LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATIONHome Page >> Bill Collector Harassment >> Articles
Bill Collector Articles
March 6, 2018. By Gordon Gibb.
Minneapolis, MN: It was just over a year ago that convenience retail giant SuperAmerica settled a TCPA lawsuit brought by a plaintiff representing a proposed class of similarly-affected litigants 175,000 strong. At issue were unwanted solicitations in the form of text messages that plaintiffs claimed were illegal under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act. The lawsuit was brought in the State of Minnesota.Read [ Unwanted Text Messages Results in $3.5 Million Settlement ]
February 6, 2018. By Anne Wallace.
Chaska, MN: By the middle of 2017, after more than 128 bill collector harassment calls Kristie Drigger had had enough. She sued Capital One Bank in Minnesota District Court, seeking at least $1,500 per telephone call made in violation of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).Read [ Minnesota Consumer Sues Capital One over 128 Bill Collector Robocalls to Cellular Phone ]
June 1, 2016. By Gordon Gibb.
Washington, DC: There is little doubt that illegal robocalls remain a blight on the communications horizon as Americans continue to have their rights for privacy and solitude violated by a seemingly unending parade of unwanted calls to private voice lines, fax lines and cell phones. This, in spite of recent changes to the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) requiring purveyors of such calls to obtain a consumer’s written permission to receive.Read [ Robocalls Continue to Foster Illegal Telemarketer Lawsuits as Rules Further Tighten ]
May 18, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Debt Collector Lawsuit by Feds Shuts Down Bogus Bill Collector ]
Buffalo, NY Recent events appear to have taken debt collector harassment to a new level, with bogus debt collectors calling and harassing seniors and other innocent consumers in the state of Florida, coercing them into making payments on debt they didn’t even owe. And in Buffalo, New York, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) has taken down a phony debt-collection operation that also had ties to the Atlanta area.
May 13, 2015. By The National Trial Lawyers.
Bad debt collectors have become a worsening problem in the lives of consumers. According to Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s annual report:Read [ Unscrupulous Debt Collectors Generate 88,300 Complaints a Year ]
April 28, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Debt Collector Harassment Costs Green Tree Millions ]
Washington, DC Debt collector harassment can come in many forms and from many different purveyors of angst and unfairness. In this case, the harassment came at the hands of a mortgage servicing company that was alleged to have stooped to various forms of bill collector harassment, including multiple calls per day and sometimes as early as 5 am with threats of arrest, seizure of property and foreclosure.
March 17, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Debt Collector Harassment Can Take Many Forms ]
Washington, DC Lest anyone make a consumer feel like a second-class citizen for having debt, remember that well-managed debt makes the world go round and the term “debtor” is nothing to be ashamed of. And even in the face of unavoidable circumstances, were a consumer to miss a payment or two, there are certain rules a debt collector must follow in order to pursue that debt within the letter of the law, in order to avoid harassment and unfair practices. Otherwise, a debt collector lawsuit is justified.
February 21, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ DriveTime Hit with $8 Million Settlement for Debt Collector Harassment ]
Washington, DC They’re known as the DriveTime Automotive Group Inc. (DriveTime) and undertake business as the largest so-called “buy-here, pay-here” automotive dealer in the US. DriveTime has also been accused of debt collector harassment, to the point where they agreed to an $8 million settlement in November of last year to settle charges of violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) brought the charges.
January 20, 2015. By Gordon Gibb.
Read [ Tampa Bay Couple Awarded $1 Million in Debt Collector Harassment Lawsuit ]
Tampa, FL A couple in Tampa Bay who were harassed by the Bank of America over mortgage payments have won a $1 million default judgment in a debt collector lawsuit. It is not known if Bank of America will appeal. The case, however, speaks volumes about what lengths debt collectors will go to collect from, and ultimately harass, a debtor.
December 12, 2014. By Heidi Turner.
Read [ Debt Collector Owes $33,000 for Harassing Consumer ]
Anaheim, CA An alleged case of debt collector harassment has led to a bill collector harassment lawsuit that resulted in a debt collector owing $33,000 to the person he attempted to collect from. In addition to repeatedly calling the consumer, the debt collector allegedly made nasty comments about the woman’s weight and continued phoning even after she paid her debt. According to ABC News (11/29/14), however, now the debt collector refuses to pay.
- Collection Agency Liable for Charging Debtor for Calls By The National Trial Lawyers (Nov-18-14)
- “Terms of Endurement”: Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Nov-11-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment to See Federal Oversight By Gordon Gibb (Oct-28-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment Lawsuit Filed against Kaiser Foundation By Heidi Turner (Sep-15-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment: An Envelope Is a Window of Opportunity By Gordon Gibb (Aug-31-14)
- CFPB Files Claim against Debt Collection Lawsuit Mill By Heidi Turner (Aug-16-14)
- ACE Cash Express to Pay $10 Million for Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Jul-30-14)
- Lawsuit Filed Over Debt Collector Harassment By Heidi Turner (Jul-11-14)
- Court Decision Could Make It Easier to Sue for Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Jun-26-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment Nightmare Continues for Consumers By Heidi Turner (Jun-10-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment Is Bullying by Any Other Name By Gordon Gibb (May-28-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment Profitable for Some Companies By Heidi Turner (May-11-14)
- Bill Collector Harassment: It’s an Issue of Language By Gordon Gibb (Apr-25-14)
- Debt Collectors to Surrender $3.3 Million in Assets By Heidi Turner (Apr-17-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment a Serious Problem By Heidi Turner (Mar-20-14)
- Consumers Protected from Debt Collector Harassment By Heidi Turner (Feb-25-14)
- Debt Collector Issues Extend beyond Harassment By Heidi Turner (Feb-13-14)
- Debt Collector Harassment Lawsuits: The Litigation of 2014? By Heidi Turner (Jan-25-14)
- Victim of Debt Collector Harassment Sees Credit Score Smeared By Gordon Gibb (Jan-4-14)
- Payday Lender in Trouble for Debt Collector Violations By Heidi Turner (Dec-22-13)
- BBB Reports Debt Collector Harassment Complaints Up 58 Percent By Gordon Gibb (Dec-7-13)
- Tales from the Dark Side of Debt Collection By Brenda Craig (Nov-30-13)
- New Debt Collection Regulations Under Consideration By Heidi Turner (Nov-27-13)
- Elderly Pennsylvania Woman Caught in Debt Collector Harassment Scam By Gordon Gibb (Nov-8-13)
- Bank of America to Pay $32 Million to Resolve Debt Collector Harassment Claims By Heidi Turner (Oct-27-13)
- Collection Agency Agrees to $1 Million Civil Penalty for Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Oct-13-13)
- Make Debt Collectors Pay for Harassing You By Brenda Craig (Sep-30-13)
- Debt Collector Harassment Finds a New Crusader By Gordon Gibb (Sep-29-13)
- States Warn About Debt Collector Harassment By Heidi Turner (Sep-6-13)
- One Woman’s Fight against Debt Collector Harassment By Gordon Gibb (Aug-23-13)
- New York Eyes Anti-Debt Collector Harassment Laws By Heidi Turner (Aug-4-13)
- Agencies Step Up Oversight Of Debt Collector Harassment By Heidi Turner (Jul-23-13)
- $3.2 Million Debt Collector Harassment Penalty Largest So Far By Gordon Gibb (Jul-11-13)
- When Bill Collection Is a Scam By Heidi Turner (Jun-29-13)
- Inside Illegal Debt Collection Harassment: Why It Happens By Gordon Gibb (Jun-11-13)
- Protecting Yourself from Debt Collector Harassment By Heidi Turner (May-10-13)
- Violations of Debt Collection Laws By Heidi Turner (Apr-23-13)
- Debt Collector Harassment Horror Stories Are Sometimes Chilling By Gordon Gibb (Mar-26-13)