Request Legal Help Now - Free

Advertisement
LAWSUITS NEWS & LEGAL INFORMATION

Foot Drop since hip replacement/Nerve damage from surgery

Foot Drop since hip replacement/Nerve damage from surgery

by rasbury » Apr-26-05 7:16 am

I am a 44 yr old woman who had a right side total hip replacement on 1/27/05 (was 43 at that time. As a result of the surgery, which caused nerve damage, I now have a condition called foot drop. This causes me to have no control to lift my ankle or toes, which makes walking very difficult, and driving impossible. Also, I suffer from "nerve pain", which is horrible. I constantly ache in my thigh and calf to the point I can't stand to touch the affected areas. I have electrical jolts (best way I can think to describle) in my ankle and foot down to the tips of my toes. This is like being tortured. I can't tell that my condition has improved in the slightest in 3 months.

My doctor is insistant that I will get over this. His time frame for recovery has went from 6-8 weeks, then 8-12 weeks, then 12-14 MONTHS, then the last tiime I saw him a few days ago, he said it could take up to 2 years. He then told me nerves heal an inch a month. I am quite tall, 5'9", so my legs are approximately 3 ft. long. That's 3 years worth of nerves to heal. I left there very upset and he didn't even charge me for the office visit.

My question is, "Do I have a med. malpractice suit?" My doctor didn't discuss this risk with me beforehand at all. As a matter of fact, he didn't discuss any risk with me. He just talked like he was the best orthopedic surgeon who walked and I was in good hands. I was well aware of what foot drop was and just how debilitating it is, as my ex-husband has suffered with foot drop since '91 from a serious head injury. I would have never risked this surgery had I known, and especially since (from what I've read on the internet) I was a higher risk because I have had a previous hip surgery.

I am so much worse off now than I was before my surgery. :cry: I'm scared to death this could be permanent.
Could anyone advise me about this? thx, robin

About the foot drop problem

by Jean » Jun-15-05 2:25 pm

I am pretty sure you have a case because I have heard of people with foot drop and they sought legal advice. It would not hurt to seek some legal advice.

by diane » Oct-27-06 7:32 pm

Hi
I am new here and you may not even see this but wanted to respond anyway,
I have the same condition as you and it has been 3 years for me, Every state is different in the time you have to sue but the thing is, It's too expensive to sue a Dr and most attorneys wont do it unless there is millions involved
Diane (hope ou got bette) :P

Request Legal Help Now! - Free