Birth Control Lawsuits
Various types of birth control have been linked in studies and lawsuits to serious health complications, including blood clots and pseudotumors. Some class action birth control lawsuits have resulted in settlements with the plaintiffs. Other lawsuits are just getting underway.
FREE BIRTH CONTROL LAWSUIT EVALUATION
GET LEGAL HELP NOW
Among the types of hormonal birth control are pills, injections, rings implanted in the vagina, and intrauterine devices (IUDs).
Birth Control and Drospirenone
In 2012, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a warning about drospirenone, noting that birth control pills that contained drospirenone "may be associated with a higher risk for blood clots than other progestin-containing pills." When it made the warning, the FDA noted that the studies it relied on did not account for patient characteristics that could affect the risk of blood clots.
Some studies have linked drospirenone to an increased risk of venous thromboembolism, deep vein thrombosis and gall bladder disease.
Oral contraceptives that contain drospirenone:
Lawsuits have been filed against the makers of newer generation birth control pills, alleging women were not properly warned about the increased risks associated with the contraceptives.
Intrauterine Birth Control
Levonorgestrel, the synthetic hormone in Mirena, has been linked to an increased risk of pseudotumor cerebri (also known as idiopathic intracranial hypertension) a condition involving high blood pressure in the skull. Symptoms of pseudotumor cerebri include moderate to severe headaches, ringing in the ears, nausea, impaired vision, and pain in the neck or shoulder.
Birth Control Lawsuits
As of May 15, 2015, approximately 3,000 lawsuits concerning Yaz and Yasmin are still consolidated in MDL 2100. The lawsuits allege women were harmed by the use of Yaz or Yasmin and were not properly warned about the risk.
Birth Control Legal HelpIf you or a loved one has suffered similar damages or injuries, please click the link below and your complaint will be sent to a lawyer who may evaluate your claim at no cost or obligation.
Last updated on
- FDA recibe cientos de quejas sobre el implante anticonceptivo Essure
- Essure Birth Control Defective Product Lawsuit Filed
- Essure Side Effects Lawsuitalleging heavy bleeding, intense pelvic pain; requiring a total hysterectomy
- FDA Receives Hundreds of Complaints About Essure Contraceptive Coils
- Beyaz may allegedly cause blood clots and other side effects.
- Mirena IUD Side Effects Lawsuit risk of Uterine Perforation and Pseudotumor Cerebri
- Yasmin, Yaz, Ocella, Safyral and Beyaz alleging oral contraceptive can cause blood clots and other side effects.
- NuvaRing contraceptive allegedly can cause blood clots, heart attack and stroke.
Bayer to Settle Essure Birth Control Lawsuits for $1.6 Billion
Essure’s Shelf Life in the US Soon to Expire
- "Essure Problems" Women Bring FDA's Data to Meeting that FDA were Unaware Of
- More Pressure to Withdraw Essure
- Court Rules in Favor of Essure Contraceptive Device Maker
- “I want this Mirena IUD out, over and done with.”
- “Physicians tell us they are working on how best to remove Essure,” says member of Essure Support Group
READ MORE Personal Injury Settlements and Legal News