Denied Disability Insurance Articles
March 13, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Youngstown, OH Shelley Westfall and her son both worked at the same WalMart distribution center. Her son died while working there, and Shelley could not bring herself to go back to work at that location. When her long term disability benefits were discontinued, she filed a lawsuit alleging that her denied disability appeal had been wrongly decided because the plan administrator refused to consider evidence of her disabling emotional state.Read [ Liberty Mutual Administrator Must Consider Evidence of 'Broken Heart' ]
March 12, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Gibsonia, PA: Tucked in amongst a seemingly never-ending barrage of positivity stemming from the Unum camp with regard to investment, expansion and financial performance are the ever-lurking Unum insurance lawsuits alleging bad faith insurance and similar frustrations after an insurer that happily accepts monthly premiums suddenly does an about-face and pulls that plug when it comes time to pay up.Read [ A Tale of Two Unum Lawsuits ]
March 5, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Washington, DC: Unum lawsuits frequently claim the insurance behemoth relies on unfair, inadequate or biased medical review to deny long term disability benefits. If and when the case goes to trial, courts tend to defer to whatever the plan administrator decided. A plaintiff could get depressed.Read [ A New Way for Unum Lawsuit Plaintiffs to Fight Biased Medical Review ]
February 14, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
San Diego, CA: A medical professional who could no longer fulfill the functions of her occupation due to a diagnosis of Lyme disease, had her long term disability benefits claim denied by her LTD provider. Plaintiff Laura Wakil holds that Unum unfairly denied her LTD benefits that were rightfully hers' according to the terms of her policy, and she is taking the insurer to court after filing an Unum lawsuit in an attempt to achieve benefits resulting from her disability.Read [ Diagnosed with Lyme Disease, Plaintiff is Denied by Unum Disability Insurance ]
February 12, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Atlanta, GA: There is little doubt that wrongly denied disability claims tend to make more noise than claims that are approved and duly paid. Such is the case with a denied disability claim that is the subject of a lawsuit against insurance provider Unum.Read [ Unum Sued for Denial of Disability Benefits ]
February 8, 2018. By Brenda Craig.
Minneapolis, MN Disability insurance is intended to help individuals through rough spots, providing them with income when health problems keep them off the job. However, insurance companies are big corporations concerned about their bottom line. Unless policy holders can stand up to the insurance company's strict requirements during the critical cross over period from short term disability to long term disability there is a risk the benefits will be denied.Read [ Long Term Disability Denial Letter from Insurer is Not the End of the Road ]
January 24, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Richmond, VA Kimberly Stoddard had been receiving long term disability payments under her Unum disability insurance policy for more than ten years, so it was a shock when the plan reconsidered and stopped paying her.Read [ How to Think Like a Plaintiff in a Unum Lawsuit ]
January 12, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Philadelphia, PA: With a new year comes a new lawsuit against Unum Group, after a plaintiff from the Philadelphia area brought a complaint against the global insurance juggernaut. At issue in the Unum lawsuit is the abrupt termination of long term disability benefits by the insurer, allegedly without just cause.Read [ New Year, New Unum Lawsuit ]
January 10, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
San Jose, CA Employers can change the terms of their long-term disability plans whenever they want. Those changes often affect what employees must show to make a disability claim, and they rarely make it easy to collect. Plans usually apply changed provisions even to employees who are already receiving benefits. They often lose those payments. But when a claimant brings a lawsuit, the US District Court for the Northern District of California recently held that rule-of-thumb is different. The plan provisions in effect when the disability accrued should govern.Read [ Denied Disability Claimant Wins when Administrator Blows Deadline ]
December 17, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Portland, OR: A medical doctor who carried Unum insurance for long-term disability has launched an Unum lawsuit against the global supplier of LTD insurance after the insured’s benefits were abruptly stopped, and his LTD claim denied. The benefit to the plaintiff, according to claims made in the Unum disability claims lawsuit, amounts to $12,500 gross per month the plaintiff asserts is owed to him pursuant to the terms of his disability policy.Read [ Disabled Pediatrician Sues Unum for Denied Long Term Disability ]
- LTD Denial: Understanding "Own Occupation" vs "Any Occupation" By Gordon Gibb (Dec-6-17)
- How Unum LTD Denials Forced Statute Of Limitations Ruling Against Victim By Anne Wallace (Dec-1-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Disability Benefits as Corporate Profits Rise By Gordon Gibb (Nov-14-17)
- Pennsylvania CIGNA Denied Disability Lawsuit Seeks Compensation By Gordon Gibb (Nov-12-17)
- Sun Life Denied Disability Benefits Lawsuit Settled Previously, But Issues Remained By Gordon Gibb (Nov-7-17)
- California ‘Bad Faith’ Claim in Disability Denial Lawsuit By Anne Wallace (Oct-15-17)
- Unum Group Appears as Innocent Bystander in Insurance Denial Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-17)
- Veterans Still Seeking Benefits Fifty One Years after Radiation Exposure By Gordon Gibb (Oct-5-17)
- Attorney Explains Difference between Definition of Disability By Jane Mundy (Sep-28-17)
- LTD Plaintiff Breaks Through ERISA Barrier By Anne Wallace (Sep-4-17)
- Unum Lawsuits Face SSDI Offset Snag By Anne Wallace (Aug-13-17)
- Liberty Mutual Ignored Plaintiff’s Fibromyalgia: Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Aug-9-17)
- Guardian Denied Disability Lawsuit Goes to Mediation in Florida By Anne Wallace (Aug-8-17)
- The Tightrope Walked by Insurers Inevitably Discriminate Against Legitimate Claims By Gordon Gibb (Jul-25-17)
- Denied Disability Plaintiffs Overdue for Unum’s Cutting Board? By Jane Mundy (Jul-20-17)
- Two Unum Lawsuits Filed Within Days of One Another Claim Unfair Denial By Gordon Gibb (Jul-9-17)
- Unum’s Suspension of Benefits and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jun-11-17)
- The Best Strategy for Dealing with Proof of Disability Letters By Brenda Craig (Jun-7-17)
- Aetna Life Faces Lawsuit Over Denied Long Term Disability Claim By Lucy Campbell (Jun-7-17)
- An Award-Winning Employee Culture at Unum Can’t Stop Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (May-27-17)
- Unum Accused of Denying Claims While Giving Away Millions By Gordon Gibb (Apr-8-17)
- NY Judge Won't Reassign Unum Disability Lawsuit Over Question of Impropriety By Deb Hipp (Feb-2-17)
- Disability Lawsuit filed, Others say ‘Bah Humbug’ to Unum By Gordon Gibb (Dec-30-16)
- SEC Filing Reveals Unum Bad Faith Insurance Class Action Settlement By Gordon Gibb (Nov-26-16)
- Unum’s “Gainful Employment” Spells Long Term Disability Denial By Jane Mundy (Oct-25-16)
- A Tale of Two Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuits By Gordon Gibb (Sep-16-16)
- Insurance Companies Still Allegedly Denying Legitimate Claims By Heidi Turner (Sep-12-16)
- Unum Proposes Long-term Disability Rate Hikes, Seniors Furious By Jane Mundy (Sep-3-16)
- Wrongly Denied Long Term Disability Benefits, Canadian Woman Loses Her Home By Gordon Gibb (Aug-27-16)
- Former NFL Player Files Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Aug-10-16)
- Unum’s Invasion of Privacy By Jane Mundy (Aug-3-16)
- Disabled Worker Takes on CIGNA in Long Term Denied Disability Lawsuit By Gordon Gibb (Jul-28-16)
- Insurance Companies Forcing Policyholders to File Lawsuits to Obtain Benefits By Heidi Turner (Jul-16-16)
- Unum’s Outside Medical Examiners and Outsourcing By Jane Mundy (Jul-2-16)
- Hartford Life Faces Denied Disability Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (Jun-28-16)
- Long-Term Disability Insurance: Denial Is Job One By Gordon Gibb (Jun-17-16)
- “Don’t Ever Settle,” Advises Unum Policyholder By Jane Mundy (Jun-4-16)
- Long-Term Disability Lawsuit against Eli Lilly Results in $500,000 Award By Heidi Turner (May-29-16)
- Judge Finds for Defendant in Unum Life Insurance Lawsuit By Heidi Turner (May-25-16)
- Long Term Disability Insurers: Quick to Collect, Slow to Pay By Gordon Gibb (May-17-16)