Denied Disability Insurance Articles
September 14, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Wheeler v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Seeks LTD Benefits for Injured Seaman ]
San Diego, CA Christopher Wheeler was a Coxswain/Diesel mechanic, a contractor doing heavy physical work for the U.S. Navy Fifth Fleet. On March 17, 2015, he was badly injured during a storm at sea off Bahrain. Hospitals and rehab landed him a computer job for which he had no aptitude or training. When that didn’t work out, his employer, Exelis, Inc. terminated his employment and Metropolitan Life Insurance (MetLife) denied his long term disability benefit application. He filed a long term denied disability lawsuit on August 2, 2018 in the Southern District of California. California’s de novo standard for the review of disability claims under ERISA may work to Wheeler’s benefit.
September 13, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Dentist Claims Injury, Unum Claims Sickness to Deny ]
San Diego, CA: A dental surgeon has filed a bad faith lawsuit against Unum, or First Unum after the giant insurer denied his long term disability benefits claiming his injury is a sickness. The Unum lawsuit claims that Unum denied the dentist his rightful benefits to protect their own interests.
September 3, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Aetna Denies Disability – Is there a Doctor in the House? ]
Los Angeles, CA: California's insurance commissioner in February 2018 launched an investigation into Aetna after discovering a former medical director for the insurer (independent medical examiner) admitted under oath that he never looked at policy holder’s records to decide whether to approve or deny their long term disability benefits. Now a California woman has filed a complaint against the huge insurance provider claiming a similar issue.
Disability Claims Consultant Explains Unum’s Latest Practice to Dispute or Deny Long Term Disability Benefits
August 14, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Read [ Disability Claims Consultant Explains Unum’s Latest Practice to Dispute or Deny Long Term Disability Benefits ]
Santa Clara, CA: As a disability claims consultant and former Unum employee, Linda Nee knows just about every trick in the insurance company’s books to dispute and deny disability benefits to claimants. She says that Unum, or First Unum is “nickel and diming” its policy holders by alleging overpayments associated with SSDI and other monthly earnings offsets, including Retirement Income.
August 13, 2018. By Jane Mundy.
Hartford, CT: Imagine that an injury results in you being disabled and unable to return to work. You apply for long term disability but Hartford, your insurance company, denies your benefits. You don’t have any savings and no other source of income. And then you find out that Hartford, along with two other insurance companies, bails out the town of Hartford for millions of dollars – and not even their policyholders. Wouldn’t you want to be part of that payout? Wouldn’t you be angry, to say the least?Read [ Hartford Insurance Denies Disability Benefits and Pays Millions to bail out a town ]
July 25, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Summary Judgment for Lincoln National in Barber v. Lincoln National Life Insurance Company ]
Cincinnati, OH On May 18, 2018, the Sixth Circuit denied Oliver Barber’s appeal in his long term denied disability lawsuit against Lincoln Financial (the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation and insurance company affiliates). This is likely the end of the road for Barber’s lawsuit, but it was hard fought and thoroughly argued. There is a lot to learn from Barber about how to succeed in future long-term disability lawsuits.
July 17, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
Read [ Court Orders Unum Doctor to Reveal How Much He Was Paid for His Opinion ]
New Orleans, LA Unum Group has come under scrutiny yet again for alleged deceptive practices. This time the insurance giant has lost a battle in the Wittmann v. Unum Life Insurance Co. litigation. Plaintiff attorney Anne Wittmann, who alleges that she was wrongfully denied disability benefits, subpoenaed financial records from James H. Bress, M.D., who Unum hired to review her claim. Unum Group fought back, by moving to quash the subpoena. On July 11, 2018, a Federal District Judge in Louisiana Ordered that the records be turned over so Plaintiffs can ascertain whether his opinion was swayed by a financial dependence on the insurance carrier.
July 12, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Read [ Surveillance Sinks Liberty Mutual Long Term Denied Disability Lawsuits ]
Boston, MA Fifty minutes and fifty-eight seconds of video showed Donna Cusson walking her dog, shopping, and eating in a restaurant. That was enough to doom her long term denied disability lawsuit against Liberty Mutual. It is an eight-year old case, so some things have changed -- not the fact of surveillance in LTD cases, though. And now it’s not just video tape that LTD claimants have to worry about.
June 28, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Jacksonville, FL: On April, 20, 2018, the United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida denied a Metropolitan Life benefit claimant the right to see the company’s internal claim processing guidelines. Perera v. Metropolitan Life Insurance Company actually relates to death benefits, but it relies heavily on an earlier decision in a long term denied disability lawsuit against MetLife.Read [ MetLife Refuses to Disclose Background Claim Processing Principles ]
June 22, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
Greeneville, TN: On May 14, 2018, Janet Mitchell, a former employee of the mega law firm Jones Day, filed a lawsuit against both Unum and Jones Day in a Tennessee Federal Court. Mitchell states that she suffers from a constellation of health conditions that prevent her from being able to work, including coronary artery disease, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, hypertension, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. She alleges that Unum denied her claim for long-term disability benefits even though several of her treating physicians provided Unum with medical reports supporting her claim. Yet Unum denied her claim without ever having one of its own physicians examine her. The lawsuit says the denial was issued in bad faith, in order for Unum Provident to meet its monthly target.Read [ Big Law Employee Sues Unum Group for Denial of Benefits ]
- Ninth Circuit Champions Wrongly Denied Disability Claimant By Anne Wallace (Jun-8-18)
- Unum Insurance Lawsuits Gain Momentum By Lori Prapas (May-18-18)
- Fibromyalgia sufferer wins denied disability claim lawsuit against Hartford By Anne Wallace (May-4-18)
- Another Chance after LTD Denial? Arbitrary and Capricious Standard Continues to Crumble in MetLife Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Apr-25-18)
- Unum: You Win Some, You Lose Some By Gordon Gibb (Mar-26-18)
- Liberty Mutual Administrator Must Consider Evidence of 'Broken Heart' By Anne Wallace (Mar-13-18)
- A Tale of Two Unum Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Mar-12-18)
- A New Way for Unum Lawsuit Plaintiffs to Fight Biased Medical Review By Anne Wallace (Mar-5-18)
- Diagnosed with Lyme Disease, Plaintiff is Denied by Unum Disability Insurance By Gordon Gibb (Feb-14-18)
- Unum Sued for Denial of Disability Benefits By Gordon Gibb (Feb-12-18)
- Long Term Disability Denial Letter from Insurer is Not the End of the Road By Brenda Craig (Feb-8-18)
- How to Think Like a Plaintiff in a Unum Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jan-24-18)
- New Year, New Unum Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jan-12-18)
- Denied Disability Claimant Wins when Administrator Blows Deadline By Anne Wallace (Jan-10-18)
- Disabled Pediatrician Sues Unum for Denied Long Term Disability By Gordon Gibb (Dec-17-17)
- LTD Denial: Understanding "Own Occupation" vs "Any Occupation" By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-17)
- How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Disability Benefits as Corporate Profits Rise By Gordon Gibb (Nov-14-17)
- Pennsylvania CIGNA Denied Disability Lawsuit Seeks Compensation By Gordon Gibb (Nov-12-17)
- Sun Life Denied Disability Benefits Lawsuit Settled Previously, But Issues Remained By Gordon Gibb (Nov-7-17)
- California ‘Bad Faith’ Claim in Disability Denial Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Oct-15-17)
- Unum Group Appears as Innocent Bystander in Insurance Denial Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-17)
- Veterans Still Seeking Benefits Fifty One Years after Radiation Exposure By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-17)
- Attorney Explains Difference between Definition of Disability By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-17)
- LTD Plaintiff Breaks Through ERISA Barrier By Anne Wallace (Sep-4-17)
- Disability Insurance is not a Slam Dunk says Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Aug-15-17)
- Unum Lawsuits Face SSDI Offset Snag By Anne Wallace (Aug-13-17)
- Liberty Mutual Ignored Plaintiff’s Fibromyalgia: Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-9-17)
- Guardian Denied Disability Lawsuit Goes to Mediation in Florida By Anne Wallace (Aug-8-17)
- The Tightrope Walked by Insurers Inevitably Discriminate Against Legitimate Claims By Gordon Gibb (Jul-25-17)
- Denied Disability Plaintiffs Overdue for Unum’s Cutting Board? By Jane Mundy (Jul-20-17)
- You Can Fight Back Against Denied Disability Claims By Brenda Craig (Jul-11-17)
- Two Unum Lawsuits Filed Within Days of One Another Claim Unfair Denial By Gordon Gibb (Jul-9-17)
- Unum’s Suspension of Benefits and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jun-11-17)
- The Best Strategy for Dealing with Proof of Disability Letters By Brenda Craig (Jun-7-17)
- Aetna Life Faces Lawsuit Over Denied Long Term Disability Claim By Lucy Campbell (Jun-7-17)
- An Award-Winning Employee Culture at Unum Can’t Stop Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (May-27-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Claims While Giving Away Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-8-17)
- NY Judge Won't Reassign Unum Disability Lawsuit Over Question of Impropriety By Deb Hipp (Feb-2-17)
- Disability Lawsuit filed, Others say ‘Bah Humbug’ to Unum By Gordon Gibb (Dec-30-16)