Legal News Articles - Automotive
February 13, 2018. By Lucy Campbell.
Santa Cruz,CA: Takata, the Japanese maker of airbags that contained defective inflators, which caused injuries and more than a dozen deaths of drivers and passengers, has reached a settlement to pay tort claimants.Read [ Takata Reaches Settlement Deal with Injured Drivers ]
June 13, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Honolulu, HI: The State of Hawaii is suing Ford, Nissan and Toyota for marketing and selling vehicles with Takata airbags that could potentially explode and cause injuries or death.Read [ Hawaii Sues Three Automakers Over Defective Takata Airbags ]
June 1, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Miami, FL: Airbag injuries suffered by unsuspecting victims are frustrating enough when caused by a safety device designed to protect, rather than injure. The massive Takata airbag recall involving millions of vehicles is the most widely-cited example of the problem. However a lesser-known issue, but one just as compelling involve used airbags and recycled airbags that have the capability of injuring, or causing death.Read [ The Growing Concern over Recalled Airbags in Used Car Repairs ]
May 12, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Washington, DC: In a potentially crushing blow to General Motors, the US Supreme Court has declined to consider an appeal from the automaker asking for a legal shield to protect GM from lawsuits related to faulty ignition switches on its vehicles.Read [ Supreme Court Won't Review GM's Appeal For Protection Against Ignition Switch Lawsuits ]
May 12, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Kansas City, MO: Recent reports of airbag injuries suffered by a young woman in an older-model car that had been in an accident and returned to the road with a replacement airbag, together with media reports originating from Kansas City with regard to recycled airbags, points to an entirely new issue with recalled airbags, and accompanying airbag lawsuits.Read [ Airbag Injuries and Defective Airbags Getting More Complicated ]
May 10, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Santa Clara, CA: Recalled airbags may be recycled as replacement airbags in vehicles that have been in accidents, according to a news report on the Kansas City news station, KSHB.com. In an interview with KSHB, Carfax representative Christopher Basso states that it’s not uncommon to find recycled airbags used to replace deployed ones, which may be dangerous. Basso told KSHB that while recycled airbags may be less expensive, recalled airbags could potentially slip through the cracks and possibly be placed into repaired or used cars.Read [ Recalled Airbags Being Recycled in Crash-Affected Vehicles ]
May 5, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Mansfield, TX: The advertisements are everywhere: on television, and on the radio in practically every state in the nation. Easy money, provided you own your own vehicle within a certain age parameter. If you own your car, you can qualify for a car title loan on the spot. It’s quick and easy.Read [ Calls for Increased Regulation of Car Title Loans Increasing ]
April 24, 2017. By Gordon Gibb.
Abilene, TX: Texas is one of two US states (the other being New Mexico) that as yet does not observe any kind of blanket arbitration protocol for the resolution of disputes involving the car title loan. The latter is a form of financing akin to a payday loan that extends quick cash to consumers, often with no questions asked and exorbitant annual rates of interest that can run into the hundreds of percent.Read [ Lack of State Oversight Prompting Texas City to Act ]
April 19, 2017. By Lucy Campbell.
Santa Clara, CA: A $55 million jury verdict brought against Honda Motor Co, in 2014 will stand, according to a ruling by the Pennsylvania Superior Court. The settlement resulted from a personal injury lawsuit against Honda that alleged the automotive manufacturer ignored a seat belt defect. The suit was brought by a man who claimed that defect resulted in his becoming paralyzed.Read [ $55M Personal Injury Verdict Against Honda Stands ]
April 17, 2017. By Deb Hipp.
Winston-Salem, NC: Two lawsuits filed in North Carolina last year against Takata Corp. over defective airbag injuries were voluntarily dismissed in January 2017 in favor of trying to work out a settlement, according to the Winston-Salem Journal.Read [ Airbag Lawsuits Dismissed as Parties Try to Work Out Settlement ]
- Fender Bender Air Bag Deployment Left Texas Woman with Eye Damage By Brenda Craig (Mar-24-17)
- Takata to Pay $1B for Airbag Scandal By Lucy Campbell (Feb-28-17)
- Family Blames Takata Airbag for Woman's Death By Deb Hipp (Feb-23-17)
- $15.3 Million Settlement over Predatory Lending By Gordon Gibb (Feb-10-17)
- Ford Increases Recall Over Defective Takata Airbags By Lucy Campbell (Jan-13-17)
- 2017 Expected to be a Landmark Year for Airbag Injury Litigation By Gordon Gibb (Jan-6-17)
- Attorney: It's Mind Boggling Ammonium Nitrate Was Used in Airbags By Heidi Turner (Nov-9-16)
- $14.2B Settlement Finalized in VW Emissions Class Action By Lucy Campbell (Oct-26-16)
- Another Airbag Lawsuit Filed Against Takata By Heidi Turner (Oct-3-16)
- Is Texas Truck Crash a Telling Commentary on Takata Defective Airbags? By Gordon Gibb (Sep-20-16)
- Truck with Takata Airbag Inflators Explodes By Lucy Campbell (Aug-31-16)
- The Machinations behind a Defective Airbag Settlement, Takata CEO Shielded By Gordon Gibb (Aug-13-16)
- Airbag Injuries Result in Settlement By Heidi Turner (Jul-10-16)
- Harley Davidson Brake Failure Subject of NHTSA Investigation By Lucy Campbell (Jul-8-16)
- Attorney Rich Newsome on Airbag Litigation By Brenda Craig (Jun-25-16)
- Airbag Injuries Read Like a Bad Horror Movie By Gordon Gibb (Jun-23-16)
- Seatback Collapse Litigation “Alive and Well” By Brenda Craig (Jun-23-16)
- Anton Yelchin Killed by Jeep Grand Cherokee Under Recall By Lucy Campbell (Jun-21-16)
- Are More People at Risk for Airbag Injuries? By Heidi Turner (Jun-12-16)
- Millions More Takata Airbags Recalled By Heidi Turner (May-31-16)
- Hawaii Becomes First State to Sue Over Defective Airbags and Horrific Injuries By Gordon Gibb (May-19-16)
- Accident Attorneys Rob Ammons and Jim Dunnam Help Family Win Record-Setting $27.5 Million Recovery Against Sanderson Farms By LAS Staff Writer (May-6-16)
- Takata Airbag Recalls Increases by 35 Million Vehicles By Lucy Campbell (May-5-16)
- Lawsuit Filed In Harris County For Tenth Death Caused By Takata Ammonium Nitrate Airbag By The National Trial Lawyers (Apr-28-16)
- VW Agrees to Buy Back or Fix 500,000 US Diesel Vehicles By Lucy Campbell (Apr-21-16)
- VW Dealerships File Consumer Fraud Class Action By Lucy Campbell (Apr-8-16)
- CaseyGerry Files Wrongful Death Lawsuit on Behalf of Boy After Father Killed in Tragic Ontario, Calif., Accident By LAS Staff Writer (Mar-19-16)
- Investigation Reveals Cause of Exploding Takata Airbags By Lucy Campbell (Feb-23-16)
- New Jersey Lawsuit Filed against Volkswagen Over VW Emissions Scandal By Gordon Gibb (Feb-16-16)
- Despite Recalls and Lawsuits, Airbags Still Linked to Deaths By Heidi Turner (Feb-2-16)
- Volkswagen Faces VW Recall Lawsuit by US Department of Justice By Gordon Gibb (Jan-11-16)
- VW Car Dealerships Hurting This Holiday Season Sue Volkswagen Group By Jane Mundy (Dec-19-15)
- Volkswagen Made Several Versions of Defeat Devices By Lucy Campbell (Oct-20-15)
- Texas County Is First Government Agency to Sue VW for Environmental Harm By The National Trial Lawyers (Oct-1-15)
- Attorney: Volkswagen Owners Could Suffer Tremendous Financial Impact By Heidi Turner (Sep-30-15)
- Car Sellers in Class Action against VW Germany By Brenda Craig (Sep-29-15)
- Clean Diesel Technology Claim Deceived Millions of VW Owners By Brenda Craig (Sep-28-15)
- VW Owners File $1 Billion Suit By Brenda Craig (Sep-24-15)
- Jury Awards $67 Million to Passenger Paralyzed in Chain Reaction Auto Accident By The National Trial Lawyers (Sep-4-15)
- Chrysler False-Park Wrongful Death Suit Revived by the Ninth Circuit By The National Trial Lawyers (Jul-18-15)