Denied Disability Insurance Articles
June 22, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
Greeneville, TN: On May 14, 2018, Janet Mitchell, a former employee of the mega law firm Jones Day, filed a lawsuit against both Unum and Jones Day in a Tennessee Federal Court. Mitchell states that she suffers from a constellation of health conditions that prevent her from being able to work, including coronary artery disease, fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, hypertension, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. She alleges that Unum denied her claim for long-term disability benefits even though several of her treating physicians provided Unum with medical reports supporting her claim. Yet Unum denied her claim without ever having one of its own physicians examine her. The lawsuit says the denial was issued in bad faith, in order for Unum Provident to meet its monthly target.Read [ Big Law Employee Sues Unum Group for Denial of Benefits ]
June 8, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Los Angeles, CA In Bowlin v. The Prudential Life Insurance Company of America, the United States District Court for the Central District of California overruled Prudential’s decision to deny long term disability benefits to a worker who gave evidence of many physical and psychological ailments. Bowlin is something of a rarity in long term denied disability lawsuits because the plaintiff won. Maybe it’s a trend in California, though.Read [ Ninth Circuit Champions Wrongly Denied Disability Claimant ]
May 18, 2018. By Lori Prapas.
Ellicott City, MD: A former Maryland project manager for a real estate company has accused the Unum Group of suspending her monthly disability payments after 26 years of payments when she was elected to serve part-time on the Howard County Board of Education. Five years after notifying Unum life insurance that she had been elected to the Board of Education position, her benefits were terminated and she does not know why.Read [ Unum Insurance Lawsuits Gain Momentum ]
May 4, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Seattle, WA: Long term denied disability lawsuits have a way of careening into highly technical territory about the appropriate standard of legal review or the precise process for deciding appeals. Not so with Reetz v. Hartford Life & Accident Ins. Co. . This was an evidence case.Read [ Fibromyalgia sufferer wins denied disability claim lawsuit against Hartford ]
Another Chance after LTD Denial? Arbitrary and Capricious Standard Continues to Crumble in MetLife Lawsuit
April 25, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
New York, NY Alexander Sigal was deeply depressed and, after a period of hospitalization, found himself unable to work as a computer programmer. Benefits under his employer’s MetLife long term disability plan were eventually terminated, and his administrative appeal was denied. His ensuing MetLife LTD lawsuit, however, revealed a fatal flaw in the denial of his appeal.Read [ Another Chance after LTD Denial? Arbitrary and Capricious Standard Continues to Crumble in MetLife Lawsuit ]
March 26, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Grand Rapids, MI: While you rarely hear about it, the fact remains that in some cases an insurance company that denies an insured short, or long-term disability benefits sometimes gets it right. To wit, a federal magistrate in Michigan earlier this month determined that Unum Life Insurance Company of America was within its rights to discontinue disability benefits after two years, noting that the plaintiff's wrongly denied disability claims were not credible.Read [ Unum: You Win Some, You Lose Some ]
March 13, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Youngstown, OH Shelley Westfall and her son both worked at the same WalMart distribution center. Her son died while working there, and Shelley could not bring herself to go back to work at that location. When her long term disability benefits were discontinued, she filed a lawsuit alleging that her denied disability appeal had been wrongly decided because the plan administrator refused to consider evidence of her disabling emotional state.Read [ Liberty Mutual Administrator Must Consider Evidence of 'Broken Heart' ]
March 12, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Gibsonia, PA: Tucked in amongst a seemingly never-ending barrage of positivity stemming from the Unum camp with regard to investment, expansion and financial performance are the ever-lurking Unum insurance lawsuits alleging bad faith insurance and similar frustrations after an insurer that happily accepts monthly premiums suddenly does an about-face and pulls that plug when it comes time to pay up.Read [ A Tale of Two Unum Lawsuits ]
March 5, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC: Unum lawsuits frequently claim the insurance behemoth relies on unfair, inadequate or biased medical review to deny long term disability benefits. If and when the case goes to trial, courts tend to defer to whatever the plan administrator decided. A plaintiff could get depressed.Read [ A New Way for Unum Lawsuit Plaintiffs to Fight Biased Medical Review ]
February 14, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
San Diego, CA: A medical professional who could no longer fulfill the functions of her occupation due to a diagnosis of Lyme disease, had her long term disability benefits claim denied by her LTD provider. Plaintiff Laura Wakil holds that Unum unfairly denied her LTD benefits that were rightfully hers' according to the terms of her policy, and she is taking the insurer to court after filing an Unum lawsuit in an attempt to achieve benefits resulting from her disability.Read [ Diagnosed with Lyme Disease, Plaintiff is Denied by Unum Disability Insurance ]
- Unum Sued for Denial of Disability Benefits By Gordon Gibb (Feb-12-18)
- Long Term Disability Denial Letter from Insurer is Not the End of the Road By Brenda Craig (Feb-8-18)
- How to Think Like a Plaintiff in a Unum Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Jan-24-18)
- New Year, New Unum Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jan-12-18)
- Denied Disability Claimant Wins when Administrator Blows Deadline By Anne Wallace (Jan-10-18)
- Disabled Pediatrician Sues Unum for Denied Long Term Disability By Gordon Gibb (Dec-17-17)
- LTD Denial: Understanding "Own Occupation" vs "Any Occupation" By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-17)
- How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Disability Benefits as Corporate Profits Rise By Gordon Gibb (Nov-14-17)
- Pennsylvania CIGNA Denied Disability Lawsuit Seeks Compensation By Gordon Gibb (Nov-12-17)
- Sun Life Denied Disability Benefits Lawsuit Settled Previously, But Issues Remained By Gordon Gibb (Nov-7-17)
- California ‘Bad Faith’ Claim in Disability Denial Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Oct-15-17)
- Unum Group Appears as Innocent Bystander in Insurance Denial Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-17)
- Veterans Still Seeking Benefits Fifty One Years after Radiation Exposure By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-17)
- Attorney Explains Difference between Definition of Disability By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-17)
- LTD Plaintiff Breaks Through ERISA Barrier By Anne Wallace (Sep-4-17)
- Disability Insurance is not a Slam Dunk says Lawyer By Brenda Craig (Aug-15-17)
- Unum Lawsuits Face SSDI Offset Snag By Anne Wallace (Aug-13-17)
- Liberty Mutual Ignored Plaintiff’s Fibromyalgia: Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-9-17)
- Guardian Denied Disability Lawsuit Goes to Mediation in Florida By Anne Wallace (Aug-8-17)
- The Tightrope Walked by Insurers Inevitably Discriminate Against Legitimate Claims By Gordon Gibb (Jul-25-17)
- Denied Disability Plaintiffs Overdue for Unum’s Cutting Board? By Jane Mundy (Jul-20-17)
- You Can Fight Back Against Denied Disability Claims By Brenda Craig (Jul-11-17)
- Two Unum Lawsuits Filed Within Days of One Another Claim Unfair Denial By Gordon Gibb (Jul-9-17)
- Unum’s Suspension of Benefits and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jun-11-17)
- The Best Strategy for Dealing with Proof of Disability Letters By Brenda Craig (Jun-7-17)
- Aetna Life Faces Lawsuit Over Denied Long Term Disability Claim By Lucy Campbell (Jun-7-17)
- An Award-Winning Employee Culture at Unum Can’t Stop Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (May-27-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Claims While Giving Away Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-8-17)
- NY Judge Won't Reassign Unum Disability Lawsuit Over Question of Impropriety By Deb Hipp (Feb-2-17)
- Disability Lawsuit filed, Others say ‘Bah Humbug’ to Unum By Gordon Gibb (Dec-30-16)
- SEC Filing Reveals Unum Bad Faith Insurance Class Action Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Nov-26-16)
- Unum’s “Gainful Employment” Spells Long Term Disability Denial By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-16)
- A Tale of Two Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Sep-16-16)
- Insurance Companies Still Allegedly Denying Legitimate Claims By Heidi Turner (Sep-12-16)
- Unum Proposes Long-term Disability Rate Hikes, Seniors Furious By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-16)
- Wrongly Denied Long Term Disability Benefits, Canadian Woman Loses Her Home By Gordon Gibb (Aug-27-16)
- Former NFL Player Files Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Aug-10-16)
- Unum’s Invasion of Privacy By Jane Mundy (Aug-3-16)
- Disabled Worker Takes on CIGNA in Long Term Denied Disability Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jul-28-16)