long term disability and group life insurance plans. Two things stand out about this lawsuit.
November 15, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Unum’s Denial of Opioid Overdose Deaths ]
New Orleans, LA: The giant insurance company Unum—also known as First Unum -- typically denies accidental death benefits (as do most other life insurance companies) by excluding in their policy coverage for deaths related to prescription overdose or for medical or surgical treatment of a sickness or disease. But Unum’s denial didn’t sway Judge Martin Feldman this past August.
October 23, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Is a Health Plan Liable for the Negligence of an Unqualified Claims Reviewer? ]
Sherman, TX Johnson v. UnitedHealthcare raises more questions than it answers about how ERISA protects health plan participants who bring bad faith insurance lawsuits over denied medical claims. Stephen Johnson had more than his share of hardship. The law hasn’t helped him. But it’s a complicated story that will affect claimants and health insurers denying medical claims in California and throughout the country. So hang on.
October 15, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ UNUM LTD Claimants Must Beware of Exhaustion of Remedies Roadblock ]
Chattanooga, TN On September 25, 2018, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals granted UNUM Life Insurance’s motion for summary judgment, thus ending Richard Ravenscraft’s UNUM disability lawsuit on the grounds that he had not exhausted administrative remedies. These are the rocks on which many long term disability lawsuits have been dashed.
October 10, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Mother with Post-Partum Depression Denied Disability Benefits by Hartford ]
Chicago, IL: Even though Angela tried to return to work after suffering from postpartum depression, her boss advised that she apply for long term disability with Hartford Health Insurance. But Hartford didn’t agree with Angela’s boss.
September 14, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Wheeler v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Seeks LTD Benefits for Injured Seaman ]
San Diego, CA Christopher Wheeler was a Coxswain/Diesel mechanic, a contractor doing heavy physical work for the U.S. Navy Fifth Fleet. On March 17, 2015, he was badly injured during a storm at sea off Bahrain. Hospitals and rehab landed him a computer job for which he had no aptitude or training. When that didn’t work out, his employer, Exelis, Inc. terminated his employment and Metropolitan Life Insurance (MetLife) denied his long term disability benefit application. He filed a long term denied disability lawsuit on August 2, 2018 in the Southern District of California. California’s de novo standard for the review of disability claims under ERISA may work to Wheeler’s benefit.
September 13, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Dentist Claims Injury, Unum Claims Sickness to Deny ]
San Diego, CA: A dental surgeon has filed a bad faith lawsuit against Unum, or First Unum after the giant insurer denied his long term disability benefits claiming his injury is a sickness. The Unum lawsuit claims that Unum denied the dentist his rightful benefits to protect their own interests.
September 3, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Aetna Denies Disability – Is there a Doctor in the House? ]
Los Angeles, CA: California's insurance commissioner in February 2018 launched an investigation into Aetna after discovering a former medical director for the insurer (independent medical examiner) admitted under oath that he never looked at policy holder’s records to decide whether to approve or deny their long term disability benefits. Now a California woman has filed a complaint against the huge insurance provider claiming a similar issue.
Disability Claims Consultant Explains Unum’s Latest Practice to Dispute or Deny Long Term Disability Benefits
August 14, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Disability Claims Consultant Explains Unum’s Latest Practice to Dispute or Deny Long Term Disability Benefits ]
Santa Clara, CA: As a disability claims consultant and former Unum employee, Linda Nee knows just about every trick in the insurance company’s books to dispute and deny disability benefits to claimants. She says that Unum, or First Unum is “nickel and diming” its policy holders by alleging overpayments associated with SSDI and other monthly earnings offsets, including Retirement Income.
- Hartford Insurance Denies Disability Benefits and Pays Millions to bail out a town By Jane Mundy (Aug-13-18)
- Summary Judgment for Lincoln National in Barber v. Lincoln National Life Insurance Company By Anne Wallace (Jul-25-18)
- Court Orders Unum Doctor to Reveal How Much He Was Paid for His Opinion By Lori Prapas (Jul-17-18)
- Surveillance Sinks Liberty Mutual Long Term Denied Disability Lawsuits By Anne Wallace (Jul-12-18)
- MetLife Refuses to Disclose Background Claim Processing Principles By Anne Wallace (Jun-28-18)
- Big Law Employee Sues Unum Group for Denial of Benefits By Lori Prapas (Jun-22-18)
- Ninth Circuit Champions Wrongly Denied Disability Claimant By Anne Wallace (Jun-8-18)
- Unum Insurance Lawsuits Gain Momentum By Lori Prapas (May-18-18)
- Fibromyalgia sufferer wins denied disability claim lawsuit against Hartford By Anne Wallace (May-4-18)
- Another Chance after LTD Denial? Arbitrary and Capricious Standard Continues to Crumble in MetLife Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-25-18)
- Unum: You Win Some, You Lose Some By Gordon Gibb (Mar-26-18)
- Liberty Mutual Administrator Must Consider Evidence of 'Broken Heart' By Anne Wallace (Mar-13-18)
- A Tale of Two Unum Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Mar-12-18)
- A New Way for Unum Lawsuit Plaintiffs to Fight Biased Medical Review By Anne Wallace (Mar-5-18)
- Diagnosed with Lyme Disease, Plaintiff is Denied by Unum Disability Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Feb-14-18)
- Unum Sued for Denial of Disability Benefits By Gordon Gibb (Feb-12-18)
- Long Term Disability Denial Letter from Insurer is Not the End of the Road By Brenda Craig (Feb-8-18)
- How to Think Like a Plaintiff in a Unum Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jan-24-18)
- New Year, New Unum Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jan-12-18)
- Denied Disability Claimant Wins when Administrator Blows Deadline By Anne Wallace (Jan-10-18)
- Disabled Pediatrician Sues Unum for Denied Long Term Disability By Gordon Gibb (Dec-17-17)
- LTD Denial: Understanding "Own Occupation" vs "Any Occupation" By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-17)
- How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Disability Benefits as Corporate Profits Rise By Gordon Gibb (Nov-14-17)
- Pennsylvania CIGNA Denied Disability Lawsuit Seeks Compensation By Gordon Gibb (Nov-12-17)
- Sun Life Denied Disability Benefits Lawsuit Settled Previously, But Issues Remained By Gordon Gibb (Nov-7-17)
- California ‘Bad Faith’ Claim in Disability Denial Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Oct-15-17)
- Unum Group Appears as Innocent Bystander in Insurance Denial Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-17)
- Veterans Still Seeking Benefits Fifty One Years after Radiation Exposure By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-17)
- Attorney Explains Difference between Definition of Disability By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-17)
- LTD Plaintiff Breaks Through ERISA Barrier By Anne Wallace (Sep-4-17)
- Disability Insurance is not a Slam Dunk says Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Aug-15-17)
- Unum Lawsuits Face SSDI Offset Snag By Anne Wallace (Aug-13-17)
- Liberty Mutual Ignored Plaintiff’s Fibromyalgia: Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-9-17)
- Guardian Denied Disability Lawsuit Goes to Mediation in Florida By Anne Wallace (Aug-8-17)
- The Tightrope Walked by Insurers Inevitably Discriminate Against Legitimate Claims By Gordon Gibb (Jul-25-17)
- Denied Disability Plaintiffs Overdue for Unum’s Cutting Board? By Jane Mundy (Jul-20-17)
- You Can Fight Back Against Denied Disability Claims By Brenda Craig (Jul-11-17)
- Two Unum Lawsuits Filed Within Days of One Another Claim Unfair Denial By Gordon Gibb (Jul-9-17)
- Unum’s Suspension of Benefits and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jun-11-17)