Request Legal Help Now - Free


Illinois Residents Exposed to Potentially Carcinogenic Drinking Water

About 11, 250 suburban Chicago residents have potentially suffered long-term exposure to cancer causing chemicals through contaminated well water, according to a recent report in the Chicago Tribune. The report has prompted Illinois Governor Pat Quinn to order an inquiry into why Crestwood residents were not informed about the contaminated drinking water.

The well water was reportedly polluted with vinyl chloride and perchloroethylene, which are believed to have originated from dry-cleaning facilities located in the area. Both of these chemicals are known carcinogens and are also associated with other severe health problems.

According to the Tribune report the contamination went on for years before the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) put a stop to it. Furthermore, the EPA never notified the residents that they were at risk.

While there is a law, initiated in 2005, which states that a notification must be issued if residents are exposed to contamination through groundwater or soil, a loophole in the law allows for environmental regulators to notify city officials only, and not the residents, and this appears to by what has happened.

APRIL-22-09: Contaminated drinking water discovered [UPI: CONTAMINATED DRINKING WATER DISCOVERED IN ILLINOIS]

Legal Help

If you or a loved one has suffered ill health as a result of consuming contaminated water, please click the link below and your complaint will be sent to a lawyer who may evaluate your claim at no cost or obligation.
Published on Apr-22-09


Fields marked * are mandatory. Please read our comment guidelines before posting.


Note: Your name will be published with your comment.

*Email Address:

Your email will only be used if a response is needed.
*Your Comment:

Are you the defendant or a subject matter expert on this topic with an opposing viewpoint? We'd love to hear your comments here as well, or if you'd like to contact us for an interview please submit your details here.

Request Legal Help Now! - Free